By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why No PS4 Adjustments Yet? (They've been updated)

ya,i swear sony been literally saying(I think ms said it too for their first million xone) ''sold through to customers''. multiple times now with every new ps4 sales milestone

Around the Network
binary solo said:
GribbleGrunger said:

We have had official numbers for a while now and it stands at 5.3 million, so why is it that the numbers are still short by 110,000, even if you take the numbers to be EXACLY 5.3? Sony have said they're OVER 5.3, so I'm assuming the numbers should really be adjust up by about 150,000.

I'd say the numbers were/are pretty accurate at the moment but surely it makes sense to keep track now and not later.

The official number was "We estimate...over 5.3 million". Now sony could have precise numbers down to the nearest 10 or 100 units sold to consumers but we actually don't know the level of precision. Their estimate could be out by as much as 1 or 2 %. If that the case then the actual number could be under 5.3 million in which case VGC is so close that an adjustment is totally unnecessary.

The only number Sony knows precisely is the number of PS4's they've shipped. Retail sales numbers are estimates no matter who is releasing the information, it's just that some estimates are more likely to be accurate than others.

The VGC number is fine to stay as it is.

But sony should be more accurate, because they know what they shipped, they know how long their supply chain takes to get to shops, they know how many re orders have been made, they know how many consoles have been activated online. They have the means to be far more accurate than VGC can ever be. 

Xenostar said:
binary solo said:
GribbleGrunger said:

We have had official numbers for a while now and it stands at 5.3 million, so why is it that the numbers are still short by 110,000, even if you take the numbers to be EXACLY 5.3? Sony have said they're OVER 5.3, so I'm assuming the numbers should really be adjust up by about 150,000.

I'd say the numbers were/are pretty accurate at the moment but surely it makes sense to keep track now and not later.

The official number was "We estimate...over 5.3 million". Now sony could have precise numbers down to the nearest 10 or 100 units sold to consumers but we actually don't know the level of precision. Their estimate could be out by as much as 1 or 2 %. If that the case then the actual number could be under 5.3 million in which case VGC is so close that an adjustment is totally unnecessary.

The only number Sony knows precisely is the number of PS4's they've shipped. Retail sales numbers are estimates no matter who is releasing the information, it's just that some estimates are more likely to be accurate than others.

The VGC number is fine to stay as it is.

But sony should be more accurate, because they know what they shipped, they know how long their supply chain takes to get to shops, they know how many re orders have been made, they know how many consoles have been activated online. They have the means to be far more accurate than VGC can ever be. 

I agree, but it's still an esimate and we don't know how accurate they are. So because VGC's estimate is within 3% of Sony's estimate then VGC's current reported estimate is completely acceptable and does not require adjustment. Because Sony's figure is expected to be the most accurate estimate you could start calling for adjustments if VGC is 5% or more out. Unlike with say NPD where VGC really only needs to think about adjusting if the differrence is over about 15%.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

From what I can tell vgc only adjust unless official numbers are out of the margin of error. In this case we are talking like 5% so I see no reason to adjust. 250k which would be 15% or so and it would be justified

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

if you follow the weekly sales threads, you can see Ethomaz posts the weekly adjusments that VGC has made to previous weeks, and it happens almost every week, with adjustments as small as a 1000 units, so 100,000 is a fairly big deal, put it this way its 2 weeks worth of current xbox one sales and you wouldnt expect them to go missing.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
Dunno. But I am impressed by VGC's hardware accuracy... Can't say the same for software though.

you must have missed Jan NPD where the Wii U, 360, XB1, Ps3, and 3DS were all off by large amounts

Ontopic: I dont mind. the numbers may be off now but they will fix themselves when ps4 stock is availble

bigjon said:
From what I can tell vgc only adjust unless official numbers are out of the margin of error. In this case we are talking like 5% so I see no reason to adjust. 250k which would be 15% or so and it would be justified

More like 28%.

Well I find the vgchartz number pretty accurate.

Which was not at all the case for NPD january XB1 numbers of course.

Patience. They will adjust them eventually. For now they will have to worry about their Japan data points for next week.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.