By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Mario Kart 8 outsell Mario Kart 64?

Tagged games:

Will MK8 outsell MK64?

Yes 101 57.06%

No 57 32.20%

Same 19 10.73%

Total:177

The fact that MK7 isn't even 10 mil on a much better selling system tells me that it's definitely not gonna outsell MK64.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
The fact that MK7 isn't even 10 mil on a much better selling system tells me that it's definitely not gonna outsell MK64.

handheld mario karts dont have the same appeal as the console versions

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Wait a minute, your telling me that selling over 20 million copies in it's last handheld interation doesn't count for same appeal ?! 

Right ...

kirby007 said:

Wait a minute, your telling me that selling over 20 million in it's last handheld interation doesn't count for same appeal ?! 

Right ...

what do the n64, gc and wii version have in common? 4 player splitscreen

handheld versions are lacking this thus have lower attachrates

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
kirby007 said:

Wait a minute, your telling me that selling over 20 million in it's last handheld interation doesn't count for same appeal ?! 

Right ...

lol I just posted attach rates (pressume thats what you used). Aside from the SNES game which was the 1st home console is well ahead of handhelds.

So tottally agreee with ya

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
kirby007 said:

Right ...

Attach rates are meaningless for the most part. WII sports isn't high quality by the fact that it sold the most or had a high attach rate but because it was able to move a massive amount of systems. The fact that MKWII and and MKDS both have very high numbers that are over 20 mil tells me that they both have just as strong selling strengths for any console. FYI, 4 player split screen didn't stop the DS version from selling over 20 million copies. 

kirby007 said:
kirby007 said:

Right ...

Attach rates are meaningless for the most part. WII sports isn't high quality by the fact that it sold the most or had a high attach rate but because it was able to move a massive amount of systems. The fact that MKWII and and MKDS both have very high numbers that are over 20 mil tells me that they both have just as strong selling strengths for any console. FYI, 4 player split screen didn't stop the DS version from selling over 20 million copies. 

and you know why since it was the first mario kart with online capabilities! quite logical if you ask me, thats why mk7 is also trending lower people noticed online on the ds wasn't as much fun as on the console and missed 4 player splitscreen

It will sell over 10 million just because at this point Nintendo is going to have to bundle it to really boost Wii U sales, and just rely on people buying their other 1st party games to make a profit. MK7 has sold over 9 million, has never been bundled, on a console with only 27 percent of the install base of its previous version. A MK8 bundle release in April could sell 8 million Wii U's this year on its own, not to mention the copies sold to the base that already has a Wii U. I know that number seems high, but Nintendo has sold 1.3 million Wii U's since SM3DW's launch and that was the only AAA title released in a year. Stack the effects of Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, and all the other games coming soon along with a Mario Kart Bundle and I could easily see it beating Mario Kart 64 in a year.

kirby007 said:

Wait a minute, your telling me that selling over 20 million copies in it's last handheld interation doesn't count for same appeal ?! 

Right ...

3DS has only 28 percent of the install base that the DS had though.   It's lineup is great but it just doesnt have the new IP's like brain age and Nintendogs's to pull in the casuals.

kirby007 said:
kirby007 said:
kirby007 said:

Right ...

and you know why since it was the first mario kart with online capabilities! quite logical if you ask me, thats why mk7 is also trending lower people noticed online on the ds wasn't as much fun as on the console and missed 4 player splitscreen

The truth is MK7 was a lower quality game than MKWII or MKDS. MK7 was just less fun in general compared to MKDS.