By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will there be a "no-Kinect" Xbox One SKU?

Will there be a $399 Kinect-free SKU?

Yes, in 2014 70 44.87%

Yes, in 2015 23 14.74%

Yes, but not for a long-ass time 19 12.18%

No 43 27.56%

Total:155

What I mean is, will Microsoft release an Xbox One model without Kinect? This would allow them to lower the price to $399 to compete with Playstation 4 and slow down the PS4 momentum. 

How long do they plan to last selling their console at $100 more than PS4? It was just beat by 90,000 last week and PS4 isn't even out in Japan yet, a key market for Sony. I think they would be stupid not to release a Kinect-free model...$100 is enough to be a deciding factor for a lot of people. 

As a gamer with no interest in motion controls/cameras (be it Wiimote, Kinect, or PSeye/PSmove)....I look at it this way...I can buy a PS4 and a game for $520 including Ontario's 13% sales tax......OR.......I can buy an Xbox One and a game for $635 including tax, and have a $100 paperweight called Kinect sitting in a cupboard collecting dust. 

Sorry for this post being all speculation, and not really any content....but I basically say this in every post I make about Xbox One....so I decided I'll just make a thread about it then shut up about it.

Also this isn't a Kinect/X1 troll thread in the slightest, I am a proud 360 owner...and I truly hope MS makes a kinect-free X1 because that's the only way I'd ever buy one. 

Around the Network

If there is any company that can make a 180, it sure is MS when it comes to their xbox division.... I want to say no just cause MS has too much money to care but it wouldn't surprise me

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I had no interest of Kinect until I had it, can't imagine the console without it now.

I think they'd probably just drop the price first and take a loss like what Sony is doing with the PS4 to compete.

ironmanDX said:
I had no interest of Kinect until I had it, can't imagine the console without it now.

What kind of games are you into? 

TBH I've never used Kinect, it's just not something I see myself enjoying. If I got a chance to play one and I liked it I'd be happy to spend the $100 on it once I already had an Xbox One....but as it stands I refuse to buy the bundle and have it forced on me. 

I'm mostly into shooters, racing, RPG's, open world/action, and sports games (specifically NHL), which I don't imagine Kinect adding to the experience of, but I'd love to be proven wrong. 

Marks said:

What I mean is, will Microsoft release an Xbox One model without Kinect? This would allow them to lower the price to $399 to compete with Playstation 4 and slow down the PS4 momentum. 

How long do they plan to last selling their console at $100 more than PS4? It was just beat by 90,000 last week and PS4 isn't even out in Japan yet, a key market for Sony. I think they would be stupid not to release a Kinect-free model...$100 is enough to be a deciding factor for a lot of people. 

As a gamer with no interest in motion controls/cameras (be it Wiimote, Kinect, or PSeye/PSmove)....I look at it this way...I can buy a PS4 and a game for $520 including Ontario's 13% sales tax......OR.......I can buy an Xbox One and a game for $635 including tax, and have a $100 paperweight called Kinect sitting in a cupboard collecting dust. 

Sorry for this post being all speculation, and not really any content....but I basically say this in every post I make about Xbox One....so I decided I'll just make a thread about it then shut up about it.

Also this isn't a Kinect/X1 troll thread in the slightest, I am a proud 360 owner...and I truly hope MS makes a kinect-free X1 because that's the only way I'd ever buy one. 

If Microsoft releases a Kinectless Xbox One, I will be all over that. I want TitanFall and Halo 5 along with all the 3rd party games because my Wii U isn't cutting it anymore. How could you let this happen Nintendo?

Around the Network
kidvizious said:
Marks said:

If Microsoft releases a Kinectless Xbox One, I will be all over that. I want TitanFall and Halo 5 along with all the 3rd party games because my Wii U isn't cutting it anymore. How could you let this happen Nintendo?

Same here. I don't have a next gen console yet, but I'd be all over a Kinectless XB1. 

Can't wait for Titanfall or Halo 5 either, and those are games where Kinect isn't even used lol...so why do I want a $100 peripheral with my console? I'd rather put $60 of that towards a year of live, and the remaining $40 is over half the cost of one of those two games. 

The problem with the original Kinect is that given the fact that it was an accessory it had a more limited audience, so games wouldn't be THAT successful unless they won the lottery and it became crazy viral. XONE Kinect is bundled with the console so any game can include Kinect features whether they are the main control (Fruit Ninja) or have just a small yet maybe useful feature (Shouting things to psychopaths in Dead Rising 3) and not having to worry about the fact that they're dealing with a smaller audience like in X360.

At least, that's how I see it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It's coming this E3

Not going to happen. They will cut the price of xbox with kinect before getting rid of it.

ironmanDX said:

I think they'd probably just drop the price first and take a loss like what Sony is doing with the PS4 to compete.

Looking at the rather large profit increase the PS division has had since the PS4's launch it's unlikely Sony are taking a particularly large hit on the PS4. If MS want to keep the Kinect bundled with the X1 and also compete with Sony on price, they are going to need to take rather heavy losses, since sales suggest people don't put much value on the Kinect.