By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - killzone 2 worth the wait?

makingmusic476 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Munkeh111 said:

They have been working on it for so long, with the highest budget for a game ever, working with other sony studios, they having the backing of the whole PlayStation division, I think that they will get this game to work well. Only one game has had problems when it has been exclusive for the PS3, and that was Lair, and the problems were mostly design problem

It really depends on what you mean by "problems" ... if you're only talking about performance issues than you may be correct.

When it comes to games being very pretty and very bad at the same time the PS3 has had quite a few. One of the most noteable games was Genji: Days of the Blade which was Published by Sony and Hyped by PS3 fans until it was released; when Genji turned out to be one of the most beatifully polished turds in the PS3's launch line-up suddenly no one would admit to claiming that it's beauty ensured that it was going to be a great game.

People hyped Genji? Lol!

I downloaded the demo after I got my ps3, and thought it both looked and played like crap.

Not after it was released ...

But from E3 2006 until early November (when people started hearing just how bad it was) there were a lot of PS3 fans who were claiming that it would be better than Zelda; in hindsight it sounds stupid, but so does most hype.

Around the Network

@ twestern, I was talking about PS3 exclusives only, as I said apart from Lair, how many have been poor technically

Munkeh111 said:
Onyxmeth said:
I think there is too much hype behind the game for it to deliver in the way people hope it will, but I could be wrong. History is showing us that Killzone 2 will match or barely exceed Killzone in terms of quality. The situations are the same. Coming up on the original Killzone, early builds were looking good, both gameplay wise and graphics wise. The problem is that it's always been labeled a Halo Killer, and that is damn near unachievable. Halo isn't Halo simply because of the quality of gameplay. Halo is Halo because of it's massive popularity, which Killzone 2 can not simply match. With that all being said, I believe Sony has learned from their past mistakes with this franchise and will make sure the quality is there before release. I still think Resistance 2 will wipe the floor with it however. Insomniac is no joke, and until they prove otherwise Guerilla is a joke.

Guerilla made the excellent Killzone Liberation, which although only average reviews from many places, was brilliant, one of the best PSP games to date. In what way has history shown us that Killzone 2 will barely exceed Killzone in terms of quality, if it is not good, then Sony will have waited a lot of money, and I think they have invested the money so that it will be good. Why does everyone just assume it will be bad?

First of all, if you had read my post in it's entirety, you'll have noticed the following sentence:

"WITH THAT ALL BEING SAID, I BELIEVE SONY HAS LEARNED FROM THEIR PAST MISTAKES WITH THIS FRANCHISE AND WILL MAKE SURE THE QUALITY IS THERE BEFORE RELEASE" 

Anyone is entitled to think that Killzone 2 will bomb. The first one was hyped to all hell. Same as this game. It was known officially as the Halo killer. This same game is getting the same response thus far. Excuse me for being cautious when I feel like this is too deja vu for me.

Also just because you think Killzone: Liberation is brilliant is irrelevant. Popular opinion and critic averages say it was not brilliant.

This is why some think it will be bad. It is not assumptions. It's just also not blind faith in an unproven franchise that is on it's third attempt. I have already explained how history can show or at least speculate what the future of a franchise will be like.

However, news coming from this game has been positive. Industry insiders have had time with the game and say it's on track for success. As time goes on and more positive things are said by those in the know, I warm up to Killzone 2. However, this is a similar story to the first Killzone. It's flaws too, were unknown until the final moments of release to the general public. Will Killzone 2 be up there with the Metal Gear Solids and Final Fantasies as killer aps for the system? I don't think it will. I think it will rest comfortablyu with an 85 or 86 metacritic score, which is not a bad thing. However, I believe whole heartedly that Resistance 2 is your real killer ap FPS this year, and going forward into the future. Who knows. Maybe i'll be eating my own words this Fall. Only time will tell.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Munkeh111 said:
@ twestern, I was talking about PS3 exclusives only, as I said apart from Lair, how many have been poor technically

They exist because I know I've heard of them, I just don't pay enough attention to those games to really care to remember which ones.  :-p

Considering the situation was/is for both games (killzone 1 & 2 ) I have feeling 2 will at least be worth the wait compared to its rival.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network

I care very much. It is in my top 3 most looked forward to along with GT5 and GTA4. I quite enjoyed the first one, i thought it had a great story, and GOOD, but not great gameplay. Killzone Liberation, i hated.

But for some reason I'm really looking forward to it.

One of the perennial weaknesses of the FPS genre is a lack of story and scripting. The truly great FPSs - e.g. Half Life and Max Payne - fuse fantastic gameplay with memorable characters. The FPS is all about putting players into a life or death situation, which means we have to care about our player-character's life.

KZ2 may look astounding and play well, but if it doesn't have adequate scriptwriting and characterization, it will be just another FPS in a crowded market. Hopefully the KZ2 team will deliver...

Yes

2 killzone threads at once? snazzy.