By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii ever pass ps2 sales

Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
The lifespan of the Wii just isn't long enough. I'd say no.

Why isn't it long enough?

I would say graphics power. When the PS2 came out is was the most powerful system you could own. Then the GC and XBOX came out and they were both more powerful. So, you kinda have the same thing going on this generation. The Wii is the least powerful system and the PS3 and 360 are the Xbox and GC of this generation. But, the PS2 was still able to have the same games as XBOX and GC just with slightly reduced visuals and performance. This is not the case with the Wii.

To me, the Wii isn't just a flash in the pan or a fad but I just don't think it has the staying power of the PS2.

You do realize that the NES was a gen behind its competitors at launch and it lasted 20 years with obsolete graphics

The NES is part of the third generation of video games. It main competition at its time of release (Japan 1983,USA 1985) was the Sega Master System and the Atari 7800. What competitors are you talking about??

lol, you really need to go chaeck your gaming history, when console gaming crashed gaming moved to the gaming PC's of the time, when NES launched, it wasn't against other consoles, but against gaming PC's, when NES launched people thought it was a fad that would die out in favor of the more powerful gaming PC's, funny how the more things change the more they stay the same

Wow, PC IS NOT A CONSOLE!!!!  If it were why don't we track the sales of PC. Because clearly PC's have sold more than all the consoles combined and makes this whole discussion and this website void.  Gaming did not move to the PC. It was always there from day 1.  There were no "gaming PC".  

NES's main competition was the SMS and the 7800.  All three of these systems are very compareable when you look at the specs.  

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:

I would say graphics power. When the PS2 came out is was the most powerful system you could own. Then the GC and XBOX came out and they were both more powerful. So, you kinda have the same thing going on this generation. The Wii is the least powerful system and the PS3 and 360 are the Xbox and GC of this generation. But, the PS2 was still able to have the same games as XBOX and GC just with slightly reduced visuals and performance. This is not the case with the Wii.

To me, the Wii isn't just a flash in the pan or a fad but I just don't think it has the staying power of the PS2.

You do realize that the NES was a gen behind its competitors at launch and it lasted 20 years with obsolete graphics

The NES is part of the third generation of video games. It main competition at its time of release (Japan 1983,USA 1985) was the Sega Master System and the Atari 7800. What competitors are you talking about??

lol, you really need to go chaeck your gaming history, when console gaming crashed gaming moved to the gaming PC's of the time, when NES launched, it wasn't against other consoles, but against gaming PC's, when NES launched people thought it was a fad that would die out in favor of the more powerful gaming PC's, funny how the more things change the more they stay the same

Wow, PC IS NOT A CONSOLE!!!!  If it were why don't we track the sales of PC. Because clearly PC's have sold more than all the consoles combined and makes this whole discussion and this website void.  Gaming did not move to the PC. It was always there from day 1.  There were no "gaming PC".  

NES's main competition was the SMS and the 7800.  All three of these systems are very compareable when you look at the specs.  

SMS was launched after the NES, as was the 7800, they were in response to the NES's success against the gaming PC's, gaming PC's were systems like the Commodore 64 which was where gaming moved to once the console crash occured

We don't track PC sales, because theat ageis long over, NES won, but at the time when NES launched it was facing the much more accepted gaming PC's, consoles at that time were thought to be destined to crash over and over

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:

SMS was launched after the NES, as was the 7800, they were in response to the NES's success against the gaming PC's, gaming PC's were systems like the Commodore 64 which was where gaming moved to once the console crash occured

We don't track PC sales, because theat ageis long over, NES won, but at the time when NES launched it was facing the much more accepted gaming PC's, consoles at that time were thought to be destined to crash over and over

7800 was test run to the public in 1984, a year before the NES was released in the US.

You cannot compare the hardware sales of the NES to home computers or PC's because people buy these machines for things other than gaming. Video game consoles are designed to only play videogames. (This has changed some now though) So, the NES brought gaming back to the television and this is reason why consoles are so popular now. Why does that make you think that Wii will pass the PS2 in sales?

darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:

7800 was test run to the public in 1984, a year before the NES was released in the US.

You cannot compare the hardware sales of the NES to home computers or PC's because people buy these machines for things other than gaming. Video game consoles are designed to only play videogames. (This has changed some now though) So, the NES brought gaming back to the television and this is reason why consoles are so popular now. Why does that make you think that Wii will pass the PS2 in sales?

