By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you still buying physical media?

Actual PC DVDs don't make much sense to me anymore. They can get damaged. And with Steam, you can download your game onto any computer with internet access, without having to worry if you brought your disc with...this is great for friends that come to visit and want to play a game together, LAN parties where one person doesn't own the game, so he can quick buy it at 1 am and play within the hour, etc.

Plus with most PC DVD games, you need to insert the disc to play the game.  And that's just tedious and unneccessary, when it's definitely possible to do without using the disc.  Yet so many games still require it.

And you could always use Steam to burn DVD backups if you really do worry about such things.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
DragonLord said:
I love physical media....I COULD download only, but don't want to. I enjoy collecting stuff...I want it on my shelf. I even buy my music cd's. Not only do I want the physical case for my collection, but I prefer to support the developer/artists/etc.
Here is one of my gaming shelves (the modern one)...have another for old school games (playstation 2, Sega Genesis, etc.) and another for old school dvd's and VHS.

Same here.  I like collecting, and I like supporting developers, artists, etc. 

The life of young musician can be tough.  Luckily, I'm not going down that road just yet.  

I fear the day when your only option is to download a videogame.

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

BenKenobi88 said:

Actual PC DVDs don't make much sense to me anymore. They can get damaged. And with Steam, you can download your game onto any computer with internet access, without having to worry if you brought your disc with...this is great for friends that come to visit and want to play a game together, LAN parties where one person doesn't own the game, so he can quick buy it at 1 am and play within the hour, etc.

Plus with most PC DVD games, you need to insert the disc to play the game. And that's just tedious and unneccessary, when it's definitely possible to do without using the disc. Yet so many games still require it.

And you could always use Steam to burn DVD backups if you really do worry about such things.

But I'm one of those who like having the box, the manual, etc.  Maybe that's why I'm a sucker for most collector's editions. 

I guess I'm probably just like Calvin's dad. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I love the way things look on my shelves I love to be able to watch my collections grow.

Around the Network

I like something more tangeble than a download. I buy a dvd maybe once every month and I usually buy at least one Cd every week

I say I like having the box...and it is nice to have special collector edition items...but in the end, those things just get stored on a shelf, away from my attention...it's pointless to me. The game is what's important to me, and it's much easier and more streamlined to download the game and never have to worry about losing or damaging the disc.

What do you do if in 10 years your COD4 disc gets scratched and becomes unusable? Granted the game will only be $10 then, but you still have to go out and buy another copy.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

My cousin used to do the buying weekly thing which is why he had such a nice collection but after a while I think he just found to be a waste of money heh. For PC gamers I would think digital download like steam would be the way to go especially nice most if not all PC gamers typically know how to get online. I have to disagree about being tight on money not being a good excuse to pirate. If I had tons of money why the hell would I pirate LOL. Would just be selfish after that. Thing is if I was unable to to pirate then I wouldn't. I pirated on the xbox but don't on the 360 because I want to play on xbox live. Again if I couldn't pirate then I gues I would get it legit or quite frankly not at all.

BenKenobi88 said:
I say I like having the box...and it is nice to have special collector edition items...but in the end, those things just get stored on a shelf, away from my attention...it's pointless to me. The game is what's important to me, and it's much easier and more streamlined to download the game and never have to worry about losing or damaging the disc.

What do you do if in 10 years your COD4 disc gets scratched and becomes unusable? Granted the game will only be $10 then, but you still have to go out and buy another copy.

You do know that If you buy the physical media for a game using steam, you could still download it even If you lost the CD right?
Buying physical media that has steam is win-win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Yeah I bought the physical copy of the PC Orange Box. Apparently I was the only one but still.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!