By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft paying YouTubers for positive Xbox One coverage ( edited with more info )

Tagged games:

There are so many people not seeing it and so many people deliberately overlooking it. For those people not seeing it, I suggest you read the whole article and for those that are deliberately overlooking it, XB1M13.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Pemalite said:

Agreed. It's like the whole purpose of "infomercials". - You NEVER see them say anything bad about the product, they just mindlessly drone on for hours about all the good stuff.

Anyway, I see no bad in this, Microsoft is kicking it's advertising gear into full to take the fight to it's competitors, which isn't bad by any stretch. (Ultimatly I would LOVE for all consoles to have a perfectly even amount of marketshare, it's what drives innovation and reduces prices in a capitalist world, but that's an idealism which probably won't occur.)

What? Except of course that at the begining of that infomercial it tells you it's a paid advertisment. It doesn't pretend to be an impartial, informative program and then try to sell you something. How is that so hard to see?

Whenever you see someone on TV eating a cheeseburger and smiling, do you get angry they don't put a caption saying "paid actor"?

Maybe the actor hates that burger and wants to vomit. I gotta go, I have my lawyer on the phone. I'm about to get rich!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Figgycal said:

I'll repost my comment since you missed it:

OP is missing the bit that actually makes this news worthy: The arrangement as described might go against the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) guidelines for the use of endorsements in advertising, which demand full disclosure when there is "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement."

As long as people aren't being mislead, I don't see anything wrong.

So make a video talking about the console, talk about the games you're playing, and avoid shitting on the products. That seems like pretty straight forward advertising to me.

You're inherently misleading if you're not allowed to say anything negative about the console. You're definitely misleading if you're getting paid to talk about the console and keep it hidden (also illegal btw).

If you recommended that I buy an Xbox One, I would take it as a satisfied customer suggesting I buy a product you enjoy. If I find out that you were paid to tell me to buy the Xbox One than my opinion of your suggestion changes completely.

Which is essentially what is going on here. People are quick to hate on MS though. The blame could be on Machinima's side.

GribbleGrunger said:
There are so many people not seeing it and so many people deliberately overlooking it. For those people not seeing it, I suggest you read the whole article and for those that are deliberately overlooking it, XB1M13.

Please clarify.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Somini said:
There is nothing wrong with advertising. Advertising this way is though, it's against the law even.

I didn't realize this forum had so many lawyers on it.

It helps when you actually read the articles about the story being reported.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Figgycal said:

OP is missing the bit that actually makes this news worthy: The arrangement as described might go against the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) guidelines for the use of endorsements in advertising, which demand full disclosure when there is "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement."

So make a video talking about the console, talk about the games you're playing, and avoid shitting on the products. That seems like pretty straight forward advertising to me.

That's the problem, they are misleading people. If I post an add for a game but I tell people it's a review and I don't say that I'm being paid by the company that makes the game, that's misleading. You can't honestly not see the issue here.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Figgycal said:

You're inherently misleading if you're not allowed to say anything negative about the console. You're definitely misleading if you're getting paid to talk about the console and keep it hidden (also illegal btw).

With that logic most advertising is illegal.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Figgycal said:

People are being misledthough. What Microsoft is doing is false advertising.

RawrJa said:

People are being misledthough. What Microsoft is doing is false advertising.

How?

Advertising is not a review.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Somini said:
There is nothing wrong with advertising. Advertising this way is though, it's against the law even.

I didn't realize this forum had so many lawyers on it.

It's called reading comprehension.  You should try it.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan