By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo is super important.

Tagged games:

Is Nintendo important?

Yes, they are. 133 82.61%

No, they are not. 22 13.66%

Total:155

JoRu said:

In terms of the technology used, true. But Nintendo was the ones who showed the market possibilities when you make motion the centerpiece of the entire hardware rather than an accessory like EyeToy or a Guitar Hero-instrument.

Yes, Nintendo made motion controls mainstream, Kudos for that.

Sure, emulation has been possible a long time, but from a market standpoint; utilizing digital distribution to sell those old games again was a great idea courtesy of Nintendo. Instead of just making hardware backwards compatible to make transitions between consoles smoother you essentially put old games back on the market (= $$$), making money not just from added value to the hardware but actually having previously unavailable content (legally) made easily available on your new platform. Sony and Microsoft would've probably done it eventually, but not that quickly and perhaps not that successfully.

Before digital distribution, the classics were monetized in compilations (since retail distribution was too costly for single classic games). Many of that compilations are available since the Nineties: Atari Masterpieces / Action Packs, Activision Anthology, Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits, Sonic Collection, Lost Treasures of Infocom, Interplay Anthology Collection...

Steam established digital distribution many years before the Virtual Console startet. Microsoft followed with the first XBLA games 2005 (they had no own classics, so they had to offer other small download titles) and game demos. Digital distribution of classics and other games would have happened on Sony and Microsoft platforms not later, if Nintendo had not made its move. The infrastructure was there and selling software additionally to offering free demos was a logical step.

Around the Network
JoRu said:
Pristine20 said:
Are they important., yes. Why? They have the most fanatics for a reason.
Are they indispensable? No. Why? Many of us do just fine without them

These are different questions.

Yeah, sorry, that's not really a valid thing to say. The gaming industry adapts from what Nintendo does (in the same way that it adapts from what Sony and Microsoft does). If Nintendo would just suddenly disappear one day for some reason everyone gets affected, whether you're a supporter of Nintendo or not. You can't "do just fine without them", as if they're a separate entity that you can just dispatch of and trod along as if nothing will happen. The PS4 and the Xbox One everyone are enjoying today are the results of what their competitors, including Nintendo, are doing and have been doing for the last 35 years, adapted to suit their philosophies and tweaked to fit their audience.

Truth be told, they're still the most ballsy gaming hardware manufacturer in the business. Motion controls inspired Kinect which in turn inspired the design for Xbox One. The Virtual Console inspired the digital distribution of old Xbox- and Playstation-titles on Xbox Live and PSN, which now is a huge selling point for Sony when it comes to what Playstation Now can offer. Their hardware design and game design has always influenced the industry, and guess what? Nintendo will continue to.

Indispensable? Well, Sony and Microsoft also have a history of innovation (although not nearly as extensive or ballsy) so it would probably not destroy the industry. But it would be a very boring industry with little variety and fewer innovations. If they're not indispensable then at least very important to its well-being, arguably more important than Microsoft and Sony are on their own (although both disappearing would obviously be the biggest possible disaster).

Yes, I maintain that I will do just fine without them. I don't want to see them leave (enough companies have disappeared already) but if that happened in the worst case scenario, someone will fill the void. They won't be as good though but the effort will be there. Nintendo is more ballsy in their hardware manufacturing in an effort to differentiate themselves from the competition. In the days of NES to Gamecube, they didn't have any real quirks to their home consoles.

After the ps2 era, it became clear that nintendo wasn't going to win again with conventional console formulas especially after MS joined in on the action. MS was no SEGA, they had the money to ensure their system was supported. Thus, the wii was born and now, it's successor, the Wii U.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

WagnerPaiva said:

Here is a outsider perspective on the matter, there is too much fanboysm going on and, as a notorious Sony fanboy and all around shallow individual myself, this is my take on the Nintendo importance, which, as I see, is vital to the gaming industry:

1 - They saved the american gaming industry once, this alone make them light years more important than all the others.

All these western companies trying to shove FPSs down our throats would not even exist if it was not because of Nintendo and their iconic NES and Mario mania in the 80´s

2 - Their haters are not that bright. I get why the kids hate them, they have this ilusion that video games are not toys, which is a lie, and that playing games is a serious thing, which is stupid.

If you do not get it, you are probably not the sharpest pencil in the box: when you play your FPS, you are pretending to be a soldier, this not diferent than pretending to be a magical plumber or a boy elf in green, it is a fun ilusion altogether, but it is suppose to be fun and vide games ARE toys, meant to be played after a hard day of work.

3 - If you do not work, you do not value your play time.

These CofD, Halo fans will not be playing video games forever, they will drop the hobby as soon as the military, testosterone-filled FPS craze goes away, and it will, just like Guitar Hero did.
Nintendo will endure and survive, their haters will not. They will get out of gaming as soon as they discover girls or something like that, real gamers do it for ever, even after married or having kids, but they have no ilusions about the importance of gaming: it is a toy, they do it for fun, for relaxing.

