By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Launched in Japan!

http://z0r.de/2332
This is pretty much every gamer in Japan right now.

Pretty crazy to think that next time the sun sets after tonight, PlayStation 4 will be the highest selling 8th generation console.

Around the Network

Cool to see that lot of poeple are waiting for the ps4 in Japan!

Gundam Extrem VS FORCE!!!                                            The KING Of Fighting Games is BACK #SFV   

Gaming consoles owned so far:-NES,- GB Advenced, -PS3,-XBOX360,- PS VITA, PS4!   PC: @i5 4570,GTX960 Factory Overclock

Make your own youtube channel to keep memories of your live gaming expirience

Official PSVita Thread!                                   Freedom Wars Threads!!                                COMG! Japan Pre-order chart

Am I correct that the launch event starts in 2h?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

It's 17:55 now in Japan, so it's another 6 hours and 5 minutes till midnight.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

manuel said:
vivster said:

It's 17:55 now in Japan, so it's another 6 hours and 5 minutes till midnight.

They said the launch event would start 8pm local.

edit: looks like I misread that somewhere. It's actually starting 10:30pm. So 4,5h still :(

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Oh, so it starts before midnight. A bit more than 4 hours.

Damn, I start feeling excited although I'm not even in the market for a PS4.
A launch of new hardware is always interesting.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

manuel said:
Oh, so it starts before midnight. A bit more than 4 hours.

Damn, I start feeling excited although I'm not even in the market for a PS4.
A launch of new hardware is always interesting.

Just wait for the X1 launch event in Japan then. It will be hueg!

lucidium said:
ninetailschris said:
"While this is indeed a small cross section of both the country and the community, the demand for the console is clearly high and the comments regarding the inability to secure a preorder in most stores rang true as of all the stores i frequent i have rarely ever seen preorder slots available unless they had been put out or advertised within an hour or my arrival."

I honestly don't understand, how people can creditable make this argument anymore.
We seen it now 5 times. Lines/pre-orders in Japan means absolutely nothing.

Preorders hard to get for Wiiu? It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for vita? It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for 3ds? It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for vita tv. It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for ps3 fat. You get the point.
When will this argument based on pre-orders die?

For all we know they shipped as little as vita tv. Obviously it's not that low but you get the idea.
If we don't know numbers. We can't say high or low.

The last time Yodobashi, Bic and Yamada Denki were accepting preorders in volumes as high as they have done for the PlayStation 4, it was for the original Wii, which hit 400k in the first day in Japan but was limited in stock quantity, prior to that was the PlayStation 2 which hit 600k in the first day and ran in to supply issues early on, but still pulled a million in the first 10 days.

Your examples are all flawed, because:

WiiU was poorly placed in Japan, with many customers getting their Nintendo fix on the 3DS after its sales had improved.
Vita launched with a high price and against the relative success of the thriving (in japan) PSP that not only had an expansive library but cheaper games
3DS launch in Japan was terrible, just as it was everywhere else in the world because early support was borderline nonexistant, and the media had run with stories of kids getting headaches and/or seizures from the 3D screen for weeks prior to its launch.
Vita TV is considered by many to be an optional Vita accessory that not many really wanted, much of its usefulness in Japan is in streaming the PS4 to other displays, something not possible without the PS4 having launched.
PS3 suffered because of the extrodinarily high price, being slated in the media as too expensive with no Japanese games, despite this is still sold over 81k the first day.

For all of the Nintendo systems, advertising in stores, on TV and on the streets was also virtually non existant, so the demographic most likely to buy it did not understand what the product even was.

The huge difference here is that the entire country has seen the success of the PS4 elsewhere, and the media has nothing but praise for the console, with extensive advertising in every store, on the streets, in subway car displays, on TV and radio.

But hey, don't take my word for it, see for yourself in a week when the sales are in.

"WiiU was poorly placed in Japan, with many customers getting their Nintendo fix on the 3DS after its sales had improved.

3DS launch in Japan was terrible, just as it was everywhere else in the world because early support was borderline nonexistant, and the media had run with stories of kids getting headaches and/or seizures from the 3D screen for weeks prior to its launch."

Here is where I caught you contradicting yourself and using faulty logic.

3ds had a terrible launch? Well let's look at this superior launch of ps4. Name me an exclusive that will push the system? Knack? Killzone? Oh but that doesn't count.

if you look at ps4 launch it looks like the vita version 2. Ports of games you could get on the previous system. Remember how much helped the vita? 

"Vita launched with a high price and against the relative success of the thriving (in japan) PSP that not only had an expansive library but cheaper games"

if I didn't read this clearly.. couldn't I just replace psp with ps3 and vita with ps4? Exactly. Ps4 has literally no games if you already own a ps3. Well no relevant games. 

"PS3 suffered because of the extrodinarily high price, being slated in the media as too expensive with no Japanese games, despite this is still sold over 81k the first day."

81k something brag about? That is considered dead in my book. Let's look at the facts. The ps4 is 200 dollars more than the more popular well supported systems. Please tell me all of these system sellers. Ports are going to do anything looking at what that did for vita. Plus add to the formula that it's way more expansive in 2014 were consoles are irrelvent basically in Japan. Add to that factor that beyond the launch it is basically no games for months in a Japan. Add to fact that Sony games don't sell in Japan unless gt series. Add to the final fact that your argument is based on 8 years ago and under assumption nothing has chance since. 

"For all of the Nintendo systems, advertising in stores, on TV and on the streets was also virtually non existant, so the demographic most likely to buy it did not understand what the product even was."

Not for 3ds.

"The huge difference here is that the entire country has seen the success of the PS4 elsewhere, and the media has nothing but praise for the console, with extensive advertising in every store, on the streets, in subway car displays, on TV and radio."

That is probably the biggest hyperbole statement ever. The entire country doesn't know or even care about the ps4. Heck not even the USA cares that much. It's success in other countries has nothing to do with it's success in Japan. The determines the success in a Japan is games and where the market is going. Mobile systems are the future as Japan as already spoke. Even in ps3 best days it was selling anywhere near the handhelds. That's ds and psp. Advertising isn't going to change that. The games that relevant are locked on handheld.

"But hey, don't take my word for it, see for yourself in a week when the sales are in."

After seeing bandai comments it seems like even he sees it's fate. Bandai knows more about the market than you or some friend that's excited. When says come, I will be back to say I was wrong or right.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

ninetailschris said:

if I didn't read this clearly.. couldn't I just replace psp with ps3 and vita with ps4? Exactly. Ps4 has literally no games if you already own a ps3. Well no relevant games. 

After seeing bandai comments it seems like even he sees it's fate. Bandai knows more about the market than you or some friend that's excited. When says come, I will be back to say I was wrong or right.

Reported for dictionary abuse.

Also we should totally believe bandai because there were no industry insiders in the west that were surprised by the PS4 success either.

Hoping for a new FFXV trailer today at this livestream!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey