By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why death of HD-DVD will not impact Blu-ray sales????????

thread 1:

Toshiba Corp. is expected to pull out of the HD DVD business early this week, people familiar with the situation said, marking the end of one of the biggest and most-expensive format battles in the electronics industry since the VHS format's defeat of Betamax nearly three decades ago.

So what will be the short-term outcome of the death of HD DVD? Many are presuming that there will be an immediate acceleration in Blu-ray movie sales. O’Donovan thinks otherwise, predicting a Blu-ray sales boost happening a little later this year:

http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/death-of-hd-dvd-will-not-impact-blu-ray-sales-237219

this  O’Donovan thinks that death of hd-dvd will not affect blu-ray sales immediatley,do you agree with him,im

not,cuz blu-ray will have free run,like dvd

thread 2:

Paramount and Universal will be free from HD-DVD this week.

I want Beowulf, American Gangster,Transformers,shrek trilogy,ect..............

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120321618700574049.html

Around the Network
playnext3 said:

thread 1:

Toshiba Corp. is expected to pull out of the HD DVD business early this week, people familiar with the situation said, marking the end of one of the biggest and most-expensive format battles in the electronics industry since the VHS format's defeat of Betamax nearly three decades ago.

So what will be the short-term outcome of the death of HD DVD? Many are presuming that there will be an immediate acceleration in Blu-ray movie sales. O’Donovan thinks otherwise, predicting a Blu-ray sales boost happening a little later this year:

http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/death-of-hd-dvd-will-not-impact-blu-ray-sales-237219

this O’Donovan thinks that death of hd-dvd will not affect blu-ray sales immediatley,do you agree with him,im

not,cuz blu-ray will have free run,like dvd

thread 2:

Paramount and Universal will be free from HD-DVD this week.

I want Beowulf, American Gangster,Transformers,shrek trilogy,ect..............

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120321618700574049.html

You know you can just get them on regular DVDs, right?

I think blu-ray will get a small increase but nothing major. Perhaps when blu-ray is a cheap as dvd then it will start selling extremely well and get a nice big boost in sales.

Shrek trilogy on BD sounds good, as does Bourne trilogy.....
Anyway, I should be able to convince my parents into getting a BD played, probably a PS3 as it is the best and cheapest one, so I have a spare in case anything goes wrong (again). Anyway, I don't think that the boost will be immediate as they are still expensive, and many people will still be hesitant about spending that amount of money, when there still isnt a huge selection of titles available on BD, and those HD-DVD exclusives wont be out for a little bit.

Transformers on Blu-ray... Very nice indeed :D

Around the Network

The initial response will likely be small (what a big time forecaster this guy is!). Assuming the all sides get behind steady marketing I would expect the growth to start showing from summer onwards with holiday 2008 as the first big push for Blu...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

You know you can just get them on regular DVDs, right?
yeah but its not look the same as in blu-ray

I think blu-ray will get a small increase but nothing major. Perhaps when blu-ray is a cheap as dvd then it will start selling extremely well and get a nice big boost in sales.

i think blu-ray will get a big increase following the next week that Toshiba drop hd-dvd

Munkeh111 said:
Anyway, I should be able to convince my parents into getting a BD played, probably a PS3 as it is the best and cheapest one, so I have a spare in case anything goes wrong (again). Anyway, I don't think that the boost will be immediate as they are still expensive, and many people will still be hesitant about spending that amount of money, when there still isnt a huge selection of titles available on BD, and those HD-DVD exclusives wont be out for a little bit.

get a ps3 and you have the best blu-ray,best games of this generation,free network.........,if you are not satisfate with that,i can't do anyting for you

playnext3 said:
Munkeh111 said:

get a ps3 and you have the best blu-ray,best games of this generation,free network.........,if you are not satisfate with that,i can't do anyting for you

I've got my PS3, but I want my parents to get one too, but of course they do not like the PS brand, as they do not really beleive that the PS3 is the best bd player, and they do not like the PS brand, all it would do is save me from having to lug my PS3 downstairs to play in HD, then I could just take my savedata across

OOOOMMMMMGGGG its confirmed
Confirmed: Toshiba expected to announce death of HD DVD tomorrow, stop sales by March
look at this:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/18/toshiba-expected-to-announce-death-of-hd-dvd-tomorrow-stop-sale