Yeah and it was shelved in favor of their PC endeavors, until the NES proved consoles could succeed

Not these PC's these PC's were built as alternatives to game consoles, in fact the commodore 64's price drop is is considered one of the reasons for the gaming crash, in fact the Commodroe could be hooked up to a TV

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
darklich13 said:

Yeah and it was shelved in favor of their PC endeavors, until the NES proved consoles could succeed

Not these PC's these PC's were built as alternatives to game consoles, in fact the commodore 64's price drop is is considered one of the reasons for the gaming crash, in fact the Commodroe could be hooked up to a TV

Again... Why does that make you think that Wii will pass the PS2 in sales? 

Yes, I know you could hook the C-64 up to a TV. I still have one.

Around the Network
darklich13 said:

Again... Why does that make you think that Wii will pass the PS2 in sales? 

Yes, I know you could hook the C-64 up to a TV. I still have one.

The fact that hardware strength never decides a console's success

Never.

wiis competition is to good, PS2 destroyed its competition early on.

Unless this gen we see 300 million hardware units sold overall, it could happen if other region economies climb at a even faster pace but wiis weak hardware means short life so no.

I don't see the Wii passing the PS2. For several years of the PS2's life the only competition was the Gamecube (and maybe some other system I can't think of the name of that really really REALLY bombed). The Wii has a surging PS3 and a 360 that had a years head start on it. Also, the demand for the Wii will taper off, it will not sell out within hours of going on shelves for years to come.

I know that the Wii fan boys will disregard graphics, but if you look at FF10 graphics and then FF12 graphics, there is a big jump there. There is no reason not to expect something different in the graphical capabilities of the PS360 compared to the Wii. And by then both the PS360 will have dropped prices significantly and what are people going to buy, a game system that puts out good graphics for $100-$150 or a game system that puts out jaw dropping graphics for $50-$100 more.

Pretty pictures will sell games and systems compared to what else is out there. To go back to the FF10 and FF12 analogy, if two games came out at the same time and one had FF12 graphic pictures on the back and the other had FF10 graphic pictures, the "casual" gamer would buy the FF12 game because it would look like the developer put more time and effort into the game.

PDF said:
Punisher said:
PDF said:
The Mario sport games hardly qualify for sports games. I hate it when I see them on list for years best sports games. People who think of Mario sports games as sports game do not understand the Madden type audience, which is huge. They are so different and no Madden loving Gamer is gonna buy a Mario sports game over it. Mario sports games are like party games with a Sport theme.

GTA was a game that appealed to a mass audience of all type of gamers.

I think that "casual" type of gamer who likes Madden will buy Wii and Madden for it. It was pretty good, when i tried it, but american "football" isn't my thing, but nevertheless a good "partygame".

So did Gta apply even for platform/puzzle/board/educational/party/sports/strategy type of gamers ?

If you think that most people of the fps/sport crowd will pick up Madden on the wii you dont understand that type of gammer.  They make up a huge % of the gaming market.  read last post for more deatail.

GTA did apply to a mass audience,  I dont not say it applied to everyone.  I am a strategy fan,  I liked GTA.  My friend is huge on RPG he like GTA.   You can see it in its sales.

Yep, have to admit that i don't understand sports crowd at all then. :p Even i like rpg's, but i doesn't mean that i will get the most selled game from the list (Even Sims and Nintendogs have selled more than Gta:Sa, and i'm not huge fan of them) :p (just my opinion)

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

cwbys21 said:
I don't see the Wii passing the PS2. For several years of the PS2's life the only competition was the Gamecube (and maybe some other system I can't think of the name of that really really REALLY bombed). The Wii has a surging PS3 and a 360 that had a years head start on it. Also, the demand for the Wii will taper off, it will not sell out within hours of going on shelves for years to come.

I know that the Wii fan boys will disregard graphics, but if you look at FF10 graphics and then FF12 graphics, there is a big jump there. There is no reason not to expect something different in the graphical capabilities of the PS360 compared to the Wii. And by then both the PS360 will have dropped prices significantly and what are people going to buy, a game system that puts out good graphics for $100-$150 or a game system that puts out jaw dropping graphics for $50-$100 more.

Pretty pictures will sell games and systems compared to what else is out there. To go back to the FF10 and FF12 analogy, if two games came out at the same time and one had FF12 graphic pictures on the back and the other had FF10 graphic pictures, the "casual" gamer would buy the FF12 game because it would look like the developer put more time and effort into the game.

I am sure you wish that was true but it aint gonna happen and the FF analogy fails big time cause it´s not a casual game so no casuals would buy it no mutter how good or bad the graphics are.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.