By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - In the Market for a Laptop ;o....

What brand is your favorite when it comes to laptops?

Hewlett Packard (HP) 55 45.08%

Toshiba 6 4.92%

Asus 23 18.85%

Sony 5 4.10%

Dell 7 5.74%

Acer 2 1.64%

Lenovo 10 8.20%

Other 6 4.92%

Total:114
Pemalite said:

No way, the only reason why people think Macbooks have the best displays is because they're ignorant of other alternatives, you're paying a premium for that logo.

The upcoming Lenovo’s Y50 has a 4k display, that puts the "Retina" display to absolute shame. (Then again, Apples "Retina" in the mobile space isn't even 720P, it's a marketing term for those who aren't very knowledgable, nothing more.)
Then you have Toshiba's "Kira Book" with it's 2560x1440 displays. - Which, from someone who has three 1440P 27" monitors, are a delight to behold.

You also can't forget the Dell XPS 15 with it's 3200x1800 display, which the equivalent Macbook is $500 more and doesn't have a touch screen, premium? I think so.

If I was the Op though...  And I was looking into a notebook, I wouldn't look past an MSI GT70 or the cheaper GX60, mainly from a gaming perspective or Perhaps the Razer Blade notebook.

I took a look at the Kira Book, and I laughed. For the same price, you lose the 16:10 format, 160 pixels of vertical resolution and 100% of sRGB; two thunderbolt ports, you get Intel HD 4400 instead of Intel Iris (5100), slower processor, lower battery life, and no dual Mac/Win. Though it is half a pound lighter, has an extra USB port and a touch screen with Corning glass. For someone with three 1440p monitors (I feel ashamed to say I only have one), you should be able to see the benefit of outputting that resolution to the monitors if you need to, which with the Macbook Pro you can, to two of them. You should also see the benefit of not having it smeared with your greasy fingers.

Retina resolution on their devices (except it's too much on the iPad mini) is just about perfect, you really don't need 4K resolution on a 13" display. They're just trying to out-Retina Retina, but you can't really see the difference. They don't put the Retina to any kind of shame except in the numbers game.

The Y50 is totally the wrong class, and I don't know the price configuration nor do I know enough specs to compare. For a gaming laptop, a resolution that high can only be a burden (luckily it's only an option).

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Build Quality means nothing if the hardware is shit... Its like buying a Lamborghini with an Engine of a Toyota Corolla... You can literily go any specalized computer store, such as ncix.com, and do a side by side comparasion of a Mac vs PC/laptop and you will see easily that the Laptops will save you from $500 to over $1000 than if you were to get a Mac with the same Specs... And have you seen some of the Asus Ultra Books? Their build quality is top of the line and the Retina display was good until IPS displays came around and distroyed them

Apple have been ripping people off since the 1990s which is why their market share is still freakishly low... People buy Premium laptops but only dumb people buy Macbooks

to all of that, especially the bolded part.

LemonSlice said:

Build Quality means nothing if the hardware is shit... Its like buying a Lamborghini with an Engine of a Toyota Corolla... You can literily go any specalized computer store, such as ncix.com, and do a side by side comparasion of a Mac vs PC/laptop and you will see easily that the Laptops will save you from $500 to over $1000 than if you were to get a Mac with the same Specs... And have you seen some of the Asus Ultra Books? Their build quality is top of the line and the Retina display was good until IPS displays came around and distroyed them

Apple have been ripping people off since the 1990s which is why their market share is still freakishly low... People buy Premium laptops but only dumb people buy Macbooks

to all of that, especially the bolded part.

Have you even compared a PC ultrabook from Asus to an Apple Macbook Pro? Like seriously... Go to Apple.com and compare the specs/price and it would be clear that no one in their right mind would ever, ever, buy a Mac...

http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus-zenbook-ux302lg-intel-i7-4500u-71-92843-1363.htm

http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-mac/macbook-pro

100% laughly bad is what Macbooks are... Heck, you can't even upgrade a Macbook without going through hassles and finding those one time use screw drivers to open one up... Just so bad...

At least explain why a Macbook Pro is an alternative option apart from it looks shiny and feels "premium" even though you have to pay around $800 extra to get the same specs as a ultrabook or $1000 than a notebook

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Have you even compared a PC ultrabook from Asus to an Apple Macbook Pro? Like seriously... Go to Apple.com and compare the specs/price and it would be clear that no one in their right mind would ever, ever, buy a Mac...

http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus-zenbook-ux302lg-intel-i7-4500u-71-92843-1363.htm

100% laughly bad is what Macbooks are... Heck, you can't even upgrade a Macbook without going through hassles and finding those one time use screw drivers to open one up... Just so bad...

At least explain why a Macbook Pro is an alternative option apart from it looks shiny and feels "premium" even though you have to pay around $800 extra to get the same specs as a ultrabook or $1000 than a notebook

Configured to compete it's about the same, though with a touchscreen and dedicated graphics, and slower processor and display resolution.

LemonSlice said:

Configured to compete it's about the same, though with a touchscreen and dedicated graphics, and slower processor and display resolution.

So, let me get this right.. No touchscreen, no dedicated graphics, slower processor and lower display res on the Macbook? Just to clarify

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:

So, let me get this right.. No touchscreen, no dedicated graphics, slower processor and lower display res on the Macbook? Just to clarify

No, slower processor and lower rez on the Zenbook.

Avoid HP like the plague. Every single HP laptop that I've had always had some underlying problems with overheating.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

LemonSlice said:
LemonSlice said:

Well, can I see your config on the cpu? Cause the Zenbook an i7 with a turbo boost upto 3.0 ghz and i7s have more threads than i5s do... I can see the lower res though, Retina display is like 2560 sh vs 1920 on the Zenbook

And in order for me to get an i7 on the Macbook... I have to pay $300 more...

LemonSlice said:
LemonSlice said:

Well, can I see your config on the cpu? Cause the Zenbook an i7 with a turbo boost upto 3.0 ghz and i7s have more threads than i5s do... I can see the lower res though, Retina display is like 2560 sh vs 1920 on the Zenbook

Don't forget you'd be trading SSD for that i7, though, if you want a similar price.

LemonSlice said:
LemonSlice said:

Don't forget you'd be trading SSD for that i7, though, if you want a similar price.

Well... technically... the Zenbook has a 16GB ssd for the OS with a 500gb regular hard drive which is a worthy trade off since you still get that SSD performance for your OS as well as 500gb for your application... Plus the Macbook Pro only has a 128gb SSD for the price we are looking at which isn't much space at all... And also consider that the Zenbook is easier to upgrade to an SSD or a New Hard drive than a Macbook is Cause Asus uses standard screws vs Apple uses Propertiary screws

So, really at the end... You are scraficing a Touchscreen, Dedicated Graphics, Cpu Performance and as well as internal hard drive space for slightly higher Resolution... You are also limiting yourself to Apple's OS which isn't supported by 75% of the applications and games avaliable for Windows (Just look at games on steam for an example)... You can say, oh, just create an Windows Pertition, but that would mean you are cutting into that limited 128gb ssd space...

Overall, a PC is a better choice... And my friend does have that ultrabook and they said it feels almost as good as a Macbook in terms of build quality but thats subjective obviously

Also, Asus offers Accidental Damage Warrenty, free of charge on majority of their laptops including this one... Vs Apples warrenty which you have to pay for

And lets not forget you have to pay at least $2,599.00 to even get the option of having dedicated graphics so you just saved over $1000