By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Toshiba to drop HD DVD in coming weeks

I bought the 360 HD-DVD add-on because I got like 8 free movies, including Season 1 of Heroes.

I don't regret it at all, especially if I get insane discounts from stores desperate to unload a dying format.

Maybe it'll be useless to me in 5 years but I think it was worth it.

And by the way I did this while predicting Blu-ray to win for sure.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I did the same thing with the 360 add on, which is a poor HDM solution compared to the PS3. But the money paid for the drive was more or less reimbursed by the 9 titles that came attached, including Transformers and Heroes. I'll probably pick up a bunch of titles when the fire sales start although all those Paramount and Universal movies will inevitably end up on BR-D. Since I still prefer using the PS3 as a media player, it becomes an issue of which releases I'm willing to wait for, and which I'll just buy for a dead end format today (at inventory dumping prices).

DVD is still going to be around for a quite a few more years. BR-D will not be replacing it immediately even now that it is foreseen to be the only HDM format. HD sets don't have majority market share yet and probably won't for years. The point to note is that DVD, both media and hardware have seen continual diminishing returns as prices continue to drop. HD players are more profitable, as are the movies themselves (to a lesser extent since many of them are being given away as promotional items as BOGOs, etc. and are being discounted by certain outlets more than they should be considering volume of sales).

Toshiba undoubtedly lost a lot of money by pushing HD DVD as the cheaper format. The sales did little to add to the format's market percentage while creating losses on every hardware unit sold. Even though they were being dumped for $99 over the holidays, they still cost considerably more than DVD players to manufacture. Only the upscale units were profitable and they represented a small percentage of overall set top boxes sold since the typical buyer chose the discounted HD DVD because presumably represented a better value than the pricier BR-D players (for those who don't care about playing video games).

@username2324:
yes, I'm a fool.
kick me when I'm down.

hopefully, i'm not much of a fool when it comes to more important things in life, but with HD players, I'm a fool.

I'll forever keep my HD DVD player to remind myself not to make a foolish mistake again. I'll read and study more next time. I will soon jump into the BR bandwagon.

I wasn't a fool for the movies though, only bought "transformers" and rented the rest.
I'll wait until Wal-Mart puts all the HDDVD movies in those boxes (3 for $1.99).

I hope Beowulf will be only $9.99 when it comes out.

Sony and their fans have had one hell of a rough couple of years, I guess they deserve some good news. I still doubt I'll be buying a PS3 soon (waiting on full BC to return, slim model, price drop), but the fact that Blu ray will likely become the next major format does make it a bit more appealing.

whoops double post :/

Around the Network

HD DVD still has a future:

1:HD DVD camp subsidies HD/Blu Players and gets a stalemate

2 Sells the format to XBOX2 or Wii2 and is like a large UMD for consoles/ PCs.

I thinks its movie days are numbered but who knows.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Blu-Ray wins...
That will boost PS3 sales :)

The only savour for HD-DVD now, is coupling with an existing console. All 360s coming with HD-DVD drive, or Ninty announcing a HD-DVD compatible Wii (that would stir people).

But its very unlikely. It all comes down to money now for Toshiba, and who *really* supports them.

I wonder if the Sony camp will be so happy when MS announce the BluRay drive add-on for the 360? The primary selling point of the PS3 vanishes overnight.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Fingers crossed, no more confusion would be excellent for the high definition consumer market.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ shams

How so, you'd still have to pay extra for the drive?