By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NPD: Apple Is The King With 42% of All Smatphones Sold in Q4 2013

The day that Samsung outsells apple in mobile can't come soon enough

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Interesting, but other than Samsung's phones, no other Android phone sells well in the US. Apple did release 2 new phones in the last few months, whilst Samsung only released the Note 3, and the Note is not anywhere near as popular as the Iphone so that explains Apple's market share.

Surprising that Windows/ Nokia isn't even mentioned. Wasn't the Windows OS supposed to be making huge increases by now?

What? Samsung Released so many phones in 2013 with their flagships being the Galaxy S4 and the Note 3... and WP is laughable

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
MoHasanie said:
Interesting, but other than Samsung's phones, no other Android phone sells well in the US. Apple did release 2 new phones in the last few months, whilst Samsung only released the Note 3, and the Note is not anywhere near as popular as the Iphone so that explains Apple's market share.

Surprising that Windows/ Nokia isn't even mentioned. Wasn't the Windows OS supposed to be making huge increases by now?

What? Samsung Released so many phones in 2013 with their flagships being the Galaxy S4 and the Note 3... and WP is laughable

I meant high end devices. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
MoHasanie said:

Well... than you should have included the Galaxy s4 cause thats the best selling phone from Samsung in 2013 and its really high end as well

MoHasanie said:
MoHasanie said:

Well... than you should have included the Galaxy s4 cause thats the best selling phone from Samsung in 2013 and its really high end as well

Of course. That is Samsung's flagsip device, and the best selling Android phone of 2013, but, it released in April, and this article talks about the fourth quarter. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
MoHasanie said:

Of course. That is Samsung's flagsip device, and the best selling Android phone of 2013, but, it released in April, and this article talks about the fourth quarter. 

Ohh I see, you got a good point then

pezus said:

Not exactly reliable...

"NPD’s data comes from surveying some 4,500 smartphone users in the US. It’s important to note that Q4 2013 didn’t include December and thus didn’t factor in the holiday season, as the findings were collected between September and November 2013 as well as September and November 2012."

And yeah, the numbers are not for Q4 sales, but Q4 ownership out of those 4500 asked. I doubt this info is even statistically significant.

1. 4,500 is a more than large enough sample to draw good conclusions from, even in a population of 300 Million. It's a point of basic stats that I get tired of re-iterating every time somebody reads a survey that says something they don't want to hear.

2. NPD's ownership numbers have been corroborated by Comscore, which reports Apple at 41% as a 3 month moving average ending November.

3.Excluding December likely skews the numbers against Apple, because Apple typically does extremely well during the holidays and as shown in the above graph, seems to have the growth momentum in the US right now.

4. If anything, installed base numbers like these are more important than quarterly sales. Actively used devices are the ones that developers can sell apps to, not just the devices bought in the past month. And I assure you that a change of 7% is statistically significant in this survey.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Soleron said:
There should be a combined Android bar...

Comscore data shows US Android subscribers peaking around 54% about a year ago. It's slid back to 52% nowadays.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I bought an iPhone 5S today... paid more than my PS4

the only reason I have an apple phone,is because everybody in my family has one. there okay,but I'm not really a fan.