By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega in take-over danger?!

Why is it that so many Internet denizens think that the answer to all problems is buying other companies? (The other magic panacea is "price cuts", but let's not go there now.) I don't think buying Sega would make sense for any of the three console manufacturers right now. Here's why:

Nintendo most definitely has no need to purchase Sega, as Sega needs Nintendo much more than the other way around. In the past year, Sega has seen some sales hits when working with Nintendo platforms - and dismal sales on all other consoles. Why would Nintendo pay hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire a developer that desperately wants to work with them anyway? That doesn't make any sense. I think that Nintendo should be a little more aggressive in targeting developers, but purchasing Sega would simply be wasted money. Not to mention, Nintendo would take over the management of Sammy's many unprofitable non-gaming divisions. Uh, wow, thanks! Where do I sign!

Microsoft and Sony don't have much of a reason to go after Sega either. It's been well proven so far this generation that Sega's games don't have much appeal for the consumers that own these platforms. Do you really want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get "exclusive" rights to these games:

Virtua Fighter 5Sega0.47m7.320.47m
Sonic the HedgehogSega0.23m4.460.23m
Virtua Tennis 3Sega0.18m6.680.18m
The Golden CompassSega0.11m3.750.11m
Full Auto 2: BattlelinesSega0.11m6.360.11m

And:

Condemned: Criminal OriginsSega0.45m7.080.45m
Sonic the HedgehogSega0.40m5.170.40m
ChromehoundsSega0.37m5.140.37m
The Golden CompassSega0.21m6.140.21m
Full AutoSega0.20m4.350.20m

Those are worldwide sales, by the way. Talk about burning up the charts! Both Microsoft and Sony would be *MUCH* better served by taking the money from a Sega aquisition and using it to fund the development of new, original IPs. Let me put it this way: would you rather have more Gears of War and Little Big Planets, or "exclusive" sequels to Sonic the Hedgehog? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Didn't people learn anything from Microsoft's purchase of Rare? How did that work out?

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network
Sullla said:

Why is it that so many Internet denizens think that the answer to all problems is buying other companies? (The other magic panacea is "price cuts", but let's not go there now.) I don't think buying Sega would make sense for any of the three console manufacturers right now. Here's why:

Nintendo most definitely has no need to purchase Sega, as Sega needs Nintendo much more than the other way around. In the past year, Sega has seen some sales hits when working with Nintendo platforms - and dismal sales on all other consoles. Why would Nintendo pay hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire a developer that desperately wants to work with them anyway? That doesn't make any sense. I think that Nintendo should be a little more aggressive in targeting developers, but purchasing Sega would simply be wasted money. Not to mention, Nintendo would take over the management of Sammy's many unprofitable non-gaming divisions. Uh, wow, thanks! Where do I sign!

Microsoft and Sony don't have much of a reason to go after Sega either. It's been well proven so far this generation that Sega's games don't have much appeal for the consumers that own these platforms. Do you really want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get "exclusive" rights to these games:

Virtua Fighter 5Sega0.47m7.320.47m
Sonic the HedgehogSega0.23m4.460.23m
Virtua Tennis 3Sega0.18m6.680.18m
The Golden CompassSega0.11m3.750.11m
Full Auto 2: BattlelinesSega0.11m6.360.11m

And:

Condemned: Criminal OriginsSega0.45m7.080.45m
Sonic the HedgehogSega0.40m5.170.40m
ChromehoundsSega0.37m5.140.37m
The Golden CompassSega0.21m6.140.21m
Full AutoSega0.20m4.350.20m

Those are worldwide sales, by the way. Talk about burning up the charts! Both Microsoft and Sony would be *MUCH* better served by taking the money from a Sega aquisition and using it to fund the development of new, original IPs. Let me put it this way: would you rather have more Gears of War and Little Big Planets, or "exclusive" sequels to Sonic the Hedgehog? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Didn't people learn anything from Microsoft's purchase of Rare? How did that work out?

if it was a properly done sequel ill take Sonic.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Buying Sega would be a mistake just because the talent has evaporated. It would be one thing if Nintendo were to be buying a developer full of talent, like they did with Retro, but it is almost always a mistake to buy a developer just because of their past portfolio of franchises. When Sammy took over they screwed Sega, and the company is nothing but a shadow of its former self. It would be one thing if Nintendo were to just buy the parts they wanted, but they would be most likely forced to buy the whole thing, and then sort out the mess that is there looking for a few good parts. If Nintendo were able to rehire much of the lost talent, or start building from the ground up with a few key project leaders it would be one thing, but Sega is such a mess that it would have to offer a sweetheart deal for Nintendo to even take a look at it.

ssj12 said:
Soriku said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Soriku said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
I say Sony should buy them. I have more faith in Isnomniac's ability to make a Sonic game than I do Nintendo's.

