By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Will the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) succeed?

Some questions:

(In your opinion)

1. What were the main goals of the the ACA? 

2. Will those goals be met? 

3. Will it also bring unforseen (or forseen) consequences?

4. If you wish to, describe your political views in one sentence. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Some questions:

(In your opinion)

1. I'm not sure honestly.  Could be any number of goals.

2. If the answer is to make sure everyone is insured?  No.  That every Amreican citizen is insured?  No.  To lower healthcare costs per Capita?  No.  

Set up a basis for private care that we will be forced down because the current system sucks even worse?  Yes.   GIve a big payout to insurance companies?  Yes. 

3.  I think all the consequences have more or less been forseen, just not stated.

4.  Let people do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt others socially... economically, have clear simple regulations that prevent monopolies and unsafe practices, essentially to the point of where you can explain any regulation with a paragraph, that way it's near impossible to hide cronism.

I certainly think it can lower health care costs. One of the keys to costs are Uninsured Emergency Room patients. Hospitals *have* to take them if they have emergency rooms, whether they can pay or not. If more people can pay, more patients become profitable, fewer patients have to be price-gouged to cover for the others.

The key might come in the form of the medicaid expansions, really.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

It's kind of a silly system overall because it actually hurts people more than it does good. At least those who earn lower wages for a living. What choice do these people have? Go uninsured and pay a fee, or get insurance and spend money they don't have, sacrificing food on the table.

Honestly, since not paying the fee isn't technically a crime. I would go uninsured if I was in that position, however I do have insurance, but my mother is in this position. I see what Obama was aiming for, but the policies he put in place aren't very good.

The US pays almost DOUBLE per capita for healthcare than any other country. This is BEFORE you consider what we pay for our insurance.

And people going bankrupt/not paying their bills is the least of our worries. There are so many factors at play that drive costs up. And that isn't in the top 5.

To answer your questions.

1. Insure most of American citizens. People that get fucked by being born with congenital diseases will be able to get insured. Elderly don't get the brunt of insurances premiums. Theres quite a few really.
2. Maybe
3. Higher premiums. Possibly higher government spending. Now that people are "forced" to obtain insurance many people now realize they are covered by medicare. No joke. I've seen it. (I'm an ARNP). It may lead to an increase of family medicine practices as now people can actually go see a doctor instead of using the ER as one. This law is so complicated... it's so hard to tell. It's pure speculation right now.
4. I voted for Obama, but this is a band-aid on a gunshot wound. 

Around the Network

i remember another person who tried to do the most good for the most people. His name was Jesus, and because people couldn't see the good he was doing he had to endure crucifixion. shame shame shame America.

Possible but it is not what the population wanted though...

The ACA will never be fully implemented, for a number of reasons:

1) The administration are granting exceptions all over the place.

2) States will absolutely gut this bill. Many states have already rejected health care exchanges and Medicaid expansion. South Carolina and Georgia look like the first two states to nullify the bill... if they do, many more states will join, and enforcement of the law will be impossible.

3) The law was never capable of being fully implemented in the first place. 11,000 pages of regulations is simply not realistically enforceable.

---

As for your questions:

1) Main goal was to satisfy the lobbyists, and then to dress it up in a way that the people would love it. Same with just about any law ever.

2) Partially. The bill certainly satisfied the lobbyists, but the political class is having a hard time getting the population to swallow this pill.

3) It will reduce the quantity and quality of healthcare in the United States, while forcing up average costs for consumers. Millions will be forced down into part-time work, and millions more will go unemployed completely or lose their employment health coverage.

Another truly unintended consequence of this bill is that thanks to that Supreme Court ruling, the Congress now has new powers that it never knew it had before: the ability to tax the absence of an event.

4) The state is the farmer, and we are the cows.

ACA is just another part of Obama's grand plan to create more Libertarians than Ron Paul did.

sc94597 said:

Some questions:

(In your opinion)

1. Government control and more regulation of healthcare.  Their current reach didn't satisfy the corporatacracy.

2. Sadly, yes.

3. Certainly yes.  Very few government programs exist without negative unforeseen consequences.  Or were they unforeseen?

4. I'm a Libertarian.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

No, but it wasn't designed to succeed... it was designed to fail and to basically force everyone into Medicare for all, aka "single-payer." Except it's going to backfire spectacularly in all the liberals' faces that believe government-run healthcare is the ideal solution for the US healthcare system.

They can't even get a website to function properly, and you expect them to be able to handle 1/6th of the US economy without a hitch?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.