By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - A PS4 equivalent rig for $500.00?

Stefl1504 said:
If you can get your fingers on some used parts (the casing and stuff like that) you should be able to make a PC that comes close to the PS4 in power, but you will never get that much graphical prowess out of the hardware than a PS4 does.

False. You know absolutely jack about hardware then if you're wanting to make a rash claim like that. 

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Muffin31190 said:
There is one thing that really cannot be bought for a reasonable price and that is the RAM on the PS4, people don't really know but that GDDR5 RAM is expensive as hell, you can find that type of ram only on graphics cards atm and those graphics cards are like $900 for like 4 gigs of GDDR5, and this is just the RAM an graphics cards were talking about.
So in short OP no you really cant get a PC that's close to the PS4 build for $500 dollars, Not saying I'm an Elitist but I have built my own PC so I do know a thing or two, at least about pricing and how everything works.

You might want to check out GPU prices again.  I see 4 GB GDDR5 GPU's for $250 on Newegg.

Besides, GDDR5 is not very good for general purpose computing making it uneccesary for a computer to have the entire RAM pool based on GDDR5 (which, by the way, is actually DDR3 with some tweaks).

IF you can find a 8gb GDDR5 Vidoe card that is $250 please link it to me, like I would be eternally greatful (not even joking), cuz I can't find itand Ive looked on Newegg and amazon and so far nothing :/

Maybe you can squeeze something similar for $600, not including OS.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Muffin31190 said:
Viper1 said:
Muffin31190 said:
There is one thing that really cannot be bought for a reasonable price and that is the RAM on the PS4, people don't really know but that GDDR5 RAM is expensive as hell, you can find that type of ram only on graphics cards atm and those graphics cards are like $900 for like 4 gigs of GDDR5, and this is just the RAM an graphics cards were talking about.
So in short OP no you really cant get a PC that's close to the PS4 build for $500 dollars, Not saying I'm an Elitist but I have built my own PC so I do know a thing or two, at least about pricing and how everything works.

You might want to check out GPU prices again.  I see 4 GB GDDR5 GPU's for $250 on Newegg.

Besides, GDDR5 is not very good for general purpose computing making it uneccesary for a computer to have the entire RAM pool based on GDDR5 (which, by the way, is actually DDR3 with some tweaks).

IF you can find a 8gb GDDR5 Vidoe card that is $250 please link it to me, like I would be eternally greatful (not even joking), cuz I can't find itand Ive looked on Newegg and amazon and so far nothing :/

You said 4 GB first.   And then I even noted that you don't need, in fact would be bad, to have your entire RAM pool be GDDR5. 

As for an 8GB GDDR5 video card, you can't get that in a standard consumer product anyway.  Anything over 6 GB is professional grade as it's practically useless for video gaming at current resolutions.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Muffin31190 said:
Viper1 said:
Muffin31190 said:

You said 4 GB first.   And then I even noted that you don't need, in fact would be bad, to have your entire RAM pool be GDDR5. 

As for an 8GB GDDR5 video card, you can't get that in a standard consumer product anyway.  Anything over 6 GB is professional grade as it's practically useless for video gaming at current resolutions.

Whoops blarg I meant 8 gigs in the original post so my mistake sorry about that, nvm then my hopes and dreams are destroyed by my own excitment.
:C
Too put it simply though I wasnt just going to use the Graphics card just for normal gaming, and it wouldn't have been my entire RAM pool.
Anyways sry again for misleading with my original post goin to fix that.

Around the Network
Muffin31190 said:

Whoops blarg I meant 8 gigs in the original post so my mistake sorry about that, nvm then my hopes and dreams are destroyed by my own excitment.
Too put it simply though I wasnt just going to use the Graphics card just for normal gaming, and it wouldn't have been my entire RAM pool.

Not a problem.

If you intended to do profressional work with it, then the cost should be factored into a CBA and eventually written off for taxes (if you can where you live).   But you also have to be careful which you choose: consumer model or professional grade...because the professional grade GPU's are actually very poor gaming GPU's. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Augluae said:
I even wonder if a domestic gamer PC, with a super powerful SLI configuration, with games set on Ultra, best AA, mods and Downsampled from higher resolution can achieve what Killzone is doing as of now.

Easily.

The comparison is a bit off. PS4 costs more than $400 to make and assemble and has discounts on every part because of mass production, you buy parts where the stores want to make money with their products so of course it is close to impossible to reach it currently.
You should wait until AMD releases their new APU generations which should be close on par with PS4 and perhaps go for steam-os.
But who buys systems for specs?!

Viper1 said:
Muffin31190 said:

Not a problem.

If you intended to do profressional work with it, then the cost should be factored into a CBA and eventually written off for taxes (if you can where you live).   But you also have to be careful which you choose: consumer model or professional grade...because the professional grade GPU's are actually very poor gaming GPU's. 

This is gettin off topic so ill just comment with you now.

OT I still dont think you can get PS4 quality games for around $500, maybe in a couple of years but not as of now.

walsufnir said:
The comparison is a bit off. PS4 costs more than $400 to make and assemble and has discounts on every part because of mass production, you buy parts where the stores want to make money with their products so of course it is close to impossible to reach it currently.
You should wait until AMD releases their new APU generations which should be close on par with PS4 and perhaps go for steam-os.
But who buys systems for specs?!

Sill I heard it costs roughly $470 to make I believe, but I found an Interesting article about this exact comparison.