By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why didn't sackboy become bigger?

IMHO. It was the Playstation brand. Or should I say the fans that bought into it. It skews primarily 18-35 and the game although ambitious was not suited for the audience that brand attracts. The same could be said for many newer IP's from Sony that are geared to attract Nintendo's userbase.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Around the Network
Figgycal said:
code.samurai said:
Fusioncode said:
code.samurai said:

As a character design, Sackboy is too generic. I've asked people, who have not played the game, what they thought of the character and they they said he's ugly. The character design must have personality even outside of context, and Sackboy just fails at that. He lacks interesting color or any distinguishing quirk or feature that separates him from common toys. Customisability just don't cut it to be a proper mascot.

The LBP games themselves, while interesting when you've actually played them, feels really floaty. I'm comparing its play style to Mario of course, the biggest platformer game out there. I wish they did not rely too much on generic physics feel of the game, but instead fine tuned the game to make it feel better than real world physics like what most platformer games do.

He's supposed to look generic, he's meant to be a blank slate perfectly customizable for anybody. You create your own sackboy using LBP. 

Edit: Pic not showing up.

lol.  The OP asked why Sackboy didn't become a mascot.  To be a mascot, you have to have a solid character design right off the bat.   That is why Sackboy didn't become a mascot.  His base design might look cute when animated, but to everyone who doesn't know which game he's in, he looks like a crappy toy.

I may have some gaps in my explanation, I often fail to explain everything because I think details may be self-explanatory by reading between the lines.  So I tend to gloss over the obvious, even though they might not be so obvious.  Ask away.

Says who? Master Chief became a mascot and he's as bland as you can get.

Bland to people who plays too much futuristic shooters.  He looks cool as a toy, don't kid yourself.  I even picked that helmet in XCOM because it looks cool.

Off-Topic:  Also if the Killzone mask was the main character of killzone, he would be a badass mascot for Sony.  Too bad the writers wrote up those lame ass heroes.  That mask design is awesome!

Probably lack of proper marketing. LBP as a series did well, received great reviews and sold pretty good to be a new IP. Sackboy not too much. I consider Sackboy one of Sony's most well known mascots. But i've seen Drake and Cole get a lot more marketing than Sackboy. Sony should've pushed the franchise a bit more after LBP 1 was released, i felt like LBP 2 was not hyped at all due to lack of proper marketing and ended up selling a lot less than LBP 1.

Because the game is a joke because of its physics and all games he is in are sub-par.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

ninetailschris said:
 all games he is in are sub-par.

Aside from Karting, LBP is critically acclaimed and the highest rated 2D platformer according to metacritic of the 7th generation.

Around the Network

its the wrong age for icons. mario born today wouldnt be huge too.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

KylieDog said:
Because Sackboy and his world was aimed at kids while the nature of his 'game' and creating complex levels was not.

This comment makes the most sense in this whole thread.

curl-6 said:
Mensrea said:
curl-6 said:
I've only played Little Big Planet 1, but the game itself just wasn't good enough to propel its lead to mascot status.

Really? I found it absolutely refreshing. The platforming is floaty, but the single player is well designed, and the sheer scope and variety in the community kept me at it for hundreds of hours.

For me, a platformer lives or dies on the strengths of its physics, and LBP just felt too loose.

In LBP2 the jump height is the same, but feels as if there's a little more weight to the jumps.  LBP Vita has even more weight added to the jumps.  Both games you can tap the jump button a shorter period of time to get a different jump, so short hop, longer jump, etc. 

This isn't directed towards anyone, because I don't know who does or not, but people who bash LBP1 jumping physics but shower praise over New Super Mario Bros Wii are hypocrites.  New Super Mario Wii jumping physics are floaty as all hell.

I love sackboy and LBP. Really hoping to play more LBP in the future. It's a great series.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

ninetailschris said:
Because the game is a joke because of its physics and all games he is in are sub-par.

Tone "it" down, will you? No one is attacking your beloved Mario.

Sackboy is big enough. He doesn't need to sell 20 million before he gets the recognition he deserves.