By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - A PS4 equivalent rig for $500.00?

czecherychestnut said:

Besides, though I have both a gaming PC and a console, I play the console more because I don't have to stuff around with driver updates every time a new game comes out, and for the console exclusives.

I deal with a driver update once every few months.   I deal with game updates every time I start my console.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:
walsufnir said

Yes but the costs sum up with what I wrote in my post. The comparison is rather invalid.

Again, people should wait for future APU releases from AMD and will have a better PS4.

I think the point was that as a consumer, you're only spending 400$. It's not 'how close can we get to the price equivalent of ps4', it's 'how close can you get to the pricetag'.

This would be for the purpose of showing what's a better value.

Yes, sure. It's the same discussion as with every new gen. But "value" is of course still opinion. Thing is, as long as PS4 keeps its price, the more pc-components become cheaper. But generally the decision whether buying console or PC should not be decided on specs but on games in the first place. Why should you spend $1000 if you can't play Uncharted x or Halo x?

Yeah but then you're throwing in quite a bunch of incalculable variables which would only lead to arguments in the end. Specs are just a more scientific approach.

The whole topic itself is incalculable because you don't know the exact costs of PS4 and especially you can't build a system with GDDR5-Ram. And you also can't compare the performance of a pc system with a PS4 directly.

I don't need to build a system with GDDR-5 coded to the metal bullshit to know that a $500 PC will benchmark better than the PS4, synthetic or real, measured using the only thing that matters - FPS. I also like how I can do other things with my PC that PS4 will never do, so cost comparison is stupid because the value of the PC is a lot more than a PS4 unless you don't do anything except play games, but even then I'm buying stuff off steam for $5 and I pay $0/month for gaming.

Also, typical console cinema-game corrider shooter exclusives are overrated, and I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything when the gameplay has actually gone backwards since 1999. Call me when there's a console exclusive that has the gameplay of quake, unreal tournament, starcraft, or LoL, oh wait you can't do that with shitstick controllers, my bad.

I don't want to game regularly on a $5,000 PC gaming rig, much less a $500 one.

If you're in the same boat, no PC argument holds water.

It's all personal preference. That said, argue on people; you're going to anyway.

And yes; I have more games on PC than any other platform over 30 plus years of gaming and I've probably built more PCs than most people on VGC.

"Add $100 for a Windows license."

As soon as we can away from this the better for us users

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Pemalite said:

Zekkyou said:

Consoles get a fair bit more out of their specs than PC's do.

Won't be true for much longer.

I wonder if it's even true now.

I mean if you look at the modern consoles, they aren't pure gaming consoles anymore, they're trying to emulate PCs.

The Xbones various multitasking setup, and the PS4's always running share button stuff are going to be taking up a fair percetage of resources.

With all the layers of social bullshit added that has to always be running because unlike PC's they want to streamline acessability, i'd be interested to actually see benchmark tests.

Consoles are becoming bloatware PCs without an uninstall option.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Pemalite said:

Zekkyou said:

The Xbones various multitasking setup, and the PS4's always running share button stuff are going to be taking up a fair percetage of resources.

The share button and other functionality of the PS4 is dealt with the secondary processor of the ARM CPU along with it's extra 256MB of DDR3 DRAM. 

Kasz216 said:
Pemalite said:

Zekkyou said:

I wonder if it's even true now.

I mean if you look at the modern consoles, they aren't pure gaming consoles anymore, they're trying to emulate PCs.

With all the layers of social bullshit added that has to always be running because unlike PC's they want to streamline acessability, i'd be interested to actually see benchmark tests.

Consoles are becoming bloatware PCs without an uninstall option.

It is and will be true for some games, it's still early days yet anyway.
The exclusive AAA developers will build their games closer to the metal, generally if you're using a 3rd party engine such as Frostbite, Unreal or CryEngine you will be interfacing with the high-level API initially, eventually the low level one. (Even via a patch.)

This is the Road the PC is heading down with Mantle, all games today interface with the High Level API (Direct X) and then the major games/game engines will interface with the low level one. (Mantle)
So the "Console advantage" will dissapear for games using cross platform game engines.

But those exclusive AAA games will keep amazing the masses.

The extra bloat that consoles have this next generation won't become a limiter untill a couple of years on, that 8Gb of Ram has already been shaven by 2-3Gb of memory for the OS and other tasks, leaving a paltry 5-6Gb for the Game.
If we put it into perspective, Battlefield 4 uses 2.9Gb of GDDR5 Ram and 2.5Gb of System Ram on my PC, which is borderline for the consoles, that's not accounting for the extra data that Windows caches into Ram to make life more responsive. (I have 32Gb of the stuff, cache away I say!)

On the flip side, we can assume that Microsoft and Sony will reduce their OS hardware foot print as time goes on, much akin to Microsoft and Sony freeing up more Ram for developers last generation by making their Operating Systems leaner.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Dont forget after all this the xbone and a pc is stuck with directx which gives an immediate performance drop compared to opengl.
These Steam machines made around opengl wil make PC gaming even faster using opengl. Still find it astonishing we are still using such such a bloated api like directx

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

2 or 3 years down you will be able to get a 500$ pc that will match ps4. But then 2 more years later you have the ps5.. If your going to be a pc gamer, then buying the right motherboard is really important and the initial investment will always be much higher than buying a console. Hower once you have the right components, you could switch out your gpu and so on for relatively low cost.

Irs actually going to be very easy to do this.
PS4 is made using chips for mobile devices such as tablets and phones. It is not an 8 core desktop PC.

You are asking the right question but in the completely wrong area of the internet. you will get a lot of uneducated responses from Sony fans who know nothing of tech or how it works. Some examples

"Impossible for now.

To match the PS4 power, which is an optimized console, you would need an even better configuration.

And has of now the same graphic card or SLI graphic cards with up to 8 GDDR5 memory would cost way way more than 500$"

This person doesn't know what they are talking about. They don't even know what system memory is, how it works, or that a current PC like mine can have 32gigs of RAM, not including the graphics card, that blows away the tiny 8gigs in PS4.

Another example of not knowing what they are talking about

"Not really. Matching the performance of launch games shouldn't cost too much over $400, but you're going to need to upgrade it very often to stay on pace with the PS4."

Now this one is really sad. This person is actually under the impression that while the tech in a PS4 and a PC are the same, one will improve over time, yet the other will stay stagnant.

For 500.00 I could build an 8core PC with 1TB HDD, 3 gig graphics card, 32gigs RAM, that the PS4 would never touch.

Lets not forget the facts of the matter. To run BF4 the most they ask for is a quad core PC. Now the PS4 version is inferior to the PC version yet its running on twice as many cores. Why? Because as stated those cores were designed for tablets, not desktops. 8gigs of RAM sounds good til you see that PCs are running on 4 times that.

I am sure there are others like me here that know enough to help you, but you are going to get a lot of misinformed information from people who don't know tech and only know what Sony said and believe anything they say.