4 - They did not jumped in the FPS bandwagon. Nintendo gets it, it is more important to be cool than to be in the fashion, the fashion followers today are the goofy looking people of tomorrow.

The WiiU may not win this gen, but this do not matter, it will turn a profit and that is the only thing that matters to a company survival.

When the next stupid craze gets here, we will again have discussions why Nintendo is not relevant and Zelda should look like Skrym, which is such a dumb idea that makes my head hurts.

If Nintendo followed these dumb western people ideas, they would have gone bankrupt a long time ago, thank god for Shigeru, thank god for Iwata.

1: That doesn't mean they're important, that means they were important. The industry doesn't need saving anymore.

2: That is downright insulting to everyone who doesn't like Nintendo. Unlesss you're talking specifically about the vocal minority that does actually hate Nintendo with all their might, but that doesn't make them important, and it's not like there aren't any Nintendo apologists who are just as bad.

3: Again, I don't see what this has to do with Nintendo being important. You're not even praising Nintendo in this, just praising its fans and bashing FPS fans. Also, FPSes are not going to die, just like platformers didn't die. The market may shrink in the future, but it won't die.

4: That doesn't mean anything. There are tons of developers who don't make FPSes, why does this make Nintendo important, let alone "super Important"?

I'm not saying that Nintendo isn't important at all (after all, they own the vast majority of handheld gaming, and while their consoles aren't anywhere near as successful as their handhelds, they still compete with Sony's and Microsoft's), but none of your points have anything to do with why they're important.

TornadoCreator said:

And by that definition a pair of shoes, a DVD, or an ice cream would qualify as a toy so long as an adult buys them and intends to enjoy them in any capacity. Any student of language would know that a dictionary definition is woefully inadequate in any meaningful or in depth discussion, and quoting a dictionary is no more valid that saying "Bob said so". Dictionaries are written by commitee anyway, and we all know how useless that is, one only needs to look at world governments to see a prime example. It's argumentum ad populum at it's worst, as not only is it popular opinion of the commitee, with compromises destroying all accuracy and integrity of the text, but it's unaccountable at that, as no-one knows who's actually deciding on these definitions. Now, in the context of what we're discussing, the psychology of play, these words carry specific meaning, just like how "dirt" has no meaning in the field of forensic science, but means something to a layperson. It's incredible how little of these detailed meanings make it into the dictionary.

In the discusson present, a toy is something that is played with in deconstructive or constructive play in which there is no structure, goal, or pre-determined purpose. You know that definition is correct, I know that definition is correct; and we both know it without the need of a "source" to quote too. You can argue semantics if you like, but if someone pointed to a table with a 6 inch plastic train, a travel set of monopoly, and a copy of 'Dark Souls' for PS3, on it and said, "Could you pass Daves toy", you'd pick up the train and you know you would, you'd not stop and ask "which one" would you? Any honest person would admit this much; this is because we all know, on a subconcious level what people mean when they say "toy".

Honestly, I've always considered semantic arguments like this to be a sign of intellectual dishonesty, there's no way to disprove what either is saying but deep down we both know who's right, and the reluctance to admit that only makes people seem petty and childish, so I'd rather not push this argument any further because I don't see anyone having the humility to capitulate, (especially on the internet).

One of the big annoyances for me here, especially when it comes to this misuse of the word "toy", is it's used derogatorily, in order to undermine and demine the medium of video games, and the people who play them. It's a god damn insult in other words, so why anyone would choose to perpetuate it seems senseless to me. This is why it's worth correcting, after all, I believe video games to be an artistic medium with just as much legitimacy as film, music, or any classic art. Would you also call a music CD a "toy"? No you wouldn't, and if you say you would, we both know you're lying just to be trite so don't bother.

Again, I ask where your limited definition comes from. I didn't just quote the dictionary, I made an argument based on the etymology of the word, which you blew over. You keep using the phrase "psychology of play." Is there a paper published on this, "psychology of play" that clarifies these definitions? Anyway, the word "toy" is very often used to refer to objects one obtains which one derives trivial and easy enjoyment. Are you telling me that you've never heard somebody use the expression, "look at my new toy" in reference to things you wouldn't classify (according to your definition) as your toy. Since "toy" in this context is used to refute the notion that games are NOT trivial devices used for the sole purpose of having fun, it is perfectly fitting to use the word toy. Especially, considering the etymology of the word. For your last question, I've heard plenty of times people refer to their MP3 players, stereos, laptops, televesions, etc as "my new toy." For the purposes of this argument, the same holds for video-games. They are just as trivial as, say, an automated train or a BB gun. 

BasilZero said:
Reported for posting my image in the OP you bish ;(

Anyways, Nintendo's important cause of their first party franchises such as Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, DK, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart. Otherwise I would never get a Nintendo system lol.

Did I?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.