By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Microsoft up to something?

madskillz said:
libellule said:
To starcraft,
Possible,
it makes sense
I suppose GDC will help

To madskillz,
so you assume MS is not enought resplenish stock TO create the demand ?
Considering how the PS3 "close" in term of content/price of the Xbox360, it is a dangerouns way to follow ...

They want to sell off their old stock ... and roll out the newer, more reliable models AND create a demand for them. As I stated, it's hard in New Mexico to find a 360 on a retail shelf. That POC 40gb PS3? Not so much ... 

You disappoint me a little madskillz (expecting more intelligent stuff from you). Do you really believe MS is artificially creating demand, and making the X360 "hot", by decreasing the supply? For the Wii I could understand such arguments, but for MS this seems like a silly strategy. Also, the timing would seem a little awkward, to cut supply for the slowest season of the year. Could you elaborate on this, maybe I misunderstood you?

Btw, what more anecdotal evidence do you have about the X360 Pro being hard to find in your state, other than the Target store you visited the other day (the sample size there, for example only 4 PS3s seem very small and untrustworthy)?

Around the Network

BY the way I had mentioned this a while back on another thread but a friend of mine who is a manager of a gamespot said that there would be 360 shortages up to maybe March. Basically retailers where definetly aware of this. It is just a big goof by MS if you ask me.

Slimebeast said:

You disappoint me a little madskillz (expecting more intelligent stuff from you). Do you really believe MS is artificially creating demand, and making the X360 "hot", by decreasing the supply? For the Wii I could understand such arguments, but for MS this seems like a silly strategy. Also, the timing would seem a little awkward, to cut supply for the slowest season of the year. Could you elaborate on this, maybe I misunderstood you?

Btw, what more anecdotal evidence do you have about the X360 Pro being hard to find in your state, other than the Target store you visited the other day (the sample size there, for example only 4 PS3s seem very small and untrustworthy)?

You could always use iTrackr in your area to see where supplies stand at.

In my area, we have:

28% of stores have Premiums instock

0% have Elites instock

42% have Arcades instock

85% have Playstation 3 40GBs instock

8% have Wiis instock

See the difference there?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Slimebeast said:

You could always use iTrackr in your area to see where supplies stand at.

In my area, we have:

28% of stores have Premiums instock

0% have Elites instock

42% have Arcades instock

85% have Playstation 3 40GBs instock

8% have Wiis instock

See the difference there?

Yeah, 85% PS3 compared to 28% X360 Pro is a big difference. Although I don't have any idea on how much impact that has on sales. I mean, those who want a X360 Pro must "only" visit four stores to get one. Of course there will be potential buyers that get pissed off after being to two or three stores without finding one, and choose to wait. But will that effect cut 5-10% off sales, or even 20%? And what's the usual proportion of Elites from the total amount of X360s sold (if there was no supply issues)?

How do I use iTrackr? Not that I even live in the US, but it would be interesting to get a glimpse.

How many average consumers are going to goto 4 stores to buy 1 product, when a comparible product (PS2, PS3, ect) are there, waiting to be bought?

Better yet, when was the last time YOU went to 4 stores for 1 product?

Just goto www.itrackr.com, sign up with a legit email, and fake zip code for the region you want to track. They give you a store listing + if it's instock or not. It's not accurate in terms of always being in stock (ie, some people might see a Wii at store X, then it ends up being sold 12hrs before), but in general, it's always painted a good market picture.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
How many average consumers are going to goto 4 stores to buy 1 product, when a comparible product (PS2, PS3, ect) are there, waiting to be bought?

Better yet, when was the last time YOU went to 4 stores for 1 product?

Just goto www.itrackr.com, sign up with a legit email, and fake zip code for the region you want to track. They give you a store listing + if it's instock or not. It's not accurate in terms of always being in stock (ie, some people might see a Wii at store X, then it ends up being sold 12hrs before), but in general, it's always painted a good market picture.

Well, I though you would give an educated answer to that. I have no idea.

I wouldn't go to a fourth store. Not even a third, unless it was a product I really must have right away, such as a long awaited big game á la Oblivion. The timing of purchase of both my Xbox and X360 happened from impulse, so in both cases I'd postpone the purchase if the second store wasn't near the first I tried. Then of course I bought the Halo 3 version because the Premium was sold out in the first store.

