By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - killzone 2 worth the wait?

I think there is too much hype behind the game for it to deliver in the way people hope it will, but I could be wrong. History is showing us that Killzone 2 will match or barely exceed Killzone in terms of quality. The situations are the same. Coming up on the original Killzone, early builds were looking good, both gameplay wise and graphics wise. The problem is that it's always been labeled a Halo Killer, and that is damn near unachievable. Halo isn't Halo simply because of the quality of gameplay. Halo is Halo because of it's massive popularity, which Killzone 2 can not simply match. With that all being said, I believe Sony has learned from their past mistakes with this franchise and will make sure the quality is there before release. I still think Resistance 2 will wipe the floor with it however. Insomniac is no joke, and until they prove otherwise Guerilla is a joke.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
I think there is too much hype behind the game for it to deliver in the way people hope it will, but I could be wrong. History is showing us that Killzone 2 will match or barely exceed Killzone in terms of quality. The situations are the same. Coming up on the original Killzone, early builds were looking good, both gameplay wise and graphics wise. The problem is that it's always been labeled a Halo Killer, and that is damn near unachievable. Halo isn't Halo simply because of the quality of gameplay. Halo is Halo because of it's massive popularity, which Killzone 2 can not simply match. With that all being said, I believe Sony has learned from their past mistakes with this franchise and will make sure the quality is there before release. I still think Resistance 2 will wipe the floor with it however. Insomniac is no joke, and until they prove otherwise Guerilla is a joke.

Guerilla made the excellent Killzone Liberation, which although only average reviews from many places, was brilliant, one of the best PSP games to date. In what way has history shown us that Killzone 2 will barely exceed Killzone in terms of quality, if it is not good, then Sony will have waited a lot of money, and I think they have invested the money so that it will be good. Why does everyone just assume it will be bad?

I'm so mad I missed out on the pre-order from amazon today. Now I have to wait for them to put the option back up.

MikeB said:
From what I've seen so far, looks awesome!

Haven't played Killzone 1, but I did follow the full story at Youtube and it's not dissapointing. Reading the reviews most criticism seem to be easily overcome, the technical issues should not apply to a PS3 version, the gameplay looks awesome judging from live footage!

Those issues shouldn't apply if they're making a PS2 version for the PS3, but they're not.  They're still making a PS3 game trying to push the PS3 as hard as they can last I checked so those technical issues are still very much a possible problem.

I'm not saying they are going to have those same problems, I don't have a clue if they are until I see the game, but saying those issues are easy to get past is silly. 

KZ 2 could be very good, or it could be seriously underwhelming, there's no middle ground (at least for me). So far, I'm leaning on really good just for the sheer budget and size of the project and the fact that I realized what a good game the first one could have been, but I'm hoping not to be disappointed when the first demo will be up for testing!

Around the Network
twesterm said:
MikeB said:

Haven't played Killzone 1, but I did follow the full story at Youtube and it's not dissapointing. Reading the reviews most criticism seem to be easily overcome, the technical issues should not apply to a PS3 version, the gameplay looks awesome judging from live footage!

Those issues shouldn't apply if they're making a PS2 version for the PS3, but they're not.  They're still making a PS3 game trying to push the PS3 as hard as they can last I checked so those technical issues are still very much a possible problem.

I'm not saying they are going to have those same problems, I don't have a clue if they are until I see the game, but saying those issues are easy to get past is silly. 

They have been working on it for so long, with the highest budget for a game ever, working with other sony studios, they having the backing of the whole PlayStation division, I think that they will get this game to work well. Only one game has had problems when it has been exclusive for the PS3, and that was Lair, and the problems were mostly design problems

Munkeh111 said:

They have been working on it for so long, with the highest budget for a game ever, working with other sony studios, they having the backing of the whole PlayStation division, I think that they will get this game to work well. Only one game has had problems when it has been exclusive for the PS3, and that was Lair, and the problems were mostly design problem

It really depends on what you mean by "problems" ... if you're only talking about performance issues than you may be correct.

When it comes to games being very pretty and very bad at the same time the PS3 has had quite a few. One of the most noteable games was Genji: Days of the Blade which was Published by Sony and Hyped by PS3 fans until it was released; when Genji turned out to be one of the most beatifully polished turds in the PS3's launch line-up suddenly no one would admit to claiming that it's beauty ensured that it was going to be a great game. 

HappySqurriel said:
Munkeh111 said:

They have been working on it for so long, with the highest budget for a game ever, working with other sony studios, they having the backing of the whole PlayStation division, I think that they will get this game to work well. Only one game has had problems when it has been exclusive for the PS3, and that was Lair, and the problems were mostly design problem

It really depends on what you mean by "problems" ... if you're only talking about performance issues than you may be correct.

When it comes to games being very pretty and very bad at the same time the PS3 has had quite a few. One of the most noteable games was Genji: Days of the Blade which was Published by Sony and Hyped by PS3 fans until it was released; when Genji turned out to be one of the most beatifully polished turds in the PS3's launch line-up suddenly no one would admit to claiming that it's beauty ensured that it was going to be a great game.

People hyped Genji?  Lol! 

I downloaded the demo after I got my ps3, and thought it both looked and played like crap. 

See my signature.

Mark my words, this will not be above the hype, and it'll fall flat on it's face. It's another Lair in the making. The gameplay looks slow and clunky with nothing to pull it apart from other already well established shooters. The visuals, while techinically impressive have absolutely zero art-style or originality to them. Visually speaking, it looks boring and very bland.

I don't see at all how people can be impressed by the videos of this, it looks incredibly underwhelming. Before you put your flame hats on to get me, yes you can tell these kind of things from videos so don't give me that garbage if you were about to bash your keyboard in disgust.

Munkeh111 said:
twesterm said:
MikeB said:

Those issues shouldn't apply if they're making a PS2 version for the PS3, but they're not. They're still making a PS3 game trying to push the PS3 as hard as they can last I checked so those technical issues are still very much a possible problem.

They have been working on it for so long, with the highest budget for a game ever, working with other sony studios, they having the backing of the whole PlayStation division, I think that they will get this game to work well. Only one game has had problems when it has been exclusive for the PS3, and that was Lair, and the problems were mostly design problems

It is true that money can save a failing game but it doesn't fix problems. They may have a lot of support but shoddy level design (shortcuts, not well tested or thought out) will always be shoddy level design, bad or uninspired art will always be bad or uninspired art, and bad tools will always be bad tools. I'm not saying KZ2 has or will have any of these, I'm just saying money doesn't fix everything.

For all we know it could be one giant clusterfuck of people scrambling to get this game together. They might have a few levels out sourced to some random studio in Canada, multiplayer could be being made at a completely different studio in LA, art they don't want to do could be being made in China and when they all come together they might not work that well. Once again, not saying this is what is happening but money allows you to do that type of thing when you're wanting to save a failing game or just get a game out the door and that is a very real possibility.

-edit-

And Lair wasn't the only PS3 game with problems.  There have been many PS3 games with technical problems, just Lair was one of the only insane hype PS3 domination starts with x game games that seemed to have glaring technical problems.