By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Dark Souls II will sell great?

Tagged games:

Soriku said:
shikamaru317 said:

Nah, the difficulty is too high for it to ever sell great, most casual gamers don't like games that they can't beat, so that's a huge demographic lost right there. It will sell quite well for a niche game though.

Difficulty didn't stop Dark Souls from selling 2.3 mil+.

But maybe difficulty stopped it from selling 8 mil+!

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Wright said:
Soriku said:
shikamaru317 said:

Nah, the difficulty is too high for it to ever sell great, most casual gamers don't like games that they can't beat, so that's a huge demographic lost right there. It will sell quite well for a niche game though.

Difficulty didn't stop Dark Souls from selling 2.3 mil+.

But maybe difficulty stopped it from selling 8 mil+!

Yeah, that's what I meant. 2.3m really isn't that good for a mainstream game, but for a niche game it's very good. The developers have carved out a niche for themselves with hardcore gamers who like a challenge and the series should be quite profitable for them, but it's never going to sell as well as the more mainstream RPG's like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, and Final Fantasy.

I have the impression that the Dark Souls clientele keeps expanding. Once, it was an unknown game, limited to Japan only. Soon - and with a procedure that will need much space to cover in text - it spread with great speed. All in all, I believe Dark Souls 2 will top its predecessor's sales.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

About 10 -15% less than dark souls numbers.

I see no reason why Dark Souls 2 wouldn´t sell at least as much as Dark Souls (the developer/publisher is happy with DS numbers), but it´ll probably surpass it, by how much is anyone´s guess, but I think it will, especially now they´ve got a better handle of PC development and the series has more exposure.

I´m still hoping for a PS4/X1 version.

It will sell really well but won't have the legs of Dark Souls, however, once they port it to PS4/XB1 and it will have the most sales in the franchise.

Around the Network

You guys saw the pre-orders chart? I was really surprised to see those numbers and we're in December still. My bet is 3,5M all time sales across all platforms. The game is becoming more and more popular, not a niche any longer.