By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anybody know the wiis max polygon performance?

HappySqurriel said:
sc94597 said:
@ happysquirell What did the xbox original produce. It says something like 115 on specs I found. Here this is it Max Polygon Performance 125 M/sec.

In terms of real world polygon performance the Gamecube and XBox were very similar, most of the differences between the systems were in how they handled texturing and lighting.

Thank you.

Around the Network

it probably can do around 25 million pps in an in game environment.

The Xbox could only do 2-3 more than the GC in real game environment. The 120 million figures was from MS prelaunch POWER HYPE

Lol I rememeber the tech list-

PS2- 75 million or so
Xbox- 120 million
Gamecube- 12 million

LOL- Nintendo really needed to join the rest, the cube used to get blased for that.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Seven... I don't know.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

The polygon count... it's over NINE THOUSAAAAAANNNDDDD!!!!!

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

bigjon said:
it probably can do around 25 million pps in an in game environment.

The Xbox could only do 2-3 more than the GC in real game environment. The 120 million figures was from MS prelaunch POWER HYPE

Lol I rememeber the tech list-

PS2- 75 million or so
Xbox- 120 million
Gamecube- 12 million

LOL- Nintendo really needed to join the rest, the cube used to get blased for that.

Is that similar to how the 360 is suppose to do 500million.

Around the Network

The reported Xbox (150 million) and PS2 (75 million) polygon numbers were theoretical maximum wireframes. This means no textures, no lights, no A.I., nothing but lines.

The reported GC figures were given by Nintendo as under gaming conditions which included a range of effects, lighting and textures on however even the given poly count was bested at launch by Factor 5. Nintendo stated "6 to 12 million polygons per second (peak)" but Rouge Leader 2 pushed 15 million.

EA Canada had tested it to run 22 million at 60 fps though I can't say what game conditions were present.

The Xbox and Gamecube both pushed 18-20 million polygons at their best and the Wii is noted as being able to handle more than that by several developers.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

To answer your original question: Nobody knows, no matter what they tell you. ATi could have added more vertex pipelines. You can't figure out polygon count from looking at the chip itself or without breaking some Non-Disclosure Agreements.

Also, with the advent of shaders and techniques like normal mapping, polygon count has come to a second term in importance. I mean, look at the following screenshot.

To the untrained eye, it would seem that the green planet where Mario stands is made with a lot of polygons, but if you look closely you will find out that it's not made by a lot of polygons, but by normal mapping.

So how do devs know how powerful the wii is if nintendo doesn't tell anybody. That could be another reason why devs don't make games with good graphics on the wii is because they don't know the limit.

I mean, nobody outside the industry. Developers like EA, and Ubisoft haven't taken their time on Wii because they want a quick buck, or they simply lack the mad skillz. And Nintendo would be VERY mad if developers told anyone from outside anything about the Wii.

^ I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet. You know how people can't keep secrets.