By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Gnizmo said:
finalsquall said:
ff9 is a great game indeed. Though compared to ff7 and ff8 it is not of that calibre. I feel as though ff6 is a tad better than 9. Don't get me wrong I love 9 and it holds it's own. To me it's like ff12. Good, but not great.

I have to agree it is inot the same calibre as 7 or 8. It is in a whole other league comparitively. The character development in IX is just so unbelievably good. The only problem it has is none of the characters are terribly memorable in and of themselves. You never sit back and thnk what a bad ass Zidane was, but he was involved in some of the best moment in any FF game ever. My one semi-shameful secret is that IX is one of the few games I have gotten ahold of a rom file for and refuse to ever delete it. I will sooner face legal action than I will remove that rom from my harddrive. I have lost the game due to an act of god sadly and have not been able to track down a way to buy the game new. I love the ending of that game so much though I have to keep a save file handy where I can just watch it again and fall in love with it all over again. It is almost as good as VI story wise in my book, but I just liked a few of the moments in VI way to much to but anything ahead of it.

i pretty much agree with u on 9 (havent played 6, couldnt get into it.  prolly try again).  the only thing is that i refuse to play it for the exact reason you keep it.  the cast was just so unbelievably amazing that i dont want to ruin any part of them.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
Lightning08 said:
Disagree totally.
See, a lot of people say that. When I ask them to explain why? "FF7 had Cloud/Sephiroth"
"FF7 had the best storyline ever"It would be nice if you could offer some reasoning instead of just coming in and 'disagreeing totally'. 

That would be because over the years we've had to explain it a lot but I will do it again.

Cloud/Sephiroth are a factor, story is another factor. The biggest thing is that FFVII was the first FF game for many of us, me included, and for that reason alone touched us in ways that cannot be repeated. Sure it had a different impact on different people but for some, like me, the fact that it was not only my first FF game but first RPG in general made the game to be something totally new and fresh and therefore something that is very hard to surpass.

If you were in gaming before the Playstation era then FFVII may not be 'all that' but for those of us who came in at the PS era it was something we'd never experienced before and that is the hardest thing of all to top.

Lightning08 said:
blaydcor said:
Lightning08 said:
Disagree totally.
See, a lot of people say that. When I ask them to explain why? "FF7 had Cloud/Sephiroth"
"FF7 had the best storyline ever"It would be nice if you could offer some reasoning instead of just coming in and 'disagreeing totally'.

That would be because over the years we've had to explain it a lot but I will do it again.

Cloud/Sephiroth are a factor, story is another factor. The biggest thing is that FFVII was the first FF game for many of us, me included, and for that reason alone touched us in ways that cannot be repeated. Sure it had a different impact on different people but for some, like me, the fact that it was not only my first FF game but first RPG in general made the game to be something totally new and fresh and therefore something that is very hard to surpass.

If you were in gaming before the Playstation era then FFVII may not be 'all that' but for those of us who came in at the PS era it was something we'd never experienced before and that is the hardest thing of all to top.

Oh snap! Where is Edouble24 at?

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

I liked FFVII a bit more as it was my first JRPG as well. I really loved FFIX, though; I loved how each character behaved totally different yet equally powerful in battle.

I loved all three games. IX, was my lest favorite, but that's not to say it isn't one of my favorite videogames, period.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

As you can see I loved IX. Vivi is perhaps my fav character ever. However, I just feel more emotionally attached to VII being that it was 1st FF.

NightStalker said:
As you can see I loved IX. Vivi is perhaps my fav character ever. However, I just feel more emotionally attached to VII being that it was 1st FF.

were u also pissed when nomura brutally slaughtered vivi in kh2?  (love kh, but man did he ruin part of vivi for me)

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

After had the pleasure of playing all FF,I'll find FF9 in seventh place for me,FF6>FF7>FF8>FF4>FF10>FF1>FF 9>FF12>FFII>FFIII>FFV>FF11>FF 10-2,as you can see I have a place in my heart for all of them,I love every FF more than any franchise,but if someone put a knife in my neck and demand me to give a list,this will be the order,FF9 is very good,but I'll prefer the characters,feeling,magic and summonigs of FF6,the plot,characters and summonings of FF 7,the love and teenager feeling of FF8,the unforgetable history of FF4,the deep drama and despair of FF10,and the great experience of FF1,my first RPG,from FF9 I love some characters plots and the retro feeling,but I don't like the main villain,Kuja sucks.Anyway,extraordinary game,like every Final Fantasy ^_^

I dunno, I think I like them both equally. After the massive letdown I had with FF8 (game starts out great then fizzles in the middle) I wasn't expecting much. I really enjoyed 9. 7 of course was my first ps1 game (not first rpg) so I played the crap out of it at the time, whereas 9 came out when I was older and had a job and less free time etc...

I've liked all the FFs I've played for different reasons, I don't think any are better then any others, they are jsut all great. Especially when you compare them to other RPGs.

FF9 music was great though.

Hmm, pie.