By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - what's the point of social media?

i use it to keep in touch with family and friends i dont see. i dont really post updates on my own as i have no need to share what i do every day, or to give the internet my life story only to be used to hack my accounts elseware.

Around the Network

It's all about portraying yourself socially to other people.
And it helps to make us think that everything is about us.
We make these statuses and then hope as many people will 'like' them. Its very narcissistic.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

BasilZero said:
The same reason why you post here - to interact with people you met on the internet and (and since its G+ and FB) to interact with people you in IRL when you are otherwise unable to interact with them due to busy lives, etc.

Anyways, for me I use both Google+ and FB to promote my videos I make rather than actual interaction with people - but I do respond to doods who want to talk to me :O.

but it's not interacting with people in the traditional sense. talking to a chat icon,just isn't the same as talking to someone face to face. It just is'nt. All social media has done is take the social out of everything. Even that no longer requires any effort anymore. 

The point of facebook is only to find out about Celebrity deaths.

It's to fill the narcissistic side of people, that's why people keep posting dumb as shit like picture of what they ate for diner or who their fucking, we are living in this ''look at me look at me!!!!'' time period everyone wants to be a celebrity like kim kardashian (being celeb for being popular no talent involved)

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

To have things sold to you.

No, I don't really know, I don't even have facebook. Personally I think it differs from person to person, some find it very useful especially for keeping in touch with distant friends, others just use it as their portal to see what's going on in the world in the same way that other people read newspapers or magazines or watch the news on TV

If it's stopped being useful to you, don't worry about leaving, fundamentally it is much less important than some people seem to think

I'm in constant communication with all of my friends, despite sometimes not seeing some of them for weeks at a time. I'm in contact with old friends and family members that live so far away I would realistically never see or talk to them. I'm constantly in a discussion or collaborating on a project with my fellow filmmakers or keeping up on what my extended family is up to.

There are a lot of reasons social media is awesome. It can go too far, and it's all about how you use it, but saying that it has no point just because there's a lot of garbage on it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Sometimes I become obsessive and spend too much time on Facebook, but as a tool it's invaluable.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

I dont call for social media

DerpSandwich said:
I'm in constant communication with all of my friends, despite sometimes not seeing some of them for weeks at a time. I'm in contact with old friends and family members that live so far away I would realistically never see or talk to them. I'm constantly in a discussion or collaborating on a project with my fellow filmmakers or keeping up on what my extended family is up to.

There are a lot of reasons social media is awesome. It can go too far, and it's all about how you use it, but saying that it has no point just because there's a lot of garbage on it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Sometimes I become obsessive and spend too much time on Facebook, but as a tool it's invaluable.

Let me ask you a question. Why,can't you just use a phone for all of that? 

oldschoolfool said:
DerpSandwich said:

Let me ask you a question. Why,can't you just use a phone for all of that? 

That's simple, people don't have the time for interactive 1 on 1 conversation anymore. It all started with the answering machine, leave a message, I'll leave a message for you.

Social media allows you to keep in touch with people without ever having to talk directly to them. Yup it takes the social out of interaction in that sense. That's where all the other nonsense on facebook comes in, people still have a need for small talk, rumors, gossip and acknowledgement.  The stuff you all did when visiting or meeting people in the street before smart phones and internet.
The same reason why people like party chat, no need to actually visit with people, still the benefit of mindless chatter.