By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - %Market Share 02/11/2007 - 02/10/2007

I alt-prntscreen then crop them in photoshop (GiMP would work too, and is free)

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network
CrashMan said:
How are you a price whore if you are losing money on a console sale? Is Nintendo a price whore for making a profit on the wii?

It is without doubt that MS has reduced construction costs of the 360 (though with the RRoD Warantee, who knows where they stand.)

That fact of the matter is MS has a much larger price drop window than the PS3 has. I seriously doubt the ability of Sony to drop the PS3 price another $50-100, but I am sure MS can, or soon will be able to.

everyone also thought sony was gonna lose millions this quarter and they didnt. fact is sony already has a price drop planned. i work for gamestop and they are waitng for the MGS4 release and its dropping 50-100 bucks. no one knows how much sony can afford to drop the price so stop guessing.

when xbox goes down so will sony VERY soon after. that i will bet you anything on.

^Even if all of that DOES happen, why wouldn't a 360 price drop spur 360 sales? Especially if they get sub-$300. Will the PS3 get sub-300 when the 360 does?

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Basically shows the yearly accumulated marketshare of each console. Obviously we don't have much of 2008 data, nor any 2009/2010 data, but it's from my (being updated) comparisons, so it's in there for when we get to that point. I have 2 other graphs that show yearly marketshare in each region, but it's too big and i can't seem to shrink it down. It shows the breakdown of sales for each year. I'll continuing trying though.

Edit: Here's a link to the last graph, if anyone wishes to see it. 

DMeisterJ said:
@ The Big Fat J

So you want to bet that the PS3 won't hit 25 percent this year?

what'd be the terms?

I wouldnt do that if I were you. Just think about the numbers his given.
Though I applaud TheBigFatJ for coming here to educate, I learned a lot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
Stever89 said:

Basically shows the yearly accumulated marketshare of each console. Obviously we don't have much of 2008 data, nor any 2009/2010 data, but it's from my (being updated) comparisons, so it's in there for when we get to that point. I have 2 other graphs that show yearly marketshare in each region, but it's too big and i can't seem to shrink it down. It shows the breakdown of sales for each year. I'll continuing trying though.

Interesting numbers.  All three consoles will be stronger than either the Xbox or Gamecube this time around, so we won't likely see the level of market share domination we experienced with the PS2.

TheBigFatJ said:
Stever89 said:

Interesting numbers. All three consoles will be stronger than either the Xbox or Gamecube this time around, so we won't likely see the level of market share domination we experienced with the PS2.

Yeah the GameCube and Xbox really didn't even stand a chance. By the time they were even released, the PS2 had very similar numbers in each region that the Wii has now. Worldwide the PS2 had 21 million at the end of 2001, and the GameCube and Xbox had a combined userbase of only 4 million at that point. It was over before it even began. Microsoft attempted to do a similar feat, but only managed to get about 7 million 360s out there before the Wii and PS3 were released.

DMeisterJ said:
God 360 is falling, and Wii is rising like a rocket. PS3 is doing that whole slow and steady thing, it may hit 25% or even 30% by the end of this year.

You're not gonna hit 28% but 25% is a possibility.

I could easilly see something like this at the end of 2008.

PS3 : 25%

Xbox360 : 28%

Wii : 47%

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

TheBigFatJ said:
Look at just the line for the Xbox 360. It's crashing. I wonder how much longer that can continue.

The 360 should have been falling for a while at least, because it started off with the whole (next gen) market. From there, the only way you can go is down, and it most certainly did when the Wii and PS3 hit the market.

@Crashman; pricedrops don't help if no one wants your product, and that is the essence of the 360's problem. The X-box had numerous pricecuts and was always very cheap, but failed to sell well even in the mass market range.
There seems to be very little interest for the 360 outside the US, so it has basically one market in which to sell.
The way things stand now it is very unlikely that MS will gain more foothold in Eu/Others or Japan, going by current demand and last gen there seems to be a very small market for them there. The PS3 is improving in every market and is outselling the 360 by a fair amount in every market outside of NA by now and the numbers are likely to increase as this years very anticipated titles arrive.
All MS can do is keep the NA market buzzing and hope numbers in EU remain decent at least.

I know they could cut the price, but like I said; I don't think its the price holding the 360 back, its the overall image. Peter Moore himself, while working in the 360 division, said that they had an image problem and a big part of his job was to fix it. He failed at it, as is evident in the Japanese market especially, and he knows it. I think that is partially why he quit.
All in all, don't expect the 360 to sell much more than it already does, there's really not any way to do that with only one good market.