By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the option became available, would you upgrade to a HD Gamepad?

Tagged games:

To HD or not to HD? That is the question...

Day one!!! 21 26.58%

Interesting. Definite maybe. 29 36.71%

Fuck no! Like the Wii U n... 25 31.65%

What's a Gamepad? 4 5.06%

Total:79

Seeing as how I do most of my gaming on the Gamepad it's self I think I would definitely put down some cash to go HD. Give me a good trade in offer for the old pad and I'm there. What do y'all think?

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

Likely not. It wouldn't be cheap.

Also, since I got the Pro controller I rarely use the gamepad anymore.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Due to the Gamepad's small screen the output looks pretty good,least to me. Seems like an unnecessary added cost that would unlikely move enough units to warrant a retail release. I heard the Gamepad itself atm would cost around an extra $100 to $150 by itself so would an HD Gamepad be quite a bit more?

painmaster212 said:
Due to the Gamepad's small screen the output looks pretty good,least to me. Seems like an unnecessary added cost that would unlikely move enough units to warrant a retail release. I heard the Gamepad itself atm would cost around an extra $100 to $150 by itself so would an HD Gamepad be quite a bit more?

It does look good. Maybe if they just increased the back light on it would pop a little bit more. Surely that wouldn't be too much of a price increase? 

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I guess the Wifi bandwidth isn't enough for HD.
But a screen with better black levels would be nice.

Around the Network
episteme said:
I guess the Wifi bandwidth isn't enough for HD.
But a screen with better black levels would be nice.

Pretty much this. 

The recent Digital Foundry article on remote play shed some light on how difficult it seems to be to get a good quality, artifact and lag free remote play experience. The fact that the Gamepad's range is not that large may also suggest that Nintendo is already pushing the streaming bandwith close to it's limits as is and hence as soon as you move too far from the system it cuts out (i.e. rather than compromise on image quality or latency).

Although I don't think the screen is a problem I'd be all for an AMOLED  or some other better LCD technology to improve contrast, black levels and vibrancy but again I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost.

Would be easier if nintendo just released a controller where you could attach your android/iOS device to work as the screen. Could reduce the cost of the package, the batteries would have a longer life, and you could just use as a normal controller if you didn't buy the idea of dual screan game.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

480p is hd to me. It sure ain't standard definition.  My1080i tv looks better, don't get me wrong,  But the Nintendo Wii U GamePad is right for it's size.

I wouldnt mind at least a 720p screen but the amount of cost that will come with wont be worth it... So maybe

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Definitely interested. I notice a big difference in clarity between playing Lego Marvel Superheroes on tv and on the gamepad. When I just started the game it was a bit confusing due to all the detail getting scaled down to a lower resolution. (Lossy compression when tons of bits and pieces are flying around doesn't help clarity either)

It's probably not possible with the current WiiU though. I assume the compression and transmission happens on a hardware level. A revision of the WiiU with h.265 streaming or beefed up wifi could do it. It would be nicer if they could first extend the range.