By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BOLD PREDICTION: The PS4 will outsell the 3DS+Wii U

Do you think the PS4 will outsell the 3DS+Wii U?

Yes 431 30.12%

No 889 62.12%

They'll sell the same ak... 110 7.69%

Total:1,430

It's still unclear about the wii u. It's still struggling but Nintendo have lots of cards to play like price cutting. It's a very cheap console to make. I think the lowest it will do is something like 22 million. However it could easily be turned around and do 50-60 million as the casual console choice again. I don't see it doing wii numbers.

The 3DS is harder to work out because we don't know when it will be replaced. A new improved model could come out with 3DS backwards compatibility and that won't count towards 3DS sales. Nintendo do revamp their handhelds quite frequently. So Nintendo themselves may limit 3DS numbers by replacing with something better.

I think the PS4 will do huge numbers. It's a fantastic product, very stylish, very powerful, highly desirable and a great price but there isn't a lot of software currently. I think next christmas will be when we see huge numbers. Sony keep selling the same hardware for a long time. The PS4 will probably continue being sold into poorer countries many years after the PS5 has come out. I really think its going to do some huge numbers. Somewhere between 100-150 million. However that figure may not be reached into 2020 or beyond. Also the PS4 may get integrated into other devices like televisions. It's possible a ps4 design without optical drive and reliant on flash memory rather than a physical hard drive becomes integrated into other devices. It's already quite a simple motherboard. A few later generations in fabrication process for the silicon will make it very low power and cool running. Faster internet connections will allow full games to download quickly. Sony will want to get more people using PSN and buying downloads. I also think by integrating ps4's into televisions there will be ways of improving input lag and much smoother visuals with the ps4 using something similar to nvidia's g-sync.

Around the Network

Unless Nintendo discontinues Wii U tomorrow, I don't think that's going to happen. The initial sales are nothing to go by, shit always sells out at launch.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Let's make a quick estimate...

3DS: 110M lifetime
WiiU: 50M lifetime

So

PS4: >160M lifetime

OK, not easy, but not impossibru.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Your prediction makes you look stupid right now....

DerNebel said:

I know this prediction might make me look stupid in a couple years but whatever. Here're my reasons:

I feel that the 3DS has reached its sales peak already last year/this year, it's downwards from here on, I see the 3DS selling more in the PSP range than the DSs. 

I predict that the Wii U will not suddenly take off and post huge sales, I see it selling in the GC range.

Initial demand for the PS4 seems huge, so I see higher sales than the PS3 thanks to better pricing, smarter release and a way better image from the start (the PS4 is not "a bluray player with no games, that is way to expensive"), so I can see the PS4 selling over 100m units maybe even closing on the PS2.

Of course there are still a ton of variables here, for example the development of the mobile/tablet market might eat into the PS4s sales, maybe the Steam Box and of course the X1, maybe Amazon or Apple decide to enter in the race, maybe the Ouya (ok, maybe not :D). So that prediction is very dangerous, but anyway what's your opinion?

Around the Network

I highly doubt ps4 will reach 100 million and I actually see a decline this gen because of smartphones/PC gaming. Cloud gaming should be around in 2-3 years which hurt consoles because third party can stream there games on phones or iPads.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Bold indeed and highly improbable. 3DS should at least double its present ltd before it goes off the market, and that is a low estimate. Wii U will at least sell as much as gamecube and that's a low estimate. So with those low estimates PS4 will need to sell >100 million. I don't think PS4 will sell 100 million. I also think 3DS will probably sell 100 million by itself. Even though handheld consoles is a shrinking market it's not going to shrink by more than 30% compared to DS IMO.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Alby_da_Wolf said:

So

You think the wii u is going to sell 50m

Lol.. it's nice to want things

007BondAgent said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

So

You think the wii u is going to sell 50m

Lol.. it's nice to want things

Interesting that according to you the only "problem" worth mentioning in his post are the 50m WiiUs and not the possibility of 160m for PS4. In case you didn´t notice he was just joking anyway.

No, because that implies the PS4 will sell over 100m. Which I don't see happening.