By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spore expected to sell 3-5 million in 2008

Spore expected to sell 3-5 million in 2008

Phil Elliott 18:32 (BST) 18/02/2008

But some analysts believe EA must manage expectations

Although most people seem to agree that there's a healthy anticipation building around the forthcoming Will Wright project, Spore, there's also some feeling that its publisher Electronic Arts must manage expectation about its performance and appeal.

A range of analysts polled by The Street provided sales estimates to the end of this year of between 3 and 5 million units, and a healthy revenue target of around USD 250 million.

But there's some scepticism as to whether or not Spore can capture the imagination of the public in the same way that The Sims did - a franchise which has sold 98 million units to date and the brand to which Spore might be seen by some investors as a natural successor.

"I think Spore will do at least 3 million units as a packaged product, and if it's as good as it looks, it has the potential to do twice that," said Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter.

And the simExchange is currently predicting that the PC and as-yet-unannounced DS editions of the game could combine for 7.5 million units in its lifetime, while its analyst Jesse Divnich believes it could fall "victim to the expectations that EA has set up for the title."

Meanwhile Arvind Bhatia, from Sterne, Agee & Lynch added: "The Sims is a billion-dollar plus franchise," he said. "If Spore does half of what Sims does, it will be a great success."

Spore is set for release on the PC and mobile on September 5 in the UK. Further editions of the game have not yet been confirmed.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33239

Does anyone think this game will actually grab the mainstream?

Around the Network

There is absolutely no way to tell how well Spore will do.

It depends how well they market it...if they make sure to advertise it towards the Sims casual audience, etc.

The Sims is more personal than Spore as well...people like recreating their friends and family...it's fun to them...the same fun might not be had in making creatures. Sure plenty will love it, but I doubt the whole Sims audience will move to Spore.

Doing half of what the Sims did is definitely possible though.

Boy I hope they don't whore out the expansions though...I am NOT paying for new content every half year. I will take up game pirating in that case.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

lol...Ben you know they will. EA will get some money out the users that will own this game.

hmmm, on PC? I don't think so. If they also release it on WiiPS360 + DS's combine sales, they might reach 3 million. But there's no way in hell they will sell 3 million nowaday on PC unless the name of the game starts with "World of..."

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Im thinking its very possible... I wonder if EA will eventually put stuff on steam... would help their sales.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

SPORE!!!!

That's what I think you were trying to add.

/sarcasm

But who knows, it might sell that much depending on how well EA ad this game. But like Ben said, they might end up making expansions like crazy after the game releases.

kingofwale said:
hmmm, on PC? I don't think so. If they also release it on WiiPS360 + DS's combine sales, they might reach 3 million. But there's no way in hell they will sell 3 million nowaday on PC unless the name of the game starts with "World of..."

It is coming to wii and ds so maybe that would be enough. IF it comes to all of them then definately.

kingofwale said:

Will Wright, Will Wright, Will Wright.

Anyway, I'm betting on a 10+ million sales lifetime.

sc94597 said:
kingofwale said:

It is coming to wii and ds so maybe that would be enough. IF it comes to all of them then definately.

Wii and DS versions are spinoffs. 

However many it sells, I will be one of 'em and I'll be proud.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception