By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
konnichiwa said:
Well my favourite FF is FFVI and my second one FFIX..

But is a close one because their are things I prefer of FFIX and things that I prefer of FFVI.

My Rankings of FF:

FFVI
FFIX
FFX
FFVIII
FFIV
FFV
FFII
FFIII
FFI
FFXII
FFVII

Oh and about last gen. FFX and FFXII brought something in their games that I would like in the new FF's.

FFX = Building your characters, I love the sphere grid YES I am serious, It made for me the game so more appealing because I was tired of the level up system.. I always hated the fact that if you were level 100 you still could be very weak while that is impossible if you have the sphere grid where you can build all your Characters to the maximum (or almost). Well if the game had no Sphere grid I would certainly had no save date of +300 hours;.

FFXII = A LOT OF YOU WILL DISAGREE but I am so happy that the game didn't had RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. It made the game mor fun for me and also faster.

Why? Well an example:

Before FFXII if you checked your walktrough for an item and you found out that the item was in CAVE X at FLOOR 12. It was a pain in a ass to get there. Every ten steps you made you got attacked and it always took a lot of time like 30 minutes to get there and 30 minutes to get out (Depends if you had Teleportation in the game or not).

Well in FFXII you just go in the cave and can run to the item in like five minutes without being attacked and go out again in 5 minutes...

Well that makes the game more fun for me and I can not believe that no one was ever annoyed by those Random encounters..

Thank You! I can't believe XII gets so much hate. The battle system is what carried that game for me. Honestly, I have no idea what the story was about and the characters were mildly interesting. Personally, I'm much more into characters and story development than gameplay (I'm one of those people that adored Folklore). But in FFXII's case, the gameplay really was good enough to carry the mediocre story and characters.

To sum up: Random battles are the DEVIL. Chrono Trigger FTW. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

I agree, random battles suck, but the gambit system was horribly broken. The only time you even needed to hold the controller in combat was in a boss fight, and even then not always. I'll take random encounters over the gambit system anyday.

naznatips said:
I agree, random battles suck, but the gambit system was horribly broken. The only time you even needed to hold the controller in combat was in a boss fight, and even then not always. I'll take random encounters over the gambit system anyday.

Well I agree with that,  I am in fact hoping for a SO/Kh mix fighting system.  Just walk around as one of the characters and fight the enemy (like in KH but with an option where you can switch between Characters).

konnichiwa said:
naznatips said:

Well I agree with that, I am in fact hoping for a SO/Kh mix fighting system. Just walk around as one of the characters and fight the enemy (like in KH but with an option where you can switch between Characters).

im fine with random battles, but they need to make the transitions faster.  it should take literally 1 second for everything to be in place and fighting.

ff12 was kinda polar.  they made a good combat system, but it was set up so u did nothing.  and then u would fight the bosses and either barely survive or get destroyed (im looking at u, boss which petrified everyone).

as much as i love kh, there is a limit on how that combat system should be used.  once in a while its fun.  it also wouldnt be ff.  main ff's are time based combat.

although speaking of that, im happy that ffvs13 is an action rpg. 

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Honestly, after FFXII I have no intention of buying FFXIII, regardless of reviews. I just know I'm going to hate it at this point. I'm tired of paying Square money for them to disappoint me. That's not going to stop me from buying a PS3 for the other RPGs I want like White Knight Story and Star Ocean 4 (we know it's coming), but I am not paying Square for their crap anymore.

Around the Network

Though I liked 12 in some ways, it was admittedly the only Final Fantasy I have actually not been able to finish, simply because it did not draw me in. I never used gambits for whoever I was controlling, which made it a little more interesting.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

naznatips said:
Honestly, after FFXII I have no intention of buying FFXIII, regardless of reviews. I just know I'm going to hate it at this point. I'm tired of paying Square money for them to disappoint me. That's not going to stop me from buying a PS3 for the other RPGs I want like White Knight Story and Star Ocean 4 (we know it's coming), but I am not paying Square for their crap anymore.

lol, luckily i hadnt played an rpg for a bit before ff12 so i only wanted a good game.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

The great thing about the gambit system was that it was completely optional. I never used it. I think I basically only used it to equip "heal under 15%" or something. Without using gambits, the game is still basically a turnbased RPG without the random encounters, which is just perfection for me.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

VII > All IMO for my own personal reasons.

However, I do love IX a lot. IX had an awesome story.

I endorse this thread. I didn't start playing Final Fantasy games until I learned about emulators in '00 or '01 (even though I'm old enough to have played the very early ones if I would've known about them at the time), so my first Final Fantasy game was FFVI, played on my PC. I enjoyed it.

After eventually getting a PS2 and giving the PS1 Final Fantasies a try, none of them really stood out as anything that special - except for IX (even though I haven't finished it yet). I still think most of the die-hard VII fans are those who were too young to play the SNES titles and were introduced to the series with the Playstation I. VII, at least to me, is very boring.

Oh, and while I'm mentioning Final Fantasy vi, I loved the humor and that game.  The Opera scene, Kefka, etc. were all hilarious.