By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fusion - Will you play?

Based on the "leaked" (read crazy rumor) data from THIS THREAD.

The idea is a console that has two truly distinct playing options in a single game.

Basically its a console and a portable console that are effectively the same system. Not in the sense that Vita can stream PS4 games. But that you can take the actual game out of the console and put it into the portable.

I toss out the actual hardware presented in that thread as crazy from a Nintendo standpoint. But the raw idea mixed with the known changes in Nintendo where they have combined their two hardware divisions is what drives my thread.

Home Console

A moderately powerful system that is fully BC with Wii U/Wii/DS/3DS including digital items from eShop (not Wii/DS shop). It'll take discs as well as what has been the typical SDHC type of carts used in Nintendo's portables.

Controllers can be the wiimotes as well as an improved gamepad (or existing) PLUS a 3DS/2DS or the new DS portable.

Storage is still based on flash storage, but quite a bit larger (say 128GB+). Plus still expandable with external USB 3.0.

Portable Console

A powerful portable that would be capable of running the home console's built games, but at lower resolutions and likely missing some graphical artifacts. But it will be build with the idea that the games are all made to be scalable to this device.

Can be used as a controller in conjuction with other controllers/gamepads/wiimotes/etc.

Storage is still based on flash storage, but larger (say 32GB+). Plus still expandable with SDHC cards.

Games

All games come on a SDHC carts. These reduce packaging, more durable, and more reliable. They also can hold up to 128GB of data which is more than enough and larger than current Wii U discs.

Additionally, digital games will be greatly expanded. As now all a games come in retial or digital offerings. This is continued.

So you buy the games and then the platform(s) that best fit your lifestyle. If you only play solo and on road, then just the portable. If you only play at home, then console. If you're a family with various tastes and needs, then you buy console for home and multiple portables.

All the while, you can choose from ANY Nintendo game including all of the VC/digital stuff from the previous gen (3DS/WiiU).

This is the end point of the changes to eShop, combined NNIDs... Smash Bros 4 is just the beginning of this idea.

Would you buy into this?

Around the Network

I think it's a fantastic Idea, especially of those specs were real and if it was released in 2016-2017.

Something...Something...Games...Something

padib said:

I prefer my idea. It's 1 device that serves both purposes and double as a tablet or smarthpone. That I would buy instantly.

it would have bluetooth (as well as the same wireless tech in the U for remote communication with another screen) to serve a few purposes, such as connecting wiimotes, pro controller, and even connecting with a small proprietary module on the tv or a smart tv. Moreover, on the go it could be used with buttons or without buttons (detachable skin), all games would be playable in all input types but is more adequate with some than with others (kind of like how you can play smash just with a wiimote, no chuck), if portability is more important for you. It can be played horizontally with another screen, or can automatically dual screen vertically. It would be multi-touch and work with a stylus (like the Samsung Galaxy Note).

Of course the tablet would also be able to play retail cartridges.

Youre idea requires someone plugging it in and out to play at home on TV. As simple as it sounds, its more complex than the mass consumer/casual will go for.

I'd buy BOTH systems... If my saved files would exist on both consoles. Hopefully they'd still make games that's more suited for portable and home console experiences.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

superchunk said:

I'd be interested.  I said exactly what this thread is saying in an earlier post of mine.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5990134

Around the Network

I think it's a pretty good idea. That way they can fuse the two without sacrificing anything. You can buy the handheld or the home console and you get can still get both experiences but choose which of the two you prefer. Or you can buy the two of them!

Personally I think it's a great idea and I don't think it's far from the truth. I don't think that those rumors are true but the overall strategy is solid.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I'd decide after its been on the market for a year or so and I have a clear understanding of Sony and Microsoft's options. No buyers remorse.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

padib said:

It's not. The connection would be a usb cable, and could even work wireslessly (like the Wii U).

At home it's in essence a WiiU setup.

While its not a bad idea, I think yours is harder to advertise. All of these dockable solutions in mobile have not fared well. People seem to only go for single purpose devices which is why I went for two consoles that share content and can cooperate.

I must say I laughed quite hard, Nintendo blowing the others out of the water purely based on the power of the hardware, i secretly would love that

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

BasilZero said:
I like the idea as long as it isnt a smartphone or a tablet - having it in either of those two forms would be horrible.

No, I'm definitely arguing for enhanced versions of the 3DS and Gampad as primary controls. Of course where applicable, the wiimote would also be available.