By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Launched in Japan!

darthdevidem01 said:
Hoping for a new FFXV trailer today at this livestream!

Don't get your hopes up. Better not expect any surprises or new announcements.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

But we got Uncharted at the NA one

ninetailschris said:

"WiiU was poorly placed in Japan, with many customers getting their Nintendo fix on the 3DS after its sales had improved.

3DS launch in Japan was terrible, just as it was everywhere else in the world because early support was borderline nonexistant, and the media had run with stories of kids getting headaches and/or seizures from the 3D screen for weeks prior to its launch."

Psst, 3DS was doing fine when the WiiU first launched, hence my comment, you misunderstood it entirely.

"Vita launched with a high price and against the relative success of the thriving (in japan) PSP that not only had an expansive library but cheaper games"

if I didn't read this clearly.. couldn't I just replace psp with ps3 and vita with ps4? Exactly. Ps4 has literally no games if you already own a ps3. Well no relevant games. 

PlayStation 3 games cost the same in Japan as PS4 games, in addition to this, the Vita was also contending with the now-successful 3DS too, What home console is the PS4 contending with exactly?, You can say PS3 if you want but a large portion of the PlayStation fans in Japan are looking for something new.

"For all of the Nintendo systems, advertising in stores, on TV and on the streets was also virtually non existant, so the demographic most likely to buy it did not understand what the product even was."

Not for 3ds.

Oh im sorry, I didnt know you were the same as me and have spent the last half of you life actually LIVING HERE.
Advertising for the 3DS in Japan was almost non-existant when it launched, there were no train station ads, very few TV commercials, very little magazine space, very little coverage on TV.

"The huge difference here is that the entire country has seen the success of the PS4 elsewhere, and the media has nothing but praise for the console, with extensive advertising in every store, on the streets, in subway car displays, on TV and radio."

That is probably the biggest hyperbole statement ever. The entire country doesn't know or even care about the ps4. Heck not even the USA cares that much. It's success in other countries has nothing to do with it's success in Japan. The determines the success in a Japan is games and where the market is going. Mobile systems are the future as Japan as already spoke. Even in ps3 best days it was selling anywhere near the handhelds. That's ds and psp. Advertising isn't going to change that. The games that relevant are locked on handheld.

TV shows here are very patriotic, as are magazines, they have been bragging about the success of the PS4 in countries outside of Japan since the day it was launched, many of the large electronics stores have been taking advantage of it with signs such as "best selling console worldwide" and "1m sold in america in a single day", the hype is here and the hype is real, sorry to burst your bubble.

"But hey, don't take my word for it, see for yourself in a week when the sales are in."

After seeing bandai comments it seems like even he sees it's fate. Bandai knows more about the market than you or some friend that's excited. When says come, I will be back to say I was wrong or right.

And if I am wrong you will get a full apology, however I suspect you will be the one saying you were wrong.

My prediction still stands at 400-650k ish.

vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

You are speaking to someone who's been crazily hyped for 8 years now...the hoping will never go down LOL ...it's all we have!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Will we even have an English translation of the event?

ktay95 said:
vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

But we got Uncharted at the NA one

Well what we got was a trailer that showed nothing of a game that we all knew would come.

So the equivalent for that would be the same, only this time for a known japanese IP that the west doesn't care about^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Do you need one?

vivster said:
JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Do you need one?

Well I'm wondering if I should stay up or not. Yes I don't know Japanese.

JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:
JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Do you need one?

Well I'm wondering if I should stay up or not. Yes I don't know Japanese.

If there are any things worth seeing you won't need a translator. Trailers and splash images usually transcend language.

So it really depends on if you expect anything worth seeing. The babble in between probably won't be more than marketing and numbers. And if there is by chance anything worthwhile hearing you will probably get that from live comments of english speaking users.