By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 destroys 360 in others.

GGE,

Next price drop will have a great effet on the Xbox360 sales but it is the same for the next PS3 price drop ... In fact, considering the PS3 is more expensive we can bet any new price drop will dramatically improve the sales, a lot more than what a Xbox360 price drop can do.

If the Xbox360 need a price drop considering it is cheaper than a PS3 and possess a better line-up (Bioshock) and a better hyped line-up (Halo3), it just underlines the console is facing important difficulties ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
While Legend is obviously acting on his bias towards the 360, he makes a very good point. The Ps3 has just recently met the consumer range of price comfort with the 40GB model where as the 360 has been at that range since launch. The consumer market willing to pay that much for a console is meeting its saturation point for the 360 console while there is still plenty of room to that threshold for the PS3. The 360 would only have to drop its price once more to expose a new strata of consumers who have been holding off.

I started to agree, then came to my senses.  If people would buy it at a lower price, why isn't the Arcade selling?  The 360 is availabe at only thirty bucks above the Wii.  The 360 has reached saturation because of the lack of compelling software on the system currently available, and not too much coming on the horizon.  I mean, we should have all seen this coming when Halo 3 released, and hardware didn't have an abnormally hardware spike. 

The PS3 Others sales are around 1.34m less than the 360 sales.

At the moment, the PS3 is on average selling 127k more units every 4 weeks than the 360, so if the PS3 and the 360 sell at the same rate, it will take 42 weeks for the PS3 to have sold more units in Others than the 360.

But going by the big releases that we know about for the PS3, as well as the fact that more people will buy the PS3 for even just the BR seeing as HD-DVD is done and the holiday season will more than likely be better for the PS3 than the 360.  I can see this happening alot quicker.

I will hazard a guess that the PS3 will overtake 360 sales in Others in approximately 30 weeks times.

Stick my neck on the line, I will put this in my sig.....see below.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Yeah, also GGE

What lilblue said.

Facing 360s lineup, it should have killed PS3 last year at christmas. But it didn't.

Although i am glad to see the PS3 having very healthy sales, i would advise all PS3 fans to not throw mud in 360 fans face, simply because last year, a lot of people thought the PS3 was going to fail, but look how it turned out. The truth is microsoft have to releasev the right games and drop the price at the right time and the 360 could take of again. Though i do believe the PS3 will sell more world wide.

I was thinking about GTA and wondered which console will benefit the most, i think in the UK and US it will benefit the 360 the most, because thats where the 360 gets its strongest sales from, but everywhere wlse will benefit the PS3. I don't buy the argument that because the franchise was on the ps2 people would buy it on the PS3. Devil may cry 4 sold more on the 360 in the UK and the US (i think anyway).

But anyway its great that the PS3 is selling well, the next price drop and that baby is mine

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

DMeisterJ about what u said on the Arcade sku,

Yes, it is cheaper, Yes some people buy it (20% of the Xmas sales maybe)

But there is 1 BIG problem : The Wii

Generally, people getting the Xbox360 are hardcore gamer more than casual. They want Premium or even Elite model. It is why the short supply has reduced the NPD sales number for the Xbox360 in NA. And just look at the Xbox360 line-up past/present and even future : HARDCORE everywhere and massively online. (except Banjo/viva pinata maybe).
At the opposite, the cheap Wii is proposing massively casual title like Wiift/wiisport and some hardcore/casual title like SMG or Brawl (for casual, party game offline KILL multiplayer online title)

MS is facing a target problem (mass PC hardcore game which dont attract casual consumers) and a BIG competitor problem (Wii, + PS3 for the hardcore crowd ...)

Since MS exclusive games primarly come from the PC world, and since the Wii bubble is not about to burst soon, the trend is not going to change.

Note : the PS3 will face the same problem when it will become cheaper (next price drop ?) but it has some strong exclusive console title (famous IP like GT or FF) and the "playsation" brand (that is knew by casual that bought the PS2) that will allow the PS3 to fight better vs the Wii compared to the Xbox360.

Last hope for MS ? ==> GTA4 + price drop

Time to Work !

Legend11 said:
All it would take is one price drop for the 360 to remove any gains made by the PS3.

Not even that could help the 360 get a lead over the PS3 in Others or Japan . Lets dont forget , MGS4 and the other big guns are nearly here ...

Anyways , this is not unexpected . I allways knew that the PS3 will sooner or later sell more than the 360 . lol at all nonbealiver :P 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

PS3 at this rate (30-35k ahead per week)
will outsell x360 in others by November 2008. GREAT.

PS3 after GTA4, MGS4, GT5P, Haze and etc. releases with 50k ahead will outsell x360 in september-october.

PS3 with 299-349 euro price, will outsell x360 during summer. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Lets look logically. PS3 is coming off the back of a pre christmas price drop. And Every mobile phone store here in the u.k was giving free PS3's over christmas.

Microsoft will drop price again this year and it will be extremely affordable for evryone then.

I have mates who bought PS3's in January and have taken them back in January. Because of lack of Japanese style games! Yes lack of Jap games.