By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS sales pass 2m in UK.

Rogerioandrade said:
HaHa... interesting. People just can´t read positive news about Nintendo

i wonder if this article was about PS4 or Ps Vita, we would not see so many arguments about overtracking..

Get over it, guys, the device sold more than 2 million in U.K. and this is good news for this struggling market, like it or not.

Good heavens, what a strange post.  

Around the Network

It's not too surprising, VGC has shown very high 3DS sales in the UK even while barely any games were charting.  It didn't really add up.  Though the scale of the overtracking suggests this has been an issue for more than just this year.  If not, then it would encompass 76% of sales VGC lists for the year.

Although I think VGC had it even higher before the adjustment made after NPD numbers came out.  The original EU numbers for the week ending Nov 30th were 338k.  The current ones are 225k.  If the UK had the same share for both numbers, that means it would have changed from 61.9k to 41.2k.  It's almost remarkable to see long term numbers off by these amounts.

EDIT: Yeah, this overtracking goes back a long time.  Back on May 22, 2012 it was reported that the 3DS was approaching 1m and could hit it next month.  For the week ending May 26th, VGC already had it at 1.16 million.

EDIT2: Actually I wonder how this wasn't caught earlier.  Nintendo had shipped 10.22m 3DS units outside of Japan and the Americas at the end of September.  European numbers at that time were 9.47m.  I don't know if you can check historical "Rest of World" numbers, but they are currently 2.41m.  Even if half of that could be sales from Oct to now as well as South America, it still shows a significant overtrack.  Actually, the much more obvious part is the fact that WW numbers show only 175k on the shelves at the end of the quarter.  By October 5th, just 5 days after the 3DS had shipped 34.98m, VGC already has sell through at 35.03m.