By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2008: How much will PS3 outsell 360?

Well January, a slow month, with no real relases (exclusives or otherwise) the PS3 beat the 360 (using NPD for America) by over 250k. So when MGS4 hits in June alongside nothing for the 360 expect that number to be higher, and with all the Hi-prof exclusives coming this year (not doing that list again), it could easily catch up to the 360 this year.

Around the Network

Am I the only one who expects 360 sales to slow considerably when most XBox users already upgraded? Halo 3 even had less a positive impact on 360 sales than I expected, I view this as a good sign for the PS3 platform. IMO the outlook for the 360 isn't really that great, many XBox fans jumped into the 360 without being well informed of RRoD and other hardware issues, pushed by sequels to popular XBox games and no more support for their platform since the 360 launched.

I think people will also get more knowledgeable of Blu-Ray drive advantages with regard to non-existant disc scratching and much lower noise production levels. I think to tech minded people the Cell and Blu-Ray advantage is already apparent, but will become obvious to everyone soon enough.

In any case I stated Blu-Ray would win the movie format war without doubt and have been attacked for this in the past, but for the end result I don't think this will matters at all. I was actually surprised how few people early on agreed with me.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

At the current rate it would be 2.75 million .

But in the holidays it will outsell the 360 in Japan and Europe by far more than 200K a month .So taking in count the holidays it could go to 3.5 millions .

And we have to take in count the release of very big games as Killzone 2 ,Resistence 2 ,Soul Calibur IV ,Final Fantasy XIII (maybe ) ,Metal Gear Solid IV and Gran Turismo 5 .Others as Little Big Planet or White Knight Story also have a chance of doing good things for the machine sales .Also if Ace Combat 6 comes out in Japan for the PS3 .I also think GTA IV will be more or less equal in the NA as far as hardware moving goes but in Europe it will sell a crapload of PS3 while most people wont even be aware it is on the 360 too .

So I think exclusive software will move some more PS3 .PS3 could outsell the 360 this year by as much as 5 million units .360 will still have a small lead at 31dec 2008 .

MikeB said:
Am I the only one who expects 360 sales to slow considerably when most XBox users already upgraded? Halo 3 even had less a positive impact on 360 sales than I expected, I view this as a good sign for the PS3 platform. IMO the outlook for the 360 isn't really that great, many XBox fans jumped into the 360 without being well informed of RRoD and other hardware issues, pushed by sequels to popular XBox games and no more support for their platform since the 360 launched.

I think people will also get more knowledgeable of Blu-Ray disc advantages with regard to non-existant disc scratching and noise production levels. I think to tech minded people the Cell and Blu-Ray advantage is already apparent, but will become obvious to everyone soon enough.

why whould a non-techie care?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
MikeB said:

I think people will also get more knowledgeable of Blu-Ray disc advantages with regard to non-existant disc scratching and noise production levels. I think to tech minded people the Cell and Blu-Ray advantage is already apparent, but will become obvious to everyone soon enough.

More impressive high profile games. The tech gap will translate in more complex games (better AI, more enemies / events on screen, solid framerates, etc) with better audio and visuals.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
kirby007 said:
MikeB said:

More impressive high profile games. The tech gap will translate in more complex games (better AI, more enemies / events on screen, solid framerates, etc) with better audio and visuals.

First off, can you show anything that can demonstrate that the PS3 can produce noticeably better graphics, AI or physics than the XBox 360 in real world performance?

On top of that, if the success of the Nintendo DS and Wii has taught us anything it has demonstrated that (in general) the mainstream gaming public does not desire more complex gameplay in the way that you defined.

About the PS3 games,

the only system seller u have truly have to take in count for the moment is

GT5

about the others games :

FFXIII : not 2008 WW
KZ2 : hyped but too hardcore and maybe too classic at the end
Resistance 2 : hum, maybe the good surprise of this year
GT4 : THE BIG ONE but multiplateform
MGS4 : a bit too hardcore

EIDT: GT5 may only be release WW in 09 in fact ...

Time to Work !

HappySqurriel...honestly,do you expect at some point the PS3 will catch up AND pass the 360´s WW install base,before this gen is over?

@ HappySqurriel

First off, can you show anything that can demonstrate that the PS3 can produce noticeably better graphics, AI or physics than the XBox 360 in real world performance?

Once you have your physics engine running on the Cell's SPEs it will run circles around an equivalent engine using the 360's Xenon.

Currently Uncharted is a good PS3 game with regard to visuals, but that's only Naughty Dog's first effort. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction is also a good showcase with regard to things happening on screen with high quality at an impressive 60 FPS. But the technical gap between Resistance 1 and 2 is expected to be huge, this due to nearly all legacy code being moved from the PPE onto the Cell SPEs.

PS3 vs 360 sales

i personally, expect ps3 to sell close to 14 million, with 7 million units sold in the US, and 5 million sold in europe. Japan could muster out 1.5 million. the 360 i expect it to sell 7 million units tops in the US alone, and 1.5 in europe. as for japan and the 360, im guessing 200 000. im not even gunna talk about the wii as its gunna explode globaly again.

resistance2 will be the top selling ps3 game mostly selling in teh US.