By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom Claims Its New Panta Rhei Game Engine Can Be Adapted To Any System

Tagged games:

Capcom's MT Framework game engine was pretty adaptable — it powered Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D on the 3DS as well as providing the horsepower for the company's home console titles — and the Japanese studio has gone on record to confirm that its successor will be just as versatile.

Panta Rhei is Capcom's latest engine, and is responsible for the amazing visuals we'll be seeing in PS4 exclusive Deep Down. However, Senior Manager of Technology Management Masauru Ijuin has said that the engine is scalable, and won't be restricted to Sony's console:

Panta Rhei can be adapted to anything. It is designed to be a general-purpose engine, and facilitate the creation of all types of games. Capcom creates games for a variety of genres, so this engine needs to be capable of handling whatever kind of game we want to make. Panta Rhei can meet the exact needs of each development team, no matter what type of game it is they’re making. This engine is pretty much “engineered specifically for Capcom games”

Panta Rhei will keep pace with technological innovation, including improved hardware performance. As this technology advances, the important question we must ask is how efficient can we be in developing games. Efficiency is not only about cost. It’s about how effectively we can invest in developing entertaining games.

At least with such a flexible game engine, it means that Capcom can't cite "development difficulties" when it comes to bringing its software to Nintendo's platforms. Hopefully we'll see Panta Rhei games on both the 3DS and Wii U in the near future.

[via dualshockers.comcapcom.co.jp]

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/capcom_claims_its_new_panta_rhei_game_engine_can_be_adapted_to_any_system

Around the Network

Does this mean no more excuses for no Vita games either?

nitekrawler1285 said:

Seeing as this isn't the only reason not to develop a game for reason, no.

It's getting there though. :P

So this means Capcom games will appear on the Wii U? Should I be excited? I honestly don't know how to feel.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

"This engine is pretty much “engineered specifically for Capcom games”

So it's designed for Capcom to easily release the same games over and over again?

Around the Network

It seems cool but I won't judge until I see some actual games being on all systems

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

nitekrawler1285 said:

I think almost every game flopping is a really good excuse

How come this is the first time I hear about this Engine then?

I don´t know what to think about this. I mean Capcom does make good games but most of them don´t look all that fantastic I mean they look good but none of their games on the PS360 was a "looker" ecept of this years DMC but that runs on UE3 and has the best level design of all Capcom games.

For what I have seen of Panta Rhei looks amazing, but we´ll see how it will keep up with other engines after 3 years.

I would like to know if Panta Rhei will support their fighting games or if they will create another engine for SF 5

MT Framework did wonders. It was well optimized, looked and run great. Deep down already looks very impressive. On PC you knew every MT Framework game was a winner, 1080p60fps for next to nothing. Well except Lost Plantet 2 >_>. Id like to see what can be done on Wii U, hopefully it gets its own Darkside/Umbrella Chronicle esque games. Those were real lookers on the Wii.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine