By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Insomniac...wow...

Insomniac has to be one of the greatest dev teams around. 

Stolen shamelessly from GAF:

From the latest issue of Game Developer magazine (Feb 2008). Some highlights:

To start, we decided to visualize the Ratchet & Clank universe PS3-style by recreating Metropolis, one of the iconic locations from our PS2 series. We did this by building a "diorama" of the city, adding vehicles, and sending a camera through it. We built our test city using the Resistance engine, stitched together a frame by frame camera fly through, and added audio effects to simulate the experience of being in Metropolis.

We were being compared to feature film CGI, and there was great enthusiasm for the game. When Sony told is that future gameplay deliveries needed to "drop jaws" as Metropolis did we wondered if we could ever match the results in-game.

After our PS3 launch title Resistance had successfully shipped, our 15-person preproduction team began to swell to more than 100 people (70 full time and numerous "shared" resources).

One of the tenets of Insomniac's culture is to allow creative contribution and control at all levels, and we had to balance this with another Insomniac truth - we never miss a deadline.

RFD included a new form of texture streaming that allowed us to add a great variety and lushness to our surfaces and further optimizations meant we could target 60 frames per second instead of 30. By shipping a game on PS3 we proved to ourselves we could do it successfully and gained the kind of understanding that only comes by doing.

Another big help was our "first party" developer/producer relationship with Sony. At a time when PS3 development kits were scarce, we had 150 of them in our studio. Sony Europe and Japan provided localization support for 13 languages, and our games was tested throughout America, Europe, and Asia.

We gave ourselves eight weeks from our project alpha date to "polish" our game and get it out the door.

We prepared a downloadable demo of our game to coincide with E3 but it was an in-progress demo that only ran at 30fps. So we scrapped it and made the demo again as we were closer to finishing the game.

Around the Network

That is a rather impressive set of accomplishments.

How much is a ps3 dev kit? Being supplied with 150 (Which... is more than they have staff?) seems like a nice boost, but to be fair, Insomniac has delivered far more than anyone else on the ps3. Well, so I say at least.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

yeah they kick ass

>How much is a ps3 dev kit? Being supplied with 150 (Which... is more than they have staff?)

If I remember correctly, some dev-kits are free.

any idea what's Insomniac next project?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

^^That'd be Resistance 2.

The bit about R&C being 60fps, I guess that means that R2 will be 60fps? And aren't the first screenshots 1920x1080? Is R2 going to be 1080p@60fps!?!

*drools*

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

The bit about R&C being 60fps, I guess that means that R2 will be 60fps? And aren't the first screenshots 1920x1080? Is R2 going to be 1080p@60fps!?!

*drools*

How could I forget that? lol, my mistake.

Although I'm not as a big pixel whore as I am a frame-rate whore. so I will go with 60fps at 720P if they can. R2 is going to be huge for PS3 in NA. 

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

I'm liking Insomniac more and more. They have to be among the best (if not the best) American developers. I like Naughty Dog too. :)

@makingmusic

Its a possibility, if it happens, and resistance 2 manages to look much better than the original running at 60fps in 1080p would be a huge leap in graphicle power for ps3's 2nd year.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

NYANKS said:
I'm liking Insomniac more and more. They have to be among the best (if not the best) American developers. I like Naughty Dog too. :)

well, it's hard to NOT like Insomniac, the marker of 2 of PS3 best games, Resistant and R&C.

Here's some developers I absolutely adore

Insomniac
Naughty Dog
Enix Square
Team ICO

and the last two has yet to come out with the games they are making, It's going to be a nice year. ;)

selnor
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
makingmusic476 said:

*drools*

How could I forget that? lol, my mistake.

Although I'm not as a big pixel whore as I am a frame-rate whore. so I will go with 60fps at 720P if they can. R2 is going to be huge for PS3 in NA.

Same here.  60fps > 1080p anyday.