By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Microsoft ditching HD DVD?

This is interesting... on Digg there is an article saying that the division that launched the Xbox360 and the Zune will be launching something top secret tonight at midnight. The only description giving was that "It interacts with technology" (or something along those lines). Funny these two articles pop up at around the same time, no?

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Around the Network

So ..... if the 360 ever releases a blu-ray game of its own.... Sony will take a cut.. funny

So, is there any kind of output drop if you run the BD or HDDVD through a USB?

ckmlb said:

As per usual Peter Moore couldn't help but have a go at Sony and the PS3 "However, he suggested that whatever the outcome of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war, the Xbox 360 can adopt the dominant format since its uses an external drive. He also suggested that it's a weak point for PlayStation 3, saying Sony's system is stuck with only 1 format. Microsoft announced the Blu-Ray peripheral will connect to the Xbox 360 using one of the system's USB ports. Moore once again confirmed that the Blu Ray add-on for the Xbox 360 is only for watching movies, and there are currently no plans to use it for games, nor are there plans to release an Xbox 360 with an internal Blu Ray drive.

I cannot say 100 percent as I am taking this translation from elsewhere and if someone can read that and confirm the translation is not off or anything it would be great.  It's looking bad for HD-DVD right now.

This Peter Moore is shameless. Hahaha!!! First he admit that the Blu Ray is winning, then he go on saying that the creator of Blu Ray is losing out coz they cant have dual formats. The thing is that, since Blu Ray is gonna be the winner.... Who the hell cares if it supports HD DVD? As if PS3 doesnt have USB port to add on a HD DVD. The only reason why Sony does not have a HD DVD external drive is due to the fact that they know it will be a redundant piece of equipment. Looks like 360 will be more expensive than the PS3.... Heh!! Bring consumers cutting edge technology with a price!

That is a very old news and it was wrong as well

Around the Network

The rampant Sony fanboyism is intense here. Seriously, if Sony fans can't have a winning game console they're going to make damn sure you know they have a winning disc format... pathetic.

If Blu-Ray does win and does well though I hope its stark contrast of success against the PS3 will convince Sony to abandon gaming, I honestly don't mind their movie making so much as I do their gaming department, so the lesser of two evils is a compromise I can live with.