By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Plague of the Christmas Crusaders

I hate Christmas. Well, I hate the holiday season. From American Thanksgiving right to the end of the year, I am, without exception, miserable.

I never used to be like this. Like pretty much every kid and teen in the first world, I used to love Christmas. I used to stay up all night reading Animorphs books or playing videogames because I wanted to wake up and open presents, followed by a day of family companionship and the one day a year where we all got along. Christmas used to be special for me. Now, it's just a burden and an emotionally draining experience. Why? Christmas crusaders.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who honestly believe that insisting people say “happy holidays” in lieu of “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Chanukkah” in an effort to be politically correct and socially inclusive is some sort of deep and affecting attack on one's free speech. These people are the worst, and these people are why I hate the holidays now.

Look, people, You are not being oppressed. If you work in a public service job and your boss demands you say happy holidays, then that's the rules. It's not oppression any more than demanding someone in food service with piercings take them out or a long beard cover it. It's a workplace safety policy, not some political campaign to limit your free speech. It doesn't matter if it's 'your country' and 'you've done it this way forever', change is good, change is necessary, and change is what's going to propel us into the future. If you are against change for the collective greater good due to some misplaced adherence to tradition, then you completely miss the point, and you're no better than the rednecks who still honestly think that gay marriage should be outlawed.

So I repeat, you are not being oppressed, nobody is telling you that you can't wish your family and friends a merry christmas; nobody is demanding you take your santa and reindeer decorations down; and nobody is limiting your free speech. Being so aggressively in favor of 'put the christ in christmas' is not you fighting for your rights or raging against the machine, it's more like a teenaged rebellion; little more than a juvenile outcry for attention.

Just say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or whatever you want to say and stop pretending you're such a hero, and we'll all get along so much better.   

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Wow. Did not expect this to go unnoticed!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

I don't mind (as a Christian) people saying happy holidays, during this time of year. There are other holidays people celebrate other than Christmas, so that's not a problem with me. Say what you want.

I don't like, however, the term X-mas. It's quite offensive and takes away the only part of Christmas that is worth celebrating for me, the Christ. Other than that, I'm good.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

I love when people say christmas is about jesus, when he wasn't born anywhere near december.

I am a little confused after reading your thoughts, because at one point you say if your boss demands "Happy Holidays" to be the politicly correct term then that's the one you are forced to use. But in the end you say use whatever makes you happy which you won't be able to do if someone is forcing his views on you like you stated earlier.

I think most peoples problems is they feel that they cannot use whichever expression they want, you being one of them, because there is always someone somewhere that feels the need to shove his opinion down our throats.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
I don't mind (as a Christian) people saying happy holidays, during this time of year. There are other holidays people celebrate other than Christmas, so that's not a problem with me. Say what you want.

I don't like, however, the term X-mas. It's quite offensive and takes away the only part of Christmas that is worth celebrating for me, the Christ. Other than that, I'm good.

Well, considering Christ wasn't born in December, and the holiday was stolen from Pagans, Christmas really isn't about Christ.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

WIzarDE said:
I am a little confused after reading your thoughts, because at one point you say if your boss demands "Happy Holidays" to be the politicly correct term then that's the one you are forced to use. But in the end you say use whatever makes you happy which you won't be able to do if someone is forcing his views on you like you stated earlier.

I think most peoples problems is they feel that they cannot use whichever expression they want, you being one of them, because there is always someone somewhere that feels the need to shove his opinion down our throats.

I don't have a boss that cares, but I know a lot of people who do.  

And I think you should say whatever you want.  If you want to say Happy Holidays, go ahead!  If you want to say Merry christmas, enjoy!  I don't know a lot of people out there who actually give a damn (as in, no jews I know will throw a tantrum if you tell them Merry christmas).  So say what you want, be who you are and celebrate what you always have, but don't act like you're a hero for 'maintaining' your traditions in the face of 'oppression', which is what some people seem to think this is.  

People believe there is a War on christmas, and that, by PUSHING the "I SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT" mentality, they are somehow acting like heroes of the holidays. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

But Bill O'Reilly told me there was a war on Christmas and that I should be outraged. And he has a T.V. show.

I block my religious cousins from Facebook every December so as not to attack those dull poor bastards.

Runa216 said:
ps3-sales! said:

Well, considering Christ wasn't born in December, and the holiday was stolen from Pagans, Christmas really isn't about Christ.  

That isn't the point. It's widely recognized as a Christian holiday, that many non-christians celebrate as well, which is fine. Christmas in escence is indeed about Christ. It's also about giving and sharing love and respect to others. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros