By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA blocks bad reviews for Dungeon Keeper for Android

pokoko said:
Soleron said:

I've got to disagree.  This isn't about the game being good or bad, it's about using a sneaky way to deceive people.  Micro-transactions are one thing when they're right up-front but this is something more twisted.

So it seems you CAN rate it lower, you just have to go through hoops to do so.  Still obviously very sneaky.

This is about the in game suggestion to rate it, right?

Going to the store and rating it, which is normal for every other app, is exactly the same with this.

Do people expect EA to put down their own game IN the game? What game does that?

Around the Network

Anyone here purchased the game? Is it worth playing?

Soleron said:
pokoko said:

I've got to disagree.  This isn't about the game being good or bad, it's about using a sneaky way to deceive people.  Micro-transactions are one thing when they're right up-front but this is something more twisted.

So it seems you CAN rate it lower, you just have to go through hoops to do so.  Still obviously very sneaky.

This is about the in game suggestion to rate it, right?

Going to the store and rating it, which is normal for every other app, is exactly the same with this.

Do people expect EA to put down their own game IN the game? What game does that?

You really don't believe they did this with the intention of fooling people?  Okay.  You just have more faith in them than I do.

It almost seems like they deliberately go out of their way to be complete jackasses. 

Hitting main stream press too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26033685

Quote i liked, "Dungeon Keeper is not a video game, not any more. Instead it’s just a virtual beggar, constantly demanding your spare change and offering nothing in return."

pokoko said:

You really don't believe they did this with the intention of fooling people?  Okay.  You just have more faith in them than I do.

I do think they had that intention, I just think it's within the bounds of ethical to promote good reviews for your game, in your game.

If they were interfering with the working of Store itself it wouldn't be OK.

I don't think EA are evil. They appear to be profitable right now, i.e. people are buying their stuff willingly. Games are not something you are compelled to buy.

Around the Network

EA actions aren't surprising at all.I really don't like the company.

dont they always do dat?!

Soleron said:

I don't see anything wrong here.

If EA truly is Worst Company in America, stop buying their products.

QFT

kupomogli said:

I've made mention of this on VGChartz news post.

Just because they want feedback doesn't mean that they're ignoring all rankings lower than a 5. It's currently at 4/5 right now on Google Play. The lower rating requests feedback to the developers to find out why the people didn't like the game so in future games or in future revisions they can avoid including what people didn't like. 

There are over 15,000 G+1s, and EA certainly didn't force people to click on that.

Many of the ratings it's received are people posting that they're reviewing it one star just because of the news that hit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.dungeonkeeper_row&hl=en

vivster said:

Nothing wrong here and the title is misleading.

No one is keeping people from giving it a bad review.

It's nice when people defend systems like this. The app selectively posts ratings on google play store, and that is clearly wrong. Either they could "gather feedback" for all the ratings, including the 5 stars, or they should've allow all ratings and "gather feedback" separately. And when I say "allow all ratings, I mean that, when the user selects that it want to rate the app with 1-4 stars, the app let's them rate it with 1-4 stars. Not that he/she has to select "5 stars" and then rate it accordingly, or go manually to play store and rate it.

If that is not wrong, maybe the system of elections should be:

"vote for candidate: X or Y"

VOTER 1
*presses Y*
/instead of logging the vote, machine displays feedback form/
"please give us feedback on why candidate X isn't your preffered option"

VOTER2
*presses X*
"thank you for your selection, your vote has been logged"

Candidate X wins 96% to 4% :)

Or even simpler:

joora said:

If that is not wrong, maybe the system of elections should be:

No, this is like if a political ad said "Vote for our candidate today! Or the other candidate!")

Going manually to the store = COMPLETELY NORMAL.