By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bruceongames: SSBB will not be a big game for 2008

So it has sold 840,000 in it’s launch week in Japan, getting to a million after eleven days. And with expectation at a fever pitch it will definitely launch at number one in America and Europe. But will it be one of the biggest games of 2008? No, and the reasons are obvious. They are the same reason that SMG, also one of the best reviewing games ever, was only number 30 in the UK sales chart for the whole of last year.

Basically Super Smash Bros, Brawl (SSBB) and SMG are gamer’s games. They are mainly bought by people for whom gaming is a hobby. And whilst many Wii owners are gamers, most of them aren’t. Most Wii owners are casual game players, and whilst some of these may well be interested in SSBB, most won’t be.

A major difference between gamers games and casual games is the profile of sales over time. Gamers games sell massively at launch but after just a few weeks they are selling very few. Casual games just sell steadily and keep on selling. Just look at how long Brain Age has been in the charts, for instance. 

Is this guy for real? I especially like how he cherry-picks the sales of SMG to make them look bad. Of course, SMG was released in the middle of November and only had a month and a half to compete when a lof of those titles had all year. His "casual" argument falters again because Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 have all sold more than most "casual" games.   

Around the Network
Soriku said:
lulz. Can you give me a link to Bruceongames' blog or whatever?

Sure, its http://www.bruceongames.com/ I didn't post it in the first message because the blog owner was posting ads for it last week and I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to promote the website.

Well, seeing as he (Or someone pretending to be him) got banned from here for sheer retardation....

Not shocking. He was briefly welcomed as an outside analyst, then within a day was kicked out for his remarkable stupidity. He made LEo-J look bright.

But don't worry, his blog is read by industry experts and CEOs. Which sadly tells me that those people really like wasting their valuable time.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Yeah, that guy was a moron. Smash will succeed because it's both hardcore and somewhat casual. That will definately have legs. His relating to SMG is so retarded it's not even funny.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I dunno, maybe the fact that Galaxy came out at the end of 2007 is the reason it's not #1? lol

Around the Network

Anyone who uses the word "whilst" twice in one sentence is trying to compensate for a lack of actual knowledge with words he thinks make him sound smart.

Smash is not hardcore. It's easy to pick up and play, yet there is a lot of room for learning how to master the game. The "easy to pick up hard to master" is one of the best strategies for making a video game. Just look at Blizzard's PC games, every single one of them follows that method and not a single one has sucked.

Why. God please tell me why. Why people have to bring articles written by random moron #34211 on this forums.

As Soriku said, it's not even funny, it's sad, very sad.

"for the whole of last year" = 1 month. Jesus.

naznatips said:
Anyone who uses the word "whilst" twice in one sentence is trying to compensate for a lack of actual knowledge with words he thinks make him sound smart.

He is breaking the first rule any teacher with a brain will tell you, do not use the same word in the same sentence twice or more. The guy is an idiot, and i am happy he got banned.

doucheongames said:

So it has sold 840,000 in it’s launch week in Japan, getting to a million after eleven days. And with expectation at a fever pitch it will definitely launch at number one in America and Europe. But will it be one of the biggest games of 2008? No, and the reasons are obvious. They are the same reason that SMG, also one of the best reviewing games ever, was only number 30 in the UK sales chart for the whole of last year.

Basically Super Smash Bros, Brawl (SSBB) and SMG are gamer’s games. They are mainly bought by people for whom gaming is a hobby. And whilst many Wii owners are gamers, most of them aren’t. Most Wii owners are casual game players, and whilst some of these may well be interested in SSBB, most won’t be.

A major difference between gamers games and casual games is the profile of sales over time. Gamers games sell massively at launch but after just a few weeks they are selling very few. Casual games just sell steadily and keep on selling. Just look at how long Brain Age has been in the charts, for instance.

And here he screws up again. He defines SMG as a "gamer's game" (this brought to you by the department of redundancy dept.), but it sells like his definition of how a casual game sells. Less than 20% of SMG's sales were first week, as compared to Halo 3 which sold roughly 50% of it's LTD in the first week, and has had more time to accrue sales after week one than SMG.

And sorry, douche, all people who play games are gamers, even if they're playing the Wii or Bejeweled on an eight year old PC. You aren't allowed to just change the definition of words to suit your purposes.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.