By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Titanfall Alpha Build packing 25% texture resolution of final game.

Tagged games:

The final release should have 2K textures as standard, the X1 should be at least be able to pull that off.  1k textures indeed makes a difference but as far as I am concerned it is not good for the next gen systems, especially since it is 64 bit. The PC version has no excuse though.

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:

A Respawn Entertainment representative has come forward to highlight that the Titanfall closed alpha test has low resolution textures specifically to decrease the game's size and to test out different other features.

Titanfall is currently undergoing a special closed alpha stage on the Xbox One console and already quite a lot of materials have leaked, including a gameplay video or different screenshots.

Now, after some gamers manifested their disappointment with the game, one of Respawn's staff has taken to NeoGAF and confirmed that the textures in the alpha build at way lower than the ones in the final version.

"All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 512x512 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 1024. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc."

As such, anyone shouldn't make an opinion about Titanfall based on the current alpha.

(Well; menu images are probably full res.) "
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97510610&postcount=1274

The problem is not the resolution of the textures but the fact that the horrible sharpening upscaler (because of the native 720p) is used in Titanfall in every alpha videos/pics I have seen.

Every textures and assets (like grass) will have this generic grainy look already seen in AC4, COD and DR3. Here a cropped pic of Titanfall alpha I have made from a good screenshot. Notice the grainy stuff on the grass, the rocks and the aliased edges. This grainy look reminds me of PS1 textures.

Like AC4 and DR3, I predict many people will be disappointed by this sharpened look which completely destroy the image subdetails. Do remember that the final release of BF4 (and Ryse) on X1 did not use the magical upscaler so it is possible to bypass it. BF4 did use it for the preview they gave Digital foundry, but after all the negative feedback from DF, they finally decided (wisely) to use a normal (clean) upscaler.

I dont think anyone has said Titanfall was going to be a great looking game, its the gameplay that will rock with the game hopefully.
Its not competing with halo5 or killzone

globalisateur said:
selnor1983 said:

A Respawn Entertainment representative has come forward to highlight that the Titanfall closed alpha test has low resolution textures specifically to decrease the game's size and to test out different other features.

Titanfall is currently undergoing a special closed alpha stage on the Xbox One console and already quite a lot of materials have leaked, including a gameplay video or different screenshots.

Now, after some gamers manifested their disappointment with the game, one of Respawn's staff has taken to NeoGAF and confirmed that the textures in the alpha build at way lower than the ones in the final version.

"All textures in this Alpha Test build are at 25% of the final game's resolution. So if you're staring at a 256x256 texture, that's actually a 512x512 texture in the real game. 512? That's a 1024. It's a huge, huge, huge difference. Especially on terrain, weapons, cockpits, hands, effects, etc."

As such, anyone shouldn't make an opinion about Titanfall based on the current alpha.

The problem is not the resolution of the textures but the fact that the horrible sharpening upscaler (because of the native 720p) is used in Titanfall in every alpha videos/pics I have seen.

Every textures and assets (like grass) will have this generic grainy look already seen in AC4, COD and DR3. Here a cropped pic of Titanfall alpha I have made from a good screenshot. Notice the grainy stuff on the grass, the rocks and the aliased edges. This grainy look reminds me of PS1 textures.

Like AC4 and DR3, I predict many people will be disappointed by this sharpened look which completely destroy the image subdetails. Do remember that the final release of BF4 (and Ryse) on X1 did not use the magical upscaler so it is possible to bypass it. BF4 did use it for the preview they gave Digital foundry, but after all the negative feedback from DF, they finally decided (wisely) to use a normal (clean) upscaler.

I read about that.  Seems like something MS should be able to patch with SW (FW) down the road.

I'm curious to see how the load times turn out. Watching some alpha gameplay footage, it took close to 45 seconds for a round to load up. Wouldn't the larger textures == longer load times?

If it's not the case, then it might mean they are doing something genius with the Windows Azure/Live servers to help render that content more quickly. Titanfall more or less could be the first "cloud" game but we're just not hearing about it.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Then it should easily have the best grafix of all console games when it releases. Current footage looks great.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

globalisateur said:
selnor1983 said:

I havent noticed playing AC4. Well I notice that it doesnt look as sharp as Forza 5 or Ryse or Fifa 14 for example. But it still looks pretty good. Well the sea stuff looks better than the land stuff.

But I wouldnt worry. Dont forget its a fully online game. Games like WOW, MAG, Guild Wars, Unreal Tournament etc etc, were never as good as single player graphics. The latest videos for Titanfall on Xbox One look awesome fun. Its just good to know tha visuals arent what teh alpha test is for. Hence loads of visuals missing.

fleischr said:
I'm curious to see how the load times turn out. Watching some alpha gameplay footage, it took close to 45 seconds for a round to load up. Wouldn't the larger textures == longer load times?

If it's not the case, then it might mean they are doing something genius with the Windows Azure/Live servers to help render that content more quickly. Titanfall more or less could be the first "cloud" game but we're just not hearing about it.

We are hearing about it. We had confirmation last week that Titanfall will use Cloud Processing for AI, Physics and dedicated servers. Also Forza 5 was the first on Xbox One with the Drivatars. Which worked amazingly well, and is a real step over the AI of previous generation.

Aerys said:
Darth Tigris said:
Wait, this is TITANFALL we're talking about, a huge next gen game that's not releasing on the PS4 and you expect people to be REASONABLE about it??? SERIOUSLY???!!!

This game will be the fuel of widespread fanboy fires long after a theoretical multiplatform sequel is released ..... :-/

So much overhype, this game seems cool but " huge" , i dont think so.

and it's already multiplatform

Pc is essentially MS domain.