By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need Elon Musk from Tesla Motors to show the big 3 the middle finger and make a console

Sometime in late 2000s, the console market matured and when market matures, a major shift in focus occurs in terms of business strategy. Instead of innovations and new ideas that are meant to bring in a new audience, in a mature market the focus for companies becomes to maximize revenue from the existing users. 

To maximize revenue from existing users, you have to appeal to the majority with features, games and marketing. Problem is that true innovative ideas that rock the boat rarely do that. Let's look at 3 innovative consoles from the past:

Sega Dreamcast - Online gaming network - current standard amongst all consoles

Nokia Ngage - gaming on a smartphone - current standard amongst all smartphones

Nintendo Wii - motion control gaming 

Only 1 out of those 3 was initially successful. While it is true that the other 2 stumbled with execution, the fact they were going in to uncharted waters only made it harder to steer the ship at the time. Why would Sony or Microsoft risk going in to uncharted waters when the gravy train is just getting good where they are?

Looking at next gen console sales and how much PS4 and Xbox One sold this holiday season only for showing up, it is pretty clear that we are not going to get anything revolutionary this gen from the big 3, which is unfortunate. 

At this point I personally am sick and tired of the current console gaming standard and the idea of "faster with more pixels" isn't good enough for me to keep investing my time in to console gaming. I really hope some of these other gaming alternatives like Android consoles, Oculus Rift, Steambox...etc...provide some innovative ideas that will change gaming, even if they initially fail.

It's clear that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are perfectly happy maintaining the status quo and counting the $$$ hand over fist that gamers are sending their way. 

Around the Network

I don't see how creating a video game console fits with Elon Musk trying to realize his vision of a sustainable future or space colonisation...

And I think we're already on the cusp of what you're asking for; VR is coming (for real this time), and it will revolutionize gaming in a far more fundamental and meaningful way than waggling a remote, or even online gaming in the long run.

Yeah... maybe Musk can suck a few more billions out of the government titty to get right on that.

nice troll thread!

keep the BS coming.

lmao Yahh motion controls so revolutionary, that its creator dropped it from their next console.

ehhh.... Oculus Rift is PS4/X1 games played on a head set not a tv, yahh big big change.

YAhh its not like Sony is making a headset that you can game on, or eye toy for PS2

And lets forget that MS took waggle and took it far enough to rid of the controller all together.

I really don't want to reply to the troll above since he can't form a proper sentence.

However I thought I'd mention to those that don't know that Wiimotes work perfectly fine on the WiiU and can be utilized for many games. In fact they are absolutely necessary if you want to play 2 player New Super Mario Brothers.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
I don't see how creating a video game console fits with Elon Musk trying to realize his vision of a sustainable future or space colonisation...

And I think we're already on the cusp of what you're asking for; VR is coming (for real this time), and it will revolutionize gaming in a far more fundamental and meaningful way than waggling a remote, or even online gaming in the long run.

I guess my headline doesn't fit in to Elon Musks vision of the future... But I think it does fit in with what Tesla Motors did to to the auto industry.