By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was YOUR most influential game of the previous gen?

What was the most influential game?

Mario Galaxy 55 34.59%

Red Dead Redemption 11 6.92%

COD4: MW 31 19.50%

Xenoblade 10 6.29%

Uncharted 2 41 25.79%

GTA V 7 4.40%

Total:155
DanneSandin said:
Rychussnik said:
DanneSandin said:
Mine is, and I'm not even joking, Wii Sports (and Zelda: TP). These two games is what turned me into a gamer again. I hadn't played console games in 10 years almost when I first tried Wii Sports in early 2007, and it just blew me away!

I could definately see Wii sports as one of the most influential, it sold a crazy amount and was probably the single most played game of the last gen. 

And it hooked Sony and MS on motion controls ^^ quite a forerunner, eh?

lol, it started the whole damn craze!

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:
Starting to get tired of these kind of rants from Forums like we know best. ( Not picking on the OP ).

Ill just name my most enjoyable fun game last gen. Isnt that why we play games?

Most fun had was with Halo 4.

I didn't intend for this to be a rant, so if that's what it came across as, i apologise. For me, having the most fun with a game, and a game being more influential are two different things. 

Me gusta queso 

COD4. A game that influenced the whole genre after it. Not many games nowadays can say that.

• Popularized iron sights in FPS games
  • Made rechargable health standard in shooters
  • Sprinting in shooters

Rychussnik said:
selnor1983 said:
Starting to get tired of these kind of rants from Forums like we know best. ( Not picking on the OP ).

Ill just name my most enjoyable fun game last gen. Isnt that why we play games?

Most fun had was with Halo 4.

I didn't intend for this to be a rant, so if that's what it came across as, i apologise. For me, having the most fun with a game, and a game being more influential are two different things. 

Hey dont apologise. You have nothing to be sorry for. Your OP was fine. Its just the usual Forum stuff thats getting old after 5 - 6 years here. I wouls say Wii Sports for your OP.

FPS's etc arent the same influence to me. Just an evolution of a crowd who were wating for that evolution. The Wii and Wii Sports were the most influential items and games last gen. Kinect wouldnt exist without it. Move wouldnt exist without it. Xbox Fitness, Dance games etc etc. All exist because of the Wii.

hinch said:

COD4. A game that influenced the whole genre after it. Not many games nowadays can say that.

• Sprinting in shooters

Disagree here. COD 4 the first one was a good game. The things you mentioned were already in other games. For example Halo 2 made rechargable health standard. Games including COD 4 followed down Halos path with the health.

Sprinting in shooters was around in many shooters before COD4. Iron sights also.

All COD4 did is actually hve a decent War game with the first MW. It came along at the right time. When everyone was still doing WW2.

If anything all COD4 can be given for influence was they influenced modern warfare in FPS. Now they all bloody do it.

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:
hinch said:

• Sprinting in shooters

Disagree here. COD 4 the first one was a good game. The things you mentioned were already in other games. For example Halo 1 and 2 both made rechargable health standard. Games including COD 4 followed down Halos path with the health.

Sprinting in shooters was around in many shooters before COD4. Iron sights also.

All COD4 did is actually hve a decent War game with the first MW. It came along at the right time. When everyone was still doing WW2.

If anything all COD4 can be given for influence was they influenced modern warfare in FPS. Now they all bloody do it.

Actually, in terms of game mechanics Halo didn't do much to define the genre. It wasn't until COD4 came along that the aspects I listed above because popular, thus standard in most modern shooters.

Bioshock 1 for me. The "thinking man's FPS" that had so many possibilities, terrific atmosphere, and a engaging story with nice twists.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Super Mario™ Galaxy.

sales2099 said:
Bioshock 1 for me. The "thinking man's FPS" that had so many possibilities, terrific atmosphere, and a engaging story with nice twists.

confession time: i've never played bioshock...

Me gusta queso 

hinch said:
selnor1983 said:
hinch said:

• Sprinting in shooters

Disagree here. COD 4 the first one was a good game. The things you mentioned were already in other games. For example Halo 1 and 2 both made rechargable health standard. Games including COD 4 followed down Halos path with the health.

Actually. In terms of game mechanics Halo didn't do much to define the genre. It wasn't until COD4 came along that the aspects I listed above because popular, thus standard in most modern shooters.

I wasnt trying to say Halo done anything. I was saying COD certainly didnt.

Halo actually did alot more than COD.

Halo popularised only 2 weapons at a time. Breaking the norm from being able to carry 20 weapons at once in every shooter. It popularised rechargabe health, as Gears Of War, among others adopted rechargable health before COD 4. These things were popular before COD 4.

COD4 is a good modern war shooter. It popularised modern warfare in games. Thats what it did. Not the things that were already done by many before it.