By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Epic to focus on "new projects", is "totally dedicated" to Xbox One

Microsoft's acquisition of the publishing rights to Gears of War means that Epic can "concentrates its efforts on new projects," in the words of the latter's founder and CEO Tim Sweeney. Among those projects, one presumes, is Fortnite, the little-seen Unreal Engine action game for PC. Let's hope that there's an Xbox One title on the way too.

"We're very proud of the franchise we built in close partnership with Microsoft over the past decade and are happy that this agreement enables Microsoft to forge ahead with the Gears universe on their industry-leading platforms as Epic concentrates its efforts on new projects," Sweeney commented in a release, adding that "Epic remains totally dedicated to supporting Xbox One and is licensing the Unreal Engine 4 technology to Microsoft in support of their future projects."

The franchise isn't in entirely new hands - Epic's former director of production Rod Fergusson has joined Microsoft's Black Tusk team to oversee Gears of War's evolution on Xbox One. "I'm extremely excited to be joining Black Tusk Studios to oversee development on the Gears of War franchise," observed Fergusson in the same release.

"I've been privileged to work on a lot of great games with a lot of great teams, but Gears has had the most impact on me professionally and personally, so this really feels like a homecoming. I can't wait to share more with you all soon."

Speaking to Polygon, Microsoft Studios headman Phil Spencer shed a little light on the change of hands. "We finished the last Gears talking about the next iteration of the franchise, one that Epic and I were going to talk about just as a natural course of the publishing and studio relationship," he said.

"They didn't have a firm plan for what they wanted to do with Gears, which obviously opened the door to conversation. They wanted to make sure the franchise landed somewhere we could develop it well, so we started having discussions about how we could continue the franchise."

Discussing Fergusson's involvement, Spencer also told GamesIndustry.biz that "it's kind of nice he can tie the franchise, the culture, bring it all together, and really help with the talent we already have up at Black Tusk to get the franchise going with a new organization."

http://www.totalxbox.com/70181/epic-to-focus-on-new-projects-is-totally-dedicated-to-xbox-one/

Around the Network

well to me "totally dedicate" is a poor choice of words on his behalf as obviously they working on PC and perhaps PS4.

Could be just my definition of totally lol.

Cobretti2 said:
well to me "totally dedicate" is a poor choice of words on his behalf as obviously they working on PC and perhaps PS4.

Could be just my definition of totally lol.

I think he just means there going to support it 

Bring fortnite to consoles EPIC :) Im a little worried about Epic with a lot of their key guys missing but they have still made some of my all time fav games. Great studio and looking forward to fortnite

Inaccurate title.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Inaccurate title.

totally=/= solely

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I just want an Unreal 4.. Too many years have passed since Unreal 3..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Their new projects suck.

They should make Tears of Thor.
A third person shooter where asgardian monsters invade earth and humanities fate lies in the hand of a group of prisoners with muscles bigger than their heads.

So that's done apparently. Microsoft definitely secured the Gear of Wars franchise to the Xbox brand..

I am surprised it wasn't done before... maybe they weren't agreeing with the price to pay?

Didn't we hear previous rumours about Gear of wars on PS4? It would have been strange to play Gear of wars on Playstation I think. I still remember having bought my launch X360 precisely for the first game.