By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Walmart sides with Blu-ray

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873029-7.html

"Wal-Mart announced Friday morning that it, too, has chosen a side in the battle for high-definition video supremacy: by June it will only stock Blu-ray Disc players."

With the rumours about Toshiba giving up soon I think it is safe to say the format war is now over. 

Around the Network

Sony domination for 20th time this week? Wow, where is Crazzyman?

I am shocked how quickly the Warner decision killed HD-DVD. Whatever Sony paid Warner to switch, it looks like a bargain now.

Wow, that's great news!

Anything on whether this will carry over to ASDAs?

Asda already seem to be showing a preference for Blu-ray as they are put on display where the customer can easily see them, but the HD-DVD's are on the bottom shelf where they go unnoticed (in my local one anyway)

Around the Network

Well ok that DEFINITELY puts an end to HD-DVD. So, how long before Toshiba announces defeat?

WiiStation360 said:
I am shocked how quickly the Warner decision killed HD-DVD. Whatever Sony paid Warner to switch, it looks like a bargain now.

Warners is the biggest seller of DVDs etc. compared to other studios - you could imagine them as representing the biggest shareholder.  So when they decided that wasn't the same as Universal or Paramount, it was a major blow likely to swing the rest of the industry, which it has.

Oh and those wondering where Crazzyman is, I think he probably fainted due to an excess of good news...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I know. I heard it on the radio...
they said that they would drop the hd dvds in june....

i really feel bad for toshiba for spending all that money to get nothing

and losing the dvd
war

I suspect that as the format war is brought to a conclusion that ps3 hardware sales will start getting a significant boost.

Good week for sony fans.