By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you still buying physical media?

Another question entirely is whether or not your downloads are legal?
(mine are unless I cannot buy it)

Around the Network

Pretty much only games for me... Everything else is downloaded through one method or another.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Sorry for the confusion guess I shouldn't have brought in the pirate part since it seems to be derailing the thread. Even without pirating due to money woes I would still only buy video games. For music I would go the Itunes way since I just especific songs rather then a whole album to save money etc. For movies I would rent since I am not the type to want to see a movie over and over again.

I never want a gaming industry without physical media.

I am very old-fashioned when it comes to this...

I have a lot of CD's and I really need physical discs. Even when I download some songs, I burn them on CD, even though I almost never use CD's anymore, I listen to my music in itunes or on my ipod.

It's not that I don't want to download illegally, I was using napster when they were big to get some songs I didn't have. (And to burn them on CD, of course!)

Probably I am even worse with games, I haven't downloaded any game on Virtual Console yet, mostly because I want to have those games physically, so I prefer buying used ones. But I have to mention that I own most of the classic games anyway.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

I buy everything via physical media. The only thing I've downloaded so far is the Orange Box via Steam.

Yes, I do still buy CDs, partly because I don't like the sound quality degradation that comes with MP3s, and partly because I like having a hard copy around, whether it's to transfer the music to multiple devices, or to look at the book.

I typically watch movies with friends, and the one friend has Netflix. So we watch a couple movies a week, it doesn't cost much.

I'm tight on money too, that's not really a good excuse for pirating...if you're using a computer you're not tight enough of money that you can't rent movies. It's just not considered a worthy expense for many pirates.

The only movies I pirate are typically theater or screener rips, because my friends might have missed out on a movie that is now out of theaters, but not on DVD yet. Sometimes the wait is just too much, so I don't care. Most of the time I wait for the official DVD and rent it for the best quality though.

Games I never pirate.  As far as physical media...I bought Bioshock at Circuit City because it was $40 instead of $50 on day 1...otherwise all my PC games have been off Steam for the past year.  Of course Wii and DS games are physical copies.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Heck yeah. Until you can resell digital downloads on the secondary market or buy them used (i.e. never), I'll never stop buying physical media.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I love physical media....I COULD download only, but don't want to. I enjoy collecting stuff...I want it on my shelf. I even buy my music cd's. Not only do I want the physical case for my collection, but I prefer to support the developer/artists/etc.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Girl Gamer Elite said:
I never want a gaming industry without physical media.

Neither do I... Damn, stop talking about such things, this is like a nightmare!

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)