By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA blocks bad reviews for Dungeon Keeper for Android

Sources:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/9/5395338/ea-dungeon-keeper-review-scam-google-play-store

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/210168/EA_downplays_Dungeon_Keeper_freetoplay_criticisms.php

Snip from Gamasutra:

Update: As confirmed by Gamasutra, EA has employed a rather sneaky system for rating the game. As spotted by Mike Robinson on Twitter, when Dungeon Keeper asks you to rate the game on Android and you choose to give it less than 5 stars, the game doesn't allow you to do so, and instead asks you to message the company with your feedback.

Also, EA has their quiant view:

Update 2EA has responded to Gamasutra, stating that "The 'rate this app' feature in the Google Play version of Dungeon Keeper was designed to help us collect valuable feedback from players who don't feel the game is worth a top rating."

A new low for EA, I've loved the Dungeon Keeper games, heard that the mobile version follows the money-sucking freemium model so didn't even install it. But to hear that they try to avert all but the most favourable reviews is duisgusting.

Around the Network

Already posted.

On the other hand, EA deserves all the bad publicity it can get.

That's disgusting. I won't even get mad about all the micro-transactions, people have a choice with those. But not letting them rate the game fairly? There is no way that should be allowed. All ratings should be wiped clean at the very least. That's straight up, intentionally dishonest.

I've made mention of this on VGChartz news post.

Just because they want feedback doesn't mean that they're ignoring all rankings lower than a 5. It's currently at 4/5 right now on Google Play. The lower rating requests feedback to the developers to find out why the people didn't like the game so in future games or in future revisions they can avoid including what people didn't like. 

There are over 15,000 G+1s, and EA certainly didn't force people to click on that.

Many of the ratings it's received are people posting that they're reviewing it one star just because of the news that hit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.dungeonkeeper_row&hl=en

I don't see anything wrong here.

If EA truly is Worst Company in America, stop buying their products.

Around the Network

I know alot of people "say" this, but I seriously will never buy another EA product. If I play one, it'll be freeware, or if it's a paid product, I'll procure from other sources.

EA sucks and we all know it

Does this surprise anyone? Like seriously? Its EA... they will do whatever it takes to drive their games to the ground and ripping off customers while doing it so its not surprising at the least

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Soleron said:

I don't see anything wrong here.

If EA truly is Worst Company in America, stop buying their products.

I've got to disagree.  This isn't about the game being good or bad, it's about using a sneaky way to deceive people.  Micro-transactions are one thing when they're right up-front but this is something more twisted.

Although, reading the source, it seems the OP didn't post all the details:

Note that when you choose 5-stars, the game takes you to the Google Play store, so you can potentially still choose a different rating -- and you can, of course, still rate the game less than 5 stars via Google Play.

Gamasutra has contacted EA regarding the move, and contacted Google to find out whether this is against the rules of the Google Play store.

So it seems you CAN rate it lower, you just have to go through hoops to do so.  Still obviously very sneaky.

Nothing wrong here and the title is misleading.

No one is keeping people from giving it a bad review.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.