By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

?

1080p 158 30.80%

60fps 289 56.34%

Results 65 12.67%

Total:512

I'd go with a solid 60fps. I just personally enjoy a consistent and smooth look. I would however increase the resolution before I go above 60fps.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network

The difference between 30 fps and 60 fps can be jarring. It makes a game feel very different.

I don't get that same feeling from 720p vs 1080p.

I've been playing BF4 on the X1. I love seeing it run smooth and fast like CoD without the crap graphics.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

disolitude said:

I've been gaming on PCs for well over a decade and have 3X 1080p monitors in Nvidia surround resolution of 5980x1080p (bezel corrected 5760x1080). I also have a 120 hz monitor which I give a go from time to time.

At these resolutions gaming becomes a game of trade-offs.

Do I want full rez and 60 fps (or even 120)? Well I have to lower the game details and AA.

Do I want all details and AA turned on? I may lower the resolution to do so...

Does anyone ever want a dipping stuttering frame rate? No they dont... So don't give me the BS that variable frame rate is an OK tradeoff as long as resolution and details are high.

Well i keep all my pc games vsynced on my 120hz monitor with my pc specs being a 570 and a i5 4670k @4.1. And playing bf4 maxed at 1080p 2xaa (I think) with vsync has much less input lag than a 30fps game on the ps3 like bf3 and feels much closer to 60fps and I know for a fact that bf4 doesnt run 60fps with my specs. Again maybe its not unlocked but i get much less input lag. And knack and killzone shadowfall sp are both 1080p with an unlocked framerate and I also have much less input lag than a 30fps game from the ps3 or even dead rising 3 without any screen tearing. I like that more than I do 60fps and a lower resolution.

1080p. When I play on PC, I first set the resolution to 1080p, then remove effects until I get a steady 30 fps.
60 fps is nice, but after playing NFS rivals at 1080p, when it comes to a choice, I rather be able to see the traffic in the distance than have 17ms faster response time.

Of course 1080p60 is the best option (for current tv displays anyway), another Wipeout HD please.

Pemalite said:
disolitude said:

I've been gaming on PCs for well over a decade and have 3X 1080p monitors in Nvidia surround resolution of 5980x1080p (bezel corrected 5760x1080). I also have a 120 hz monitor which I give a go from time to time.

Do I want full rez and 60 fps (or even 120)? Well I have to lower the game details and AA.

Does anyone ever want a dipping stuttering frame rate? No they dont... So don't give me the BS that variable frame rate is an OK tradeoff as long as resolution and details are high.

Pretty much.
However, the advantage the PC has is you can just throw more hardware at the performance problem.
You could achieve 120fps with everything on max in most games if you wen't with 3-4x Titans or Radeon 290's.
Basically, if you are willing to spend the cash, you can have zero compromises, where-as with consoles you are given what you get, regardless if you like it or not.

Besides on the PC, todays demanding game is essentially tomorrows solitair.

While I agree to an extent that PCs have a lot more flexibility in terms of performance relative to $$$ spent... at some point spending 2X the money to get more 15% extra performance becomes a little too much, especially when you could lower the settings slightly and usually accomplish the same thing.

Like I have 2X GTX 770 4GB in SLI. Could I add a 3rd and improve performance? Sure...Maybe sell them and get GTX 780TIs? You bet... But everything runs butter smooth on 3X1080p as long as I utilize FXAA and alternate between high and ultra details, depending on the game. So spending another 400 bucks to me just isn't worth it for an extra texture here and there.

But to conclude...PCs win this whole thread due to their flexibility, since you can lower setting and choose 1080p or 60 fps. You want it all? Get a PC...

Around the Network
Salnax said:
Assuming 720p and 30 FPS is the default, 60 FPS. Because while both 720 and 1080 will look bad in ten or twenty years when 4k is the standard definition, 60 FPS is always going to look good.

60fps, still looking good?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbRL_v97qbE
(embed seems broken)

vivster said:
I say if this were really next gen this wouldn't be a question.

Agreed. I thought we would never be having such discussions in this gen.

@ OP, I normlly don't notice FPS or any lack thereof, so 1080p for me and my 65" TV.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

NYCrysis said:
disolitude said:

Well i keep all my pc games vsynced on my 120hz monitor with my pc specs being a 570 and a i5 4670k @4.1. And playing bf4 maxed at 1080p 2xaa (I think) with vsync has much less input lag than a 30fps game on the ps3 like bf3 and feels much closer to 60fps and I know for a fact that bf4 doesnt run 60fps with my specs. Again maybe its not unlocked but i get much less input lag. And knack and killzone shadowfall sp are both 1080p with an unlocked framerate and I also have much less input lag than a 30fps game from the ps3 or even dead rising 3 without any screen tearing. I like that more than I do 60fps and a lower resolution.

With PC's you have the flexibility to adjust these settings and get FPS between 30 and 60 which is why your situation above works. With consoles, it is usually locked and you get an option for one or the other.

Lets put it this way:

Would I go down to 720p if someone promissed me minimum 30FPS or higher at 1080p? Probably not...

Would I go down to 720p if someone promissed me locked 60fps vs locked 30fps on 1080p? Absolutely...

720p may look slightly worse but doubling the frame rate affects the visuals just as much and improves the overall gameplay experience.

SvennoJ said:
Salnax said:
Assuming 720p and 30 FPS is the default, 60 FPS. Because while both 720 and 1080 will look bad in ten or twenty years when 4k is the standard definition, 60 FPS is always going to look good.

60fps, still looking good?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbRL_v97qbE
(embed seems broken)

This is @240p and still 30 fps since Youtube can't do 60.

Regardless of that, game looks more fun than latest COD :)

disolitude said:
NYCrysis said:
disolitude said:

With PC's you have the flexibility to adjust these settings and get FPS between 30 and 60 which is why your situation above works. With consoles, it is usually locked and you get an option for one or the other.

Lets put it this way:

Would I go down to 720p if someone promissed me minimum 30FPS or higher at 1080p? Probably not...

Would I go down to 720p if someone promissed me locked 60fps vs locked 30fps on 1080p? Absolutely...

720p may look slightly worse but doubling the frame rate affects the visuals just as much and improves the overall gameplay experience.

But explain killzone shadowfall running with an unlocked framerate with no problems with screen tearing and much less input lag than a locked 30fps game.