By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you still buying physical media?

Downloading media outside of free mediums like music on your computer (free as in it can be replaced, saved, copied at any time) is a far cry from a downloadable game that could only be played on your console that you download it on and should anything happen to your console you're dependent on the company or their web services still being around to fix it. It's one less degree of ownership, you don't actually buy a product so much as you rent it.

Around the Network

I have physical media, but I don't buy it anymore. I have NEVER bought a CD, and with Netflix, I have any movie I want at my fingertips. (they should pay me for that statement)

LPs, CDs, DVDs - I bought hundreds of them in my life.

I will continue to buy CDs until this medium dies. Then I will either despair or return to the medium that refuses to die: vinyl.

I almost stopped buying DVDs as I've got all movies I ever wanted (earliest are Chaplin shorts from 1915, latest for the moment is Ratatouille) and as I've nearly completely lost interest in modern cinema.

I have really been actively buying CDs, but if there's an artist I really like, I'd go out and buy her CD and then rip them into high quality MP3 (320kbps), MP3 format is small enough to keep it on your harddrive for a long period of them.

Movies aren't, That's why I still buy DVDs (for movies I really like, I will buy them on Blu-Ray). Until we get harddrives than can store over 10,000 moves for cheap, I don't think I'm buying this whole "DL movies will take over".

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

i actually like owning discs if that's what you mean.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Around the Network

I like having phisically what I have bought .I dont want to have lots of hard drives around with labels of what its inside .Lacks personality and cant lend them .

I like the whole feeling of having a collection. So I guess I'd rather buy discs.

ya I do. Blu-ray Movies, Cds, and dvds

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I'm actually considering joining Steam as I have no problems with digital downloads and their service looks pretty good. I'm really hoping that the next generation of consoles have the same thing for all of their games.

Here is the thing--Even here on an Internet Forum, the majority would rather have physical media...If that's the case, how much more are non-computer, non-internet, non-techy's going to want physical media?

If anybody would be gung ho for downloaded media--it would be forum junkies like us--but we're not...that just shows that the vast majority of "non" internet people will DEFINITELY want physical media.

Physical media is definitely here to stay as the "main" (not only) for at least another 8-10 years, plenty of time for a healthy life cycle for blu-ray.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450