By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Basileous Productions Presents....Ni No Kuni (PS3) Review!

Tagged games:

What would you give this game on a score rating of 1-10?

10 19 29.69%

9 20 31.25%

8 10 15.63%

7 3 4.69%

6 5 7.81%

5 0 0%

4 2 3.13%

3 1 1.56%

2 2 3.13%

1 1 1.56%

Total:63

I rated it 9 only had to complaints really

1) the ai of your companions was stupid
2) I though that each familiar should have their own hp and mp and the moves list more varied

but I also like your review

Around the Network

I didn't liked it that much. I liked it because of the story and the whole ghibli thing but it wasn't THAT good! Not bad nor good, just bleh!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

As two others mentioned, it's more of a 9.5 game mainly thanks to studio Ghibili. You have some valid points, but I disagree with things like replay value. Not all games need to have replay value. It took me 140 hours to get a platinum. It would be ridiculous to ask for more. It's like giving a lower score to a Mario game because of the story.

As for the gameplay, sure the AI is not great, but I loved the battle system as a whole. If the AI was terrible and I ended up losing in battles, I'd agree with you. I focused on the characters I controlled and I was fine. The all out attack/defense worked well, so you could technically protect the rest of the party. To an extent I liked that they weren't that smart, because it added some difficulty and made it more realistic. None of the characters were experienced fighters, so of course they wouldn't do great. Terrible for me would be if they didn't use familiars at all and died every time when they were not defending. The AI wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible either (imo of course).

BasilZero said:
naruball said:
Terrible for me would be if they didn't use familiars at all and died every time when they were not defending. The AI wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible either (imo of course).

That is exactly what happened to me LOL - for whatever reason when their primary familiar's stamina ran out they didnt go for the other two reserves they had....

It didn't happen to me (they'd use at least 2 out of three), but even when they didn't use the third, I'd go all out defence and then heal them. It added some difficulty, so I didn't mind it. The fact that you can force them to defend makes it at least not terrible to me. My allies died about 10 times in 147  hours (apart from the trials/that tournament thing).

It's good but not perfect. I've spent 50hrs on it, just about to fight the White Witch / Cassiopeia having done almost all the sidequests available to me. Personally I agree that the battle system has issues, though I don't find it as much of a problem as others seem to you're right that the ally AI is very primitive and at times counter-productive, plus it is a little bit rinse and repeat, though you can say that about many JRPGs. Story isn't going to win any prizes but it's solid with some touching moments and a genuinely good twist nearer the end when Shadar's back story is revealed.

Its biggest strength is definitely its presentation though, lovely art style and some excellent pieces of music, particularly the overworld and Hamelin themes, battle music leaves a little to be desired but the OST is strong overall. Graphically, the real standout feature are the real animated Studio Ghibli cutscenes, but it's a shame that there are so few of them. Voice acting is pretty good, I thought the kiddiness would irritate me after a while but it was fine and I actually quite came to like how they gave all the fairies Welsh accents, not something you see very often.

Overall its well-worth playing and is a nice length as far as I can tell. Sidequests could do with more variety but then they are voluntary, one or two are very time 7consuming and not all that interesting though. Really I don't think I would quite give an 8, more like a 7.7, but that's the nearest option.

It's also now very cheap, here in the UK it just got an Essentials reprint and when I looked last week on amazon it was only about £13, well worth picking up even at a higher price

Around the Network

Honestly it's been years I have played a jrpg(since probably kingdom hearts2 ps2) and this game has made me open my eyes to this such genre more. I loved the story, battle system and the beautiful graphics

By the way nice review, I agree with too many fetch quests and low replay value