Could you give me a fake zip from a big US state so I can sign up? A significant state, like New York, Texas or Cal.

Most console buyers decide on a system before they go to the store. I doubt many people in January go to a store looking to buy whatever console is in stock. If the one they want is not there, they just come back later. I can see them getting a different SKU of the same console, not a different console altogether.

Circuit city lets you check local store inventory online.

My closest 10 stores have:
Arcade: 2 of 10 stores
Premium: 1 of 10 stores
Elite: 0 of 10 stores

40GB: 7 of 10 stores
80GB: 0 of 10 stores

Slimebeast said:
madskillz said:
libellule said:
To starcraft,
Possible,
it makes sense
I suppose GDC will help

To madskillz,
so you assume MS is not enought resplenish stock TO create the demand ?
Considering how the PS3 "close" in term of content/price of the Xbox360, it is a dangerouns way to follow ...

They want to sell off their old stock ... and roll out the newer, more reliable models AND create a demand for them. As I stated, it's hard in New Mexico to find a 360 on a retail shelf. That POC 40gb PS3? Not so much ...

You disappoint me a little madskillz (expecting more intelligent stuff from you). Do you really believe MS is artificially creating demand, and making the X360 "hot", by decreasing the supply? For the Wii I could understand such arguments, but for MS this seems like a silly strategy. Also, the timing would seem a little awkward, to cut supply for the slowest season of the year. Could you elaborate on this, maybe I misunderstood you?

Btw, what more anecdotal evidence do you have about the X360 Pro being hard to find in your state, other than the Target store you visited the other day (the sample size there, for example only 4 PS3s seem very small and untrustworthy)?

Ha ha ha ... I have frequented 1 Target , a Wal-Mart and a Gamestop in the past week (Target and Wal-Mart like 3 times) and I have seen just one 360. Folks don't believe me, but the 40gb PS3s are aplenty. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of those POC.

Since the beginning of the year, I have seen a few Arcades, one Premium (without games) and a couple Halo 3 360s. I have yet to see a Wii at all, and a handful of PS3 80gbs. The 40gbs? Everywhere. Maybe the Southwest is a lousy spot to find a 360, but if you want a 40gb PS3, come hither ...

The Target you refer to usually has space for 8-10 PS3s and 8 to 10 360s. Wal-Mart is a Super and can carry roughly the same. I may hit Best Buy this weekend.

Seriously, I firmly believe the shortage to create demand theory. They are letting supplies drain, giving folks just two choices - a Wii or a PS3. And that can be as different as night and day. Consider this - the PS3 gains a yard or two on MS due to less 360s. Sony fanbots rejoice - then, MS rolls out the newer, more reliable 360s, all with HDMI and $50-$100 cheaper. And with the 360 in demand, this move literally ignites sales in NA to Wii-like levels. Will it be sustained? No ... but it will bury Sony until early summer.

You don't have to believe me, but from a financial standpoint, it makes perfect sense. Time it with the GTA IV launch - and MS's push and lies - yeah, the online multiplayer comment was hella low - but all plays right into MS's hands. Sony's response? It will be like getting bit by a Johnny two-step - the bamboo viper in Southeast Asia. Two steps after you get bit, you fall dead - well, within a few minutes. They will be completely blindsided.

Interesting theory madskillz. I would love if MS are thinking that way.. being sneaky and aggressive in a combo. Your arguments rely on a price drop coming soon, which is something I also firmly believe in.

I noticed you're calling the PS3 a POC. But a while ago I was under the impression that you were planning to purchase a PS3 quite soon. Did you change your mind, and why?

And what was the low online multiplayer GTA4 comment from MS? I missed that one.

I only really see one major problem with that though Mad, with so many rumors circulating that Sony's at break even or maybe even profitable, and seeing that demand is higher world wide for the PS3 than the 360, it would be a really bad move to "let on" about demand, Sony seems to be in a position where all they have to do is wait out MS's next move and slam back with another price drop of their own.

And you think the push for videogames is going to be huge this Summer, lets talk about Blu-ray releases lol. Sony has cut the cost's down by a massive amount in such a short time, MS must know they are in a position to cut cost's if necessary. Giving the playstation any chance in hell of "gaining yards" is just foolish. I'm not sure what they're current deal is with the premiums, but I'm not sure if the supply constraint is due to creating demand.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.