Insomaniac isn't part of Sony, though. Besides, why would Sony make it? We're talking about Nintendo helpign Sega make Sonic, not go "Screw you Sega! we're making it now!"

Isnomniac's style and diversity fits Sonic a lot better than Nintendo's does, and it doesn't matter if they're not a part of Sony. They could still develop the game.

In what way exactly does Insomaniac fit better than Nintendo for Soic? Is Sonic more like R: FoM or Mario?

I think Sega would turn down Sony since they're not in the best position, and don't have such a good relationship with them like with Nintendo, who could support them.
Sonic is more like R&C actually. Well... Knuckles is anyways so Insomniac would be the best fit.

There doesn't even have to be guns, minus Knuckles's. Just make a 3D Sonic game but with as good of a camera as in R&C and it would be perfect.

WTF? Knuckles doesn't have guns. And there's a lot more to making a good 3D Sonic than the camera. 

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

<yawn>

Sega blows...

Seriously, its one company that just needs to sell its IP's to someone else and just dismantle.

Its biggest success was the Mario and Sonic Olympics and thats just because they had Mario's face on the cover (well its actually a lot of fun too)

I think Nintendo has the most to win from acquiring Sega Sonic...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
llewdebkram said:
Why don't we all put our money together and buy Sega!

Shouldn't be too tough to do :p

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

rendo said:
I personally think MS will benefit the most by getting Sega and they'll try the hardest. I'd love Nintendo to pick em up, but who knows, it might not happen.

Here's my thoughts. MS should make a bid to Sega. This would be a partnership takeover, where they're split down the middle 50/50. MS will provide funding and additional developers, while Sega still retains control of their IPs, but the content would primarily be 360 exclusive, with some Wii cash grabs. MS helps get Sega back into black, which is kind've ironic if you consider the Xbox's past, but regardless. :P After so many years of service primarily for the 360, Sega can be allowed to purchase themselves back from MS much like how Bungie did as well. This can help MS get some potential Japan penetration as well as some oldschool big titles that a lot of are familiar with growing up. It'll benefit both companies, and allow Sega to keep it's independence without compromising too much in the end.

Thoughts?

Could happen. But what would stop Nintendo from making same kind of offer to Sega ?

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I just want Nintendo to buy the Sonic license.

I could only dream of a Miyamoto created Sonic game - I think he would understand and could do it better than anyone at Sega at the moment. Heh.

ClaudeLv250 said:

ssj12 said:
Soriku said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Soriku said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
I say Sony should buy them. I have more faith in Isnomniac's ability to make a Sonic game than I do Nintendo's.

Insomaniac isn't part of Sony, though. Besides, why would Sony make it? We're talking about Nintendo helpign Sega make Sonic, not go "Screw you Sega! we're making it now!"

Isnomniac's style and diversity fits Sonic a lot better than Nintendo's does, and it doesn't matter if they're not a part of Sony. They could still develop the game.

In what way exactly does Insomaniac fit better than Nintendo for Soic? Is Sonic more like R: FoM or Mario?

I think Sega would turn down Sony since they're not in the best position, and don't have such a good relationship with them like with Nintendo, who could support them.
Sonic is more like R&C actually. Well... Knuckles is anyways so Insomniac would be the best fit.

There doesn't even have to be guns, minus Knuckles's. Just make a 3D Sonic game but with as good of a camera as in R&C and it would be perfect.

WTF? Knuckles doesn't have guns. And there's a lot more to making a good 3D Sonic than the camera. 

wait... its shadow that has the guns...

still what was the main issue with the PS3/360 game?  the camera.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

looks like they need some new IP's considering nobody cares about Sonic anymore and Virtua Fighter is getting very old